CONLANG  January 2013, Week 2

CONLANG January 2013, Week 2

Re: human language origins

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 14 Jan 2013 01:52:48 +0000

R A Brown, On 13/01/2013 21:01:
> Macnabit - just when we get interesting threads on Conlang,
> some on another list I subscribe to is claiming that the
> language behind Linear A is Japanese!!
>
> I'm afraid I've got rather occupied with that bit of idiocy
> and just haven't been able to keep up with all the Conlang
> emails :(

<http://xkcd.com/386/>

I know the feeling.

> On 12/01/2013 20:34, And Rosta wrote:
>> Stage 1. Apesong -- partly innate, and the origin of
>> syntagmatic phonological structure in modern human
>> language. (Innateness strikes me as the best explanation
>> for cross-linguistic similarities in phonological
>> syntagmatics.)
>
> I won't get into arguments about innateness, and whether it
> has some Platonic implication here. But, yes, I basically
> go along with this.
>
>> Stage 2. Naming. Assignment of meanings to apesong
>> patterns, to yield lexical symbols. This could be a
>> product of general intelligence and cultural rather than
>> biological evolution, since an impulse to communicate
>> will lead to creation of names.
>>
>> Stage 3. Predication (subject--predication relation).
[typo: "subject--predicate" relation]
>> This could yield two-word 'sentences'. AFAICS there's no
>> basis for predication in logic or general human
>> cognition, yet predication seems pretty universal, so I
>> conjecture it's innate.
>
> I find Stage 3 unconvincing (not even certain about Stage 2).

Surely if you agree with Stage 1, you must accept that Stage 2 is a logically inevitable step from Stage 1 to modern human language?

For clarity, by "name" I meant "conventionalized sound--meaning pairing", not "proper noun".

As for Stage 3, which bitdo you think is unconvincing? Note that Stage 3 is not a logically necessary step from Stage 2 to Stage 4. Rather it serves just to explain the universality of predication.

>> Stage 4. Syntax (proper) and morphology. I conjecture
>> this evolved through the 'holistic' method of perceiving
>> systematicity in originally coincidental similarities of
>> sound--meaning patterns across words. This requires
>> massive levels of creativity, both to evolve the system
>> in the first place, and then for each individual to
>> puzzle it out through exposure to it.
>
> OK.
>
>> I conjecture that Neanderthals were at Stage 2 or 3, and
>> Stage 4 marks the transition to modern humans:
>
> Why? Why were Neanderthals unable to reach Stage 4? that,
> I guess, is the major difference between our positions.

I tried to spell out my reasoning in the snipped material -- probably I spelt it out poorly. If we equate the intellectual genius involved in creating and learning language with the creativity modern humans have and neanderthals appear to lack, we have can account for the two developments (cultural and linguistic) with a single cause. Additionally, if the genius for complex language came first, with the powers of analysis, pattern-finding, abductive reasoning and creativity that it entails, it's hard to see how it could not rub off on neanderthal culture. Remember that I maintain that neanderthal (pre-)language was not an ineffectual tool for communication: it could have had an enormous vocabulary, and neanderthals could have had human-like pragmatic abilities (or better, even).

> I've ordered Steven Mithen's book ;)

I look forward to hearing your thoughts. From the short reviews I looked at today, it sounds as though it has more to say about music than it does about language.

Jörg Rhiemeier, On 13/01/2013 21:38:
>>> Stage 2. Naming. Assignment of meanings to apesong
>>> patterns, to yield lexical symbols. This could be a
>>> product of general intelligence and cultural rather than
>>> biological evolution, since an impulse to communicate
>>> will lead to creation of names.
>>>
>>> Stage 3. Predication (subject--predication relation).
>>> This could yield two-word 'sentences'. AFAICS there's no
>>> basis for predication in logic or general human
>>> cognition, yet predication seems pretty universal, so I
>>> conjecture it's innate.
>>
>> I find Stage 3 unconvincing (not even certain about Stage 2).
>
> Chimps at least manage what And calls "Stage 2", and I think
> also "Stage 3".  They do not yet have syntax, but can express
> the order "Give me a banana!" by striking keys labeled with
> symbols for "me", "give" and "banana" in random orders, striking
> them again for more emphasis.  This is lexicon without syntax,
> I would say.  This is what I call a "linear language".

Interesting. What's the evidence for chimps managing Stage 3?

>>> I conjecture that Neanderthals were at Stage 2 or 3, and
>>> Stage 4 marks the transition to modern humans:
>> Why?  Why were Neanderthals unable to reach Stage 4?   that,
>> I guess, is the major difference between our positions.
>
> I think Neanderthals already had syntax.  But there is something
> more to human languages which And has not mentioned: recursion.
> We can form clauses that contain other clauses, noun phrases that
> contain other noun phrases, etc.  Human languages do not have
> formal limits of how deep their syntactic structures can be nested,
> though the limits of human short term memory constrain these in
> practice.
>
> You can have syntax without recursion (some older programming
> languages such as BASIC or assembly languages lack recursion, but
> they do have syntax nevertheless), but such a "language" (I call
> it a "hierarchical language") would be much more limited than full-
> fledged human language with recursion.  We don't know when recursion
> occured in the evolution of human language, but it probably was a
> good deal later than syntax.  Maybe Neanderthals did not yet have
> recursion.

I did respond in another message to your mention of recursion. AFAICS a language that allows recursion (as you've defined it, i.e. XPs containing XPs) is simpler than a language that forbids it -- simpler as a system, and no more costly in processing. I can't see any basis for suggesting recursion as the difference (other than as an homage to Chomsky et al) -- why would neanderthal language lack recursion, and what basis do we have for suggesting it did?

There are theories of grammar that take isomorphism between the syntagmatics of phonology and the syntagmatics of syntax as the null hypothesis (e.g. Glossematics, Notional Grammar, early Government Phonology and Dependency Phonology), and (Onset (Nucleus Coda)) structure has been proposed as the evolutionary origin of (S (V O)) (Carstairs-McCarthy). If the earliest syntactic syntagmatics was a copy of phonological syntagmatics, then we would indeed expect earliest syntax to lack recursion, since phonological syntagmatics does. But I don't find the syntax--phonology isomorphism idea at all persuasive.

--And.