CONLANG  December 2012, Week 4

CONLANG December 2012, Week 4

Re: Soliciting comments on SympolTalk, an unconventional language

Patrick Dunn <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Dec 2012 22:30:11 -0600

I'm responding as a linguist here, so please take that into account and
don't think I'm being excessively critical.

1.  What you describe isn't technically a language.  That's not a flaw, and
it doesn't mean you need to stop *calling* it a language, but a linguist
wouldn't consider this a full language, because it can't communicate about
any idea and isn't precise enough to express all possible thoughts, which
languages are.  That's not a flaw, necessarily, because have other such
symbol systems for specific purposes and they're quite useful (Yes, you can
talk about general relativity in !Xhosa just as you can in English -- but
it's easier in "mathematics," which isn't a language).

2.  There is no such thing as a primitive grammar.  To some linguists, it's
almost borderline offensive to suggest that there is.

3.  I think this is a really cool idea and I look forward to seeing how it
develops.

--Patrick

order from Finishing Line
and