CONLANG  November 2012, Week 3

CONLANG November 2012, Week 3

The Cananite Wedding In Flanders Fields

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 16 Nov 2012 12:16:52 -0800

--- On Wed, 11/14/12, Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> However, since the last three exercises have been poems,
> may I suggest that we do some prose next?  Right now
> I’m working on a
> translation of “The Marriage at Cana” which can be found
> in John 2:1-11.  It’s
> a lovely little story that only takes eleven
> sentences.  Plus, I have the
> challenge of figuring out what to do in a world that has no
> wine and where marriages are usually solemn events.

Alright! Here is the episode in question as you'll read it Apstalenbok,
the deeds of the Shepherd of Valor and her Twelve Warrior Princesses.

Noue beyng acom agayn fram te uuyvere slahyng, tat felle antiocke dracko, te wase twalef hedez usblewe some uapoure noyesome tat mande fello any manne, te Twalef demfande apresset verement yn to te nerewe crevase nihe te monstre layre. “Alas ande wa war ous!” pleynget Geonhield, oure Laydye scieldmayd. “Yef we ne wenyo terh tis crevase ande dounstricko yon overwoxe nadre, twar ous dowt! O tat oure Laydy accame wed ous dourant tis murrye auventure, for her sax be te bleyd noble tat hete Demon Dascer ande her saxarm be t’ egal amang en douze men-at-arme estoult!”

Ten pleynget Helga: “Naye seoster! Te uualcuringez nale no ous nemo tis daye; ne yef we cane but tengelo tis wymre his troten ac oure ayne saxen! Forwartes seoster ande strecke for oure Laydye onouze!”

And suuo, tey meynfully slewe te Antioche dracke, ande toke terefrom his illgate tresore, ande te Twalef came finalment to te fayre ciutat tat hete Canan, wer tey amang te pouvren tey metet te tresore proufecten from her aventure ac te dracke ac mencioune praiviouse. Ande ter was her fayre Laydy, t’ Heirdefunsez, wha hem mete ac te cwene poyssaunte over tat lande, t’ archon noble Atalward ac uuarm ande geontele uuelcome, for twas te casus tat te Twalef war acome yn to Canan ter te cheoino ac her fayre Laydye a festing her brydelope te cwene her eldermast tauhter, yarlez Eaustrabert. Ande tey ter hem restet treo dayes ere to festo.

Noue, Eaustrabertez was acome yn to her seofentene yare and ho te her selfe some cnafe ac noble bering ho her toke ande all was adone accum te costume yn tat Canane lande. Ande amang tos noblefolcke notable yn tat reoiome was te Heirde moter, Merriqiz te heouenereoiome cwen. Ande ho seeing tat t’ aluw rane nesufficient for alle tem quaffing gasten, ho to her fayre tauhter wertet secging: “Beloke vouz myne ayne tauhter! Te aluwe tunnez rune ac dryhnese, ande eke te meduwe hedez.”

Wheron sechet te fayre tauhter: “Moter myne, what thynge be tis accum me? Tis fest come finending tis nehte ande yet be her woine aplenitat.”

Her moter merely to her tauhter loket, her sterne mutelippez breocket ne acontredixioune ande her eyan aflascing tey damandet balte ande estoulte axioune! Yet te tauhter hawet, sehwet ande her allerworscepfull motere secget: “Tes ne mine tym te noue!” Yet te fayre ande allerpoissaunte cwen her tauhter haldet yn her sternmaste oelleyde, ande ho withdrewe. Te cwen ten esmerquet ande to te servingman clappet, secging: “Goe vouz ande doe what tis Laydy bide vouz doeo, ande be vouz cwicke accum!”

Sehing on te borde, heheheapet ac veittuellen, meten deliciouse ande pastat ricouse, sate vacuouse syx meduwe hedez, ande ho him secget: “Doe vouz but peoro ther yn to en hede some acqouen from yon sisterne.”

But te man her andsware, secging: “But min fayre Laydy! Tat be te lavending acqouez, even t’ acqouen ac wan we hummely lavet tine fete ande hende!”

“Ya, tat be suuo! Doe uso even tos acqouen for tis warke. Noue goe to!”

Suuo te servingman yode ande doet suuo bedet te fayre Laydy him. Yet wen he tis dedet, te feste efron him sahe ande wat he dedet and walde fayn him layo te rode ac her ackene wande but tat our fayre Laydy tis forcnewe ande her clappet ere te pouvre scapman calde tako any harme. Ho t’ efrone secget: “Playcement doe but dyeppo tin yowldene laydele yn to yon meduwe hede ande doe servo te conteynte terof to yon yarle ande her moter noble te cwene.”

T’ efron was mickele afayret, for ho cenewe tat vacuouse war te meduwe hedez, ande fayret wat malde secgo her poyssante laydy wen tat ho her servet of te lavending acqouen from yon sisterne. Yet oure Laydye  uuisacg lucefrement yave her baltnese anew, ande ac passe dirme, passet ho to te cwene mense, her yowldene laydele to hande, ande servet ho tem alle terfrom.

Te cwen, asseoure tat was finendet te meduw wan te servingmen dydet peoro te woine for te gasten, et uuondret her mickele tis her efrone bowltnes. Yet deype ho drayet alang ac tey alle ottere ande neman calde finto fawlte yn tat suuote hedy meduwe tat forpeoret suuo raringe caterate from her beyeltet selfrene cornuwen ande smotely flewe downe her troten. Espaqe te cwen yn tyswise: “Frouw efron, et be oure tedefolca costum to formst servo te badast meduwe! Tys, wan tat te gastez be bade topet, tey nele seho whan tat we hem servo te leser breowe ande at te lattast orame, we serve te woine acerve. Ande her et be tat serve vouz te badast meduwe wan te fest be finending!”

En huw ande en pleyncg arase from te gasten for cwene Atalward ande her tauhtere brydelope. Ande tey yoet from tat playse to her forallotet accomodacioune, fawe cnewe tis was formst Signa to be ydoe by oure fayre Laydye befor te Twalef.

Aftwardes tis feste, oure Laydy yode her from Canane londe ac te Twalef ande tey souwhte some merrye aventure yn Cafrendone londe, wer en unlyving licceharyon orduw was roving ande reving tat lande ande wenes came herawlt from te desperate Suuentrygge, te lande archon, wase haryon war slayen by tat orduwe marodinge.

	* * *

Having come again from the slaying of the fell dragon of Antioch, whose twelve heads breathed forth a noxious vapour that would fell any man, the Twelve found themselves pressed indeed into the narrow defile nigh unto the monster’s lair. “Alas and woe were us!” cried Geunhieldez, the Shield Maiden of our dear Lady. “If we can not win through this defile and strike down yon overgrown adder, twere death for us! O that our Lady had accompanied us upon this merry venture, for her sword is the mighty blade Demon Breaker and her sword arm is the equal of a dozen stout men at arms!”

Then cried Helga: “Nay sister! The walcuringa shall not take us up this day; not if we can but tickle this worm’s throats with our own swords! Forth sisters and strike for our Lady’s honor!”

And so, having mainfully slain the dragon of Antioch, and having taken therefrom his ill gotten treasure, the Twelve at last came to the fair city of Cana, where they distributed among the poor there the proceeds of their honorable adventure with the dragon of previous mention. And there was their fair Lady, the Herder-of-Valor, who met them in the company of the puissant queen of that country, the noble archon Athalwardez with a gentle and warm welcome, for it was the case that the Twelve were come unto Cana to join with their fair Lady in celebrating the wedding of the queen’s eldest daughter, the princess Eaustrabertez. And there they rested three days before the feast.

Now, Eaustrabertez having come into her 17th year had taken to her a boy of suitable station and all was done according to the custom of the land of Cana. And among those notables of the realm was the mother of the Herder-of-Valor, Merriqiz the queen of the heavenly realm. And seeing that the ale was insufficient to the quaffing needs of the guests, turned to her fair daughter, saying: “Look, the ale tuns run towards driness, and eke the mead heads.”

Whereupon her fair daughter said: “Mother, what concern is that of mine? The feast ends this night and there be yet wine in plenty.”

Her mother only looked upon her daughter, her stern mouth brooking no contradiction and her
flashing eyes demanding bold action! Yet the daughter hesitated, sighed and said to her worshipful mother: “It is not yet my time!” Yet the fair and aller puissant queen held her daughter in her gaze, and she relented. The queen smiled then and called to one of the serving men, saying: “Do what the lady bids you do, and be quick about it!”

Seeing by the serving board, heaped high with victuals: delicious meats and rich pasties, six empty mead heads, she said to the man: “Do fill one of those mead heads with the water from yon cistern.”

But the man replied, saying: “But fair Lady! That is the washing waters, even the waters with which we humbly laved thy feet and hands!”

“Yes, that is so! Use even those waters for the task. Now go to!”

So the serving man went and did as the fair Lady had bidden him. Yet when he had done this, the overseer of the wedding feast saw what he had done and would have laid into him with her oaken wand, had not our dear Lady forseen this and called to her ere the poor chap could take any harm. She said to the overseer: “Kindly dip your golden ladle into yon mead head and serve therewith the contents thereof to the prinecss and her noble mother the queen.”

The overseer was much afeared, for she knew the mead was done, and feared what her puissant mistress might say when she was served with the laving waters from the cistern. Yet the radiant face of our fair Lady gave her a new confidence, and with bold steps, she strode up to the table of the queen, her golden ladle in hand, and served them all therewith.

The queen, who had suspected the ale was running dry when the guests were served with wine, wondered at this boldness of the overseer of the feast. Yet she drank a deep draught along with all the others and none could find fault with the heady sweet mead that poured like a roaring cataract from their gilt silvern drinking horns and flowed smoothely down their throats. The queen spake in thuswise: “Woman, it is the usual custom that the best mead is served first! Thus, once the guests are well sotted, they will not notice when the lesser brews and at last the sour wines are served. And here it is that the best is served at the ending of the feast!”

A great cry went up from the guests for queen Athalwardez and the wedding feast of her daughter. And as they departed thence for their alloted accomodations, few knew that this was the first Sign to be done by our fair Lady in the presence of the Twelve.

After this feast, our Lady departed from the land of Cana with the Twelve and they sought a merry and honorable adventure in the land of Cafrendon, where a horde of undead skelleton warriors was laying waste to the land and whence had come the messenger from a desperate Suuentryggez, archon of that land, whose armies had been decimated and whose fair daughters had been slain by the marauding horde.

Padraic