CONLANG  December 2012, Week 1

CONLANG December 2012, Week 1

Re: proliferation of parts of speech

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 2 Dec 2012 17:13:25 -0500

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 09:44:10 -0700, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 30 November 2012 12:52, Amanda Babcock Furrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 02:26:28AM -0500, Alex Fink wrote:
>>
>>> It occurs to me that I've never seen someone try to be strange by going the other way.  I've never seen a lang with the stated premiss that instead of the various predicate meanings being realised by only a few parts of speech -- nouns, verbs, adjectives, say -- there are instead a whole zoo of them, on the order of ten or more, each with their own essentially distinct character in morphology and syntax, as different as familiar nouns and verbs are.  (Plus of course some non-predicatey parts of speech, pronouns or conjunctions or what have you.)
>>>
>>> Anyone have any interesting ideas on what such hyper-differentiated parts of speech might be?
>>
>> I had a vague plan some years back for an alien language that was a patchwork
>> of different grammars, as if they'd developed different languages for talking
>> about things being inside things vs. things moving somewhere vs. colors.  I
>> never manifested any part of it.  I was rather convinced it was doomed not
>> to meet its goals; that the distinctions I'd end up making would be artificial
>> and hard to keep separate.
>
>This reminds me again of the Neanderthal language
>(http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/pleisto.html) that's been
>mentioned a couple of times recently.

Yes, exactly.   Though, at that, the implication for parts of speech depends on whether one takes it that the _syntax_ of Pleistocenese is idiosyncratic enough to motivate lots and lots of classes, or whether rather the syntax is simple while the pragmatics, and the compelling power of collocations, are what induces the wealth of sui generis behaviour.  My own sense is that it's the latter, and that two or three parts of speech seems right, after JBR's own analysis that mentions the division into "content-words" and "structure-words", and suggests perhaps a few subdivisions among the latter and none among the former class.  (But studying the examples closer might enlighten.)

(Also, the first recent mention of Pleistocenese in this last week mighta even been mine.  So much forgetting of examples on my part!)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 14:52:43 -0500, Amanda Babcock Furrow <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>If I had created this language (system of languages), it'd have been something
>like: there is a word in the "container" part-of-speech to denote a basket.
>There is a word in the "color" part-of-speech for red.  There is no syntax
>for a "color" and a "container" to apply directly to one another, so to say
>the basket is red, you'd need to either find the word in the "colored-object"
>part-of-speech that best denoted a basket and use that, or else find a
>derivational process that can transform a "container" into a "colored-object"....

Yes, I think that kind of thing would need to happen to a degree in this language, that certain kinds of properties (etc.) would have to have their own kinds of syntaxes.

But I fear that, if one just created a colour part of speech and a shape part of speech and a part of speech for material etc etc., eventually one would run out of tricks to do with the syntax to make them actually _different_, and one would end up short of reasons not to analyse them as subclasses of one adjective part of speech, with morphology that happens to fusionally express semantic class and whatever else it ordinarily expresses.

This can be avoided, I think, by making _well-fitted_ syntactic subsystems for various kinds of properties (etc.).  For instance, spatial stuff is a very richly structured field, and this is one of the reasons I was so excited about positionals / Leland's depictives: you might even be able to milk multiple classes out of it, corresponding to position and configuation and motion or whatnot, with (as Jim says) things like direction and speed specially encoded.

On the other hand, for e.g. colour, I don't see so much you can do.  You could have some colour-spacey RGBoid subsystem, I guess, but that's internal derivational morphology, and in the end colour is a pretty good example of a property that doesn't interact with much of anything else.  (In my professional mathematical life, we sometimes say objects are "coloured" when what we mean is that they have some extra bit of data the identity of whose values is otherwise meaningless.)

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:53:56 -0500, Jim Henry <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I think speech verbs and
>verbs of thinking/perceiving had their own unique morphological
>categories as well

Don't go poring several hours over your notebooks only on my behalf, but I would love to know what these unique categories were.

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 19:26:16 -0800, Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Talarian does this a bit: stative verbs are very distinct morphologically
>(all roots show the same unvarying ablaut grade, very distinct set of
>endings, unique set of pronouns) from the active verbs. Among the active
>verbs, the two broad conjugations are radically different: punctual verbs
>conjugate for person, number and aspect, while durative verbs conjugate
>for person, number and tense.

Mm, yes, a stative vs. active distinction could be worth stealing too.  (And being short-termwise obsessed with positionals, how does it fit with them? hm...)

On Sat, 1 Dec 2012 10:20:15 -0700, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On 30 November 2012 00:07, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 01:42:13 -0600, George Corley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>>I have heard
>>>that some syntacticians believe there are maybe a half dozen types of
>>>adverbs that can have different syntactic restrictions, though AFAIK that
>>>theory requires you to go down a particular generative rabbit hole that I'm
>>>not sure I want to mess with myself.
>>
>> I should like to hear a bit more of this, if only to judge how moored it is to the world outside the rabbit hole!  But there are definitely some ways we should break down the adverb: as Stevo points out, disjuncts should well be something entirely separate.
>
>Disjuncts could be very fun if there are ways of constructing complex
>ones, a la relative clauses.  If adjectives and adverbs are treated
>separately, one could have a total of four different modifier classes
>(or more with more different kinds of adverbials split out);
>otherwise, just adjunctive vs. disjunctive modifiers. I would expect
>disjunctive and adjunctive adjectives to end up grouped differently in
>a configurational language- e.g., all disjunctives come first, then
>all adjunctives, or adjunctives before a noun and disjunctives after.
>Disjunctive relative clauses would provide the restrictive vs.
>non-restrictive distinction that we have in English relative clauses.
>And compound adverbials could be formed with some kind of "like x"
>structure, with different kinds of "like" to indicate a disjunctive
>phrase vs. an adjunctive phrase.

Hm.  I do like the idea of complex disjuncts.  But to me it seems the case for establishing these various classes as distinct parts of speech, rather than just different syntactic constituents, would be best made by the underived forms in them.  Even there it could be a bit arguable: e.g. I've not seen anyone advance multiple adjective classes for English on the grounds of *"black big dog".

I would expect a disjunct modifying a noun to be something like "I'm going to meet the hopeful president", with "hopeful" read as 'who I hope will be'.  I guess I can sort of see how to interpret it as a restrictive vs. nonrestrictive distinction, but I'd be inclined to take the 'commentary on the described state of affairs' function to be more central.  (Or is this a clever way to increase the distinctiveness of the classes that I haven't cottoned onto?)

On the point of splitting adverbs from adjectives, my thoughts are that, at least in an SAE-esque language, the underived adverbs do fall into some heterogeneous classes of the sort which would be conducive to further splitting.  For instance, time adverbs could split off, and their distinctiveness maintained by folding them into the tense system.

>> On Thu, 29 Nov 2012 08:30:33 -0700, Daniel Myers <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>>Perhaps you could split nouns into two different types - subject and
>>>object - that cannot be used for the other role?
>>>For example, "I drove the car" and "The automobile broke down" would be
>>>allowed, but not "I drove the automobile" or "The car broke down".
>>
>> Hm.  This is sorta like something I had in mind, which is to try to split animate and inanimate nouns apart.  Say that only animate nouns can be agents, and to reinforce it insist on something completely different with sentences that might otherwise have an inanimate subject (don't allow casting inanimates to animates here).
>
>What would solidify this for me is if there was some way of deriving
>syntactic animates from syntactic inanimates (implying that the split
>is not always 100% semantically sensible). Some kind of derivational
>operator would be evidence that there really are two separate
>syntactic classes, rather than just a split-alignment system triggered
>by animate/inanimate genders.

Yeah, explicit derivational operators would be good for this, together with a spot of Doc Myers' initial suggestion, having some referents just have unrelated words in multiple classes ("fear" / "afraid" or whatever).

>On the other hand, one could make an
>argument that proper nouns really are a different class than regular
>nouns because of, e.g., not being able to take adjectives, and run
>with that. Now this is reminding me of my sketch of a language that
>requires tons of voice transformations because of proper nouns not
>being allowed to occur in any syntactic position except subject.

Hm, what else could proper names do distinctly?

>> Hey, wait a minute, that physical / mental split of the verb class is what Elkarîl does!
>>   http://zompist.com/elkaril.htm#Case
>
>I really like this one because it clearly demonstrates the fact that
>these different 'verb' types actually do occupy different syntactic
>positions, as evidenced by the fact that a) one of each type can occur
>in any clause without coordination (so they're not competing for the
>same syntactic position like multiple English verbs in one clause
>would be) and b) they occur with fixed relative order (though this
>applies only because Elkaril happens to have configurational grammar)

and

On Fri, 30 Nov 2012 21:49:28 -0800, Leland Paul Kusmer <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 11:07 PM, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> Hey, wait a minute, that physical / mental split of the verb class is what
>> Elkarîl does!
>>   http://zompist.com/elkaril.htm#Case
>> So, I take it back, there's at least one language that has gone for
>> weirdness in this fashion.  And delightfully so.
>
>Ooh – this is lovely. My personal aesthetics make me want to see what would
>happen if you made this language more inflecting and then allowed word
>order variations for information structure. Or, more generally, gave
>significantly different morphology to the four classes (two verb-like, two
>noun-like) outlined in that section. Mental verbs, i.e., might not inflect
>for tense. Or, hey, you could have evidential systems on both, but
>different systems – given that the mental verbs would be unlikely to be
>direct-observation knowable, anyway.

I hadn't gotten as far as thinking about information structure and word order variations, but similar thoughts had already been percolating in my mind about the differing morphology.

As I've said above, I am taken by this system of positionals = your depictives, with the other physical verbs subordinate to them.  (A fragment of a kinda mimetic system of positionals, for static arrangements, came to me already; perhaps I'll post that.)
Regarding tense, I had the idea that for positionals one could try to do a bit of unification of space-time and thereby fold the tense marking in, along the lines of the way andatives often grammaticalise into futures.  You know, "dog is on a trajectory towards fish, and eats it" [with reference point here-and-now] for 'dog will eat fish'.  If one adopted that, mentals could by contrast have a more conventional tense system (even if just a past vs. present).

And evidentials, with "directly observed" only an option (perhaps the zero-marked one?) for the physical side -- except in first person -- yes, that's brilliant.

>> It's also brought to mind a word class which some Mesoamerican languages
>> have -- what's it called? -- oh yeah, _positionals_.
>>   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mayan_languages#Statives_and_positionals
>
>> That's somewhat like these depictives but, from the examples I've seen,
>> with a greater focus on _configuration_; "in a heap on the ground" or
>> "wound around something" or "crouching" would be typical members.
>
>Hadn't come across this, before! Yes – depictives are quite similar to
>this, but as a distinct morphosyntactic category. Also, *configuration*! I
>knew there was a better word to describe what I was after than "spatial
>relationships"... Many depictives would be configurational – I believe I
>had a "curled up" one, for instance – though they would explicitly never
>have denoted points of reference, e.g. "on the ground" – they might have
>"on a flat surface", I suppose, but more likely "on something" where the
>thing could be specified by a nominal argument.

Mm, yes, that is cleaner.  But I suspect natlangs would not be punctilious about this.  I made up my above examples, and don't know the actual inventories of the Mayan positionals, but, for instance, Wikipedia cites Q'anjob'al _woqan_ 'of a person, sitting _on a chairlike object_' -- hard to tell from the gloss whether this is purely a matter of shape, though it may be.  Or again, in the lexical suffix inventories of the Pacific Northwest, alongside a number of suffixes which refer strictly to position one finds things like 'out of water', 'in a fire', 'in the house'.

>Ok, for example, you might have a sentence of the form:
[...]

So you've got a triggeresque voice system.  For my proliferate language I was thinking that it'd probably help reinforce other word-class boundaries if my positionals took an agentive subject.  Though that doesn't really resolve what to do with inanimate motive forces, like wind.

>4) woman-TOP move.wanderingly-Ag go.by.boat-PST-3s city
>"The woman wandered toward the city by boat."
>
>Note that this, not being goal-oriented, does not necessarily mean that the
>city was her destination – only that she was moving in the direction of the
>city. If we raised "city" to topic, this interpretation would change – she
>would now be bound for the city (but not necessarily getting there).
>
>5) woman-TOP distributed.stochastically.through.volume-Ag go.by.boat-PST-3s
>city
>"The woman went to the city by boat now and again."

That's an interesting role for the topicality.  I'm also surprised that you've used a gloss for the depictive there that seems static -- is the verb carrying the entirety of the sense of motion there?  My organisational impulse for that sentence would've been to frame it as the boat moving in the depictive, though I guess that's worse for making the woman topical.  Hm.

>Depictives that have no immediately obvious physical interpretation often
>metaphorically take on aspectual interpretations.
>
>6) distributed.stochastically.through.volume me
>"I'm scatter-brained."

How's that aspectual?

>Depictives are the one syntactically necessary category in every sentence,
>and select either a noun or a verb phrase as argument. (6) is thus a
>minimal sentence in tükwäi.
>
>(7) me-TOP horizontal.to.goal-Pt teacher
>"I'm becoming a teacher." (or "became" – unmarked for tense)
>
>An example of a nominal predicate. The marking on the depictive can change
>interpretation – if it were marked agent, this might be something more like
>"I'm trying to become a teacher." It wouldn't be "I'm going towards a
>teacher" – that requires a verb.

Oh, that answers my question above.  So I wonder how much this proliferate language should use motion metaphors.

Alex