Monospaced Font

CONLANG  December 2012, Week 3

CONLANG December 2012, Week 3

Re: Proto-Yanyarin phonology and orthography revisited

Nikolay Ivankov <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 16 Dec 2012 22:29:46 +0100

On Sun, Dec 16, 2012 at 9:53 PM, Melroch <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Do _r, l_ both denote /R\/? If yes I'd definitely make /B\/ a phoneme and
> denote it with _r_!

Sorry, I wasn't able to understand the notation, for I'm not that good at
SAMPA. Did You mean epiglottal thrill by /RV and bilabial thrill by /BV? If
this is the case, then my explanation is following.

The aim was to create a language with as little number of consonants that
would be as exotic as possible. So I've ended up with just 2: [?] and
[O\_v]. The symbols r, n, h and d (z in previous versions) were thought to
modify the surrounding vowels. In particular, _r_ should be the sign
denoting the strident phonation.

As I've understood that I need a protolang to construct words, I came up
with an idea of a language with more consonants, that have dissipated
within time. Thus, it seems to me, that, the strident phonantion should
result as a dissipation of some uvular/glottal thrill. Now,
1) I'd like to keep track of notation from proto to modern Yanjarin
2) Since it's a common project, I need my collaborators to be able to read
what I write in Yanyarin, at least in some approximation.
3) Yanya are, despite their name, are more "orkish/Dothraki" in appearance.

Thus, I'd prefer to keep _r_ rather than _l_, especially since all the
b-sounds will in the end dissipate to u/nasalization. _Yanyarin_ in the end
sounds more, you know, agressive than _yanyalin.