CONLANG  November 2012, Week 3

CONLANG November 2012, Week 3

Re: peoples's name

Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 20 Nov 2012 13:50:14 -0600

I remember hearing about how Hakka Chinese families have a family poem that
is used for naming purposes. Every child of the first generation will have
a name including the first character in the first line of the poem. (I
believe the norm, or perhaps the rule, was to use it as the first character
of the given name.)  Children of the second generation get names using the
second character, and so on till the family cycles through the whole poem
and then it starts over at the beginning.  Memorize the poem and you
immediately know if some hundred times removed cousin that you meet in the
market one day is from a generation above you (thus due respect) or from a
generation succeeding yours (thus owing *you* respect).  I don't know that
the custom is still in practice, or whether I have correctly represented
it.  But I remember it being discussed and examples of family poems being
posted on a Hakka list I used to participate on.

Adam