CONLANG December 2012, Week 1

Re: Hello

Nikolay Ivankov <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Dec 2012 09:58:55 +0100

On Sun, Dec 2, 2012 at 8:52 AM, Matthew Merlo <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

[snip]

> @Nikolay Ivankov, I'm more than willing to give any input I can on
> anything. The difference though between what you are talking about and what
> i am talking about is simply a matter of you are asking if I'd be willing
> to create stories and such for a world which is where a lot of people would
> want the least amount of collaboration on something where as language is
> something that a lot of people view as having no relevance to a story, but
> just an added trinket.

No Matthew, that's not what I mean about Your world and not how I view mine.

> The collaboration I am proposing is much closer to a middle ground where I
> understand that language is influenced by and influences things that happen
> so in a way it tells it's own story, but I want that story to fit in my
> world. If that makes sense to you.

The world of Tae nearly started with a language - the silent language of
Tiwari. Or, rather, the idea of the language existed before, and Tae just
became a suitable vessel. After becoming a part, or, rather, a spine of the
world, this language has obtained its ancestry, its story, its evolution,
its successors, its rivals. Since virtually every writing system of Tae
descends from Tiwari it has influenced the world to a very big extent.

On the other hand, I started writing stories only when I've understood two
things:

1. I will never create a game, where I could have visually put these
languages everywhere.
2. If I want other people to become interested in my *universe*, I need to
create at least something. If I want them to collaborate with me, I need
this something to be really intriguing.

The stories, in the end, are auxiliary. You see, going the Tolkien's way is
not a rare exception. For what I know, it's more a rule for the (artlang)
people on the list.

That's why I see much similarity between us. And that's why I want to warn
You, just because I don't want You to be discouraged by a
seeming absence of interest in others, as I was discouraged one day. In
fact, we are interested, but we have other worlds to explore, and also need
help there.