CONLANG  January 2013, Week 1

CONLANG January 2013, Week 1

Re: Consonant clusters

Benct Philip Jonsson <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 1 Jan 2013 17:54:27 +0100

In Swedish voice assimilation is always devoicing in both directions.
Granted Swedish lenis stops are actually voiced only between two vowels or
a vowel and a sonorant but in compounds like _fotboll bakdel utgång_
'soccer, back part/butt, exit' the assimilation is to the point that the
second stop is aspirated!

As for morphological salience counteracting cluster simplification it is
probably not altogether uncommon. However it is not universal. The Swedish
word _väst-kust-sk-t_ 'west-coast-ish-N.SG' is famous as a case of a
monster final cluster and there are two morpheme boundaries in the cluster,
but the word is actually normally pronounced ['v\Es:k8s:kt] although it now
occurs to me that all three morphemes are preserved at least in reduced
form.

I guess syllable timing vs. stress timing might have a lot to do with
clusters being preserved in some languages but lost in others. It should be
noted however that Modern Greek has restructured all old stop + stop
clusters into fricative + stop, although stop + stop have been reintroduced
in loans from Ancient Greek.

As for Greek /ks/- becoming /z/- in English it may be because something
looking like _x_ was used as an abbreviation for final /Vuz/ in Old French.
When the diphthongs that /u/ was part of monophthongized _x_ was perceived
as a spelling for /z/, so I guess _x-_ /z/ is a case of mistaken graphemic
identity.

/bpj