Monospaced Font

CONLANG  January 2013, Week 3

CONLANG January 2013, Week 3

A Practice Conlang - For Your Enjoyment & Critiques

"J. M. DeSantis" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 19 Jan 2013 05:54:50 -0500

Conlang List,

First of all, I just want to warn and apologise about the length. I'm
listing all of the information here on a short, quick conlang exercise I
did, for those who are interested, so this message is going to be quite
long, in the end.

That said, even though I'm behind on where I want to be in my script for
a Chadhiyana graphic novel (which I've started writing and is part of
the fantasy world, which includes many conlangs, I've been working on
and which. I also mentioned previously, I published a small preview
comic for the character, Chadhiyana), I was in the midst of creating new
names for some characters and had a startling revelation. Though I've
been coining new words and names, stumbling in the dark through the
process (seemingly), I realised I've never created a conlang from
(relative) start to finish. So I decided to take some time over the past
two days and create something new that I could coin some names from and
write a few sentences in. I wasn't concerned so much with how the
language sounded. Merely this was an exercise I took on to get ideas on
paper, commit to choices made, and build a working structure. A sketch,
so to speak. Practice. The exercise was both eye opening and surprising.
Some of the language, to me, sounds very good to my ear, though, as
usual with my conlangs, I find concentrating on the language first
results in awkward names. Whereas, creating names first, makes the
language difficult to build properly. (Anyone else have this problem or
know how to solve it?) But, first the language in full. And note it *is*
very small; I was just trying to build something quick to put together a
few sentences with, but I thought I'd share it anyway. After that,
perhaps a few more comments:

PHONOLOGY:
As in English: /B, D, K, L, M, N, P, T/
F *f*ar
G *g*et
H *h*orse
R trilled
S initially and finally say*s*. Elsewhere *s*even
V *v*ery
W *w*et
I initially before a vowel, *y*ore. Elsewhere, vowel i

A f*a*ther
E *e*ducate
I st*ee*l
U s*oo*n
AI st*a*ke
EI gr*ey*

Word Order: SOV
No definite or indefinite articles
2 noun classes: neuter & living things
Neuter Endings: L, M, N
Living-Things Endings: B, D, K

Prefixes (for Morphology):
atru- multiple
gei- half
teg- true
al- inside
eig- non/un
asa- part of
ain- from/of

NOUNS:
beil darkness/dark
freb tree
tuk man
dad woman
grel swamp
vek bird
teb beast/animal (non-bird)
wud fish
mim light
krel water
ren sky
pak fire (notice it's classified as a living thing)
hib earth (again, living thing)
farn blade
sail wheel
aldad child
geivek penguin (I don't know why, I really love that penguin means
"half bird")
ainvek egg
ril steel
tegril sword
eigtuk corpse
tegdad mother
geifarn knife/dagger
ainhib life
atrufarn fork
atrutuk community/society
sed ear
gub demon
wreg tale
verun time

ADJECTIVES: (created by appending the suffix *it* to nouns)
wilit yellow
ienit green
lalit white
krimit black
valit red
geivalit orange
tegwulit blue
wulit purple
mimit gleam/shine
eigmimit dull
rilit strong
dadit caring
aldadit innocent
tegmimit pure
tirnit noble

VERBS:
Verbs are conjugated by person and tense. Tense is created by adding a
suffix to the root. Person by adding a prefix.
Personal Prefixes:
a- he
ai- she
i- it
li- you
uli- you (all)
ura- they
ira- we

Tense Suffixes:
-ri Present
-rug Past Perfect
-tug Past Imperfect
-aw Future
-it Imperative

Root forms of verbs take the ending *agal* which is dropped during
conjugation.
eigtukagal to die
dadagal to give birth/to begin
tegdadagal to care
tegrilagal to fight/to wage war
ainhibagal to live
renagal to fly
valitagal to bleed
wulitagal to rage/to be angry
beilagal to sleep
sedagal to hear
tainagal to kill
hinagal to break/to destroy
faimagal to avenge
brukagal to be

PRONOUNS (some):
ugra how
fav thus
sego this

PREPOSITIONS:
la by
hik for

MISC WORDS (which I added while doing the translation below):
utu all
ug it
agr her
d and

TRANSLATION EXERCISE: (note, I may have messed up the grammar on the end
of the last sentence, but the sentence was so complex (as I tend to
write) I was uncertain of some of it's order--corrections on this welcome)

Sedit! Lisedri ugra Tegmimit Dad agr aldad aifaimrug la Grelgub
aitainrug d Krimit Tegril aihinrug, hik utu verun. Ibrukri tirnit wreg.
Fav idadri!
Listen! Hear how the Pure Mother avenged her child by slaying the Swamp
Demon and broke the Black Sword, for all time. This is a noble tale.
Thus it begins!

Now, I won't say this is the most wonderful language (or fragment of a
language, rather) ever created, however, the exercise was fun to do, and
it did produce some fun results. Some of the words I am not so crazy
about, and I really dislike the name Grelgub (even for a swamp demon),
but the other names are good, at least to me. But the exercise still did
not solve a few concerns which always make me uncertain about what I'm
doing: roots, word/name length and (as I alluded to earlier) the fact
that creating words first can create some abysmal names, however,
creating the language from names can create its own set of difficulties
(either forcing rules to change or hours of work just on one name until
it can be modified to fit the language's rules well and still sound good
to the ear). Word and name length is an especial concern of mine
because. An example of my concerns is: if a root is two syllables, then
add a one syllable prefix to modify it's meaning, and then turn that
noun into a verb with a two syllable conjugated ending, you're talking
about a five syllable word. The same with compound names. A root word of
two syllables becomes three with an adjective--let's go with a prefix in
this case. Add the two syllable noun with it's extra single-syllable
noun ending that the adjective is describing and quickly you've coined a
six syllable name. Names such as that could certainly work in the
languages of Chadhiyana's culture (more Indian-based), however, once
moving to the more European-esque parts of the world, a name like that
is just too long. I feel it's too easy to have long names, and very,
very, very difficult (almost impossible) to have one or two syllable
names (even if using a single noun, as a classifier added to a root must
produce at least two syllables, making one syllable impossible).
Anyone's thoughts on this?

Anyway, again, this was just a private exercise I took on. It's nothing
I'm planning to use, but, considering the nature of the list, I thought
I'd share it. Feel free to comment and offer some constructive
criticism. After all, feedback is perhaps the best way for me to learn a
thing or two. All the best.

--
Sincerely,
J. M. DeSantis