CONLANG  January 2013, Week 3

CONLANG January 2013, Week 3

logical language VS not-so-logical language (was RE: Loglan[g] VS Natlang)

Mathieu Roy <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jan 2013 19:57:32 +0100

tl;dr: Thanks a lot for all your answers. I take to heart this subject. If
you have more examples of how natural languages can be ambiguous or has been
once in your life where it affected you, I would like if you could share
them with me.

For those with the courage to go through what I wrote, your answers will be
greatly appreciated. And in case I forgot it in some place, I want to make
clear that all of this is In My Opinion.

<<And that's all I'll say because we're too close to auxlang advocacy and
that would require switching to the other mailing list to continue the
discussion.>>
Ok then, I'm changing the subject to: what are the advantages of a logical
language VS a not-so-logical language.

<<I'm guessing you meant "loglang", i.e. logical language?>>
Yes.

<<[...] "Good" has too many definition [...] Therefore, I [...] replaced it
with a word of less potential contention: "necessary".>>
Good idea.

<<The only advantage I see is in poetry.>>
I agree.

<<Being human?   :)>>
I was going to ask you to elaborate, but someone else did :)

<<Ray said it best: we are humans. And humans are not by nature logical or
even terribly rational beings (we do try, though!).>>
We also die before 125 years old naturally; is that a reason to not modify
our genes (for example) in order to live longer?  I don't think so. I'm
doing this analogy because I don't see how saying that we are not logical by
"nature" is an argument for not being logical?

<<We tend to see what isn't there and come up with nonsensical explanations
for things. A less than logical language that is good at ambiguity and
natural poesy, but that can at need be aligned on a more logical plan is the
best fit.>>
I agree that sometimes ambiguity is good. I think someone that speaks a
logical language should be able to precisely chose how ambiguous s/he want
her/his sentence to be.

[example] For example, if one love someone (else), but one don't know if
s/he wants a serious relationship with her/him, then it is good to have a
word to precisely show that s/he doesn't know exactly how much s/he loves
her/him; so it is ambiguous in the sense that his/her feelings too are
ambiguous. However, I think it would be good (by "good" I mean it would help
people to clearly express there though if they want to) to have more precise
word in order to differentiate different kind of love (in fact, there are
probably some natural languages that do have more words). It is true that
someone could just explain the kind of love s/he feels toward someone, but I
think it would be better (ie. a lot shorter and simpler) to have other words
for some concepts.

<<It's what our own brains and our own culture have collectively and
unconsciously decided works well enough for human communication.>>
I don't know if the following is true, but my French teacher told me that
monks in the past were paid by letters and therefore were adding letters to
some words. That would explain why a lot of words have for example the
letters "eau" pronounces as "o" (bateau, eau, beau, chateau, etc.) or simply
"au" pronounces as "o" (faux, taux, etc.) or silent letter at the end (faux,
taux, etc.) or double letters that are indistinguishable from one letter
(balle, sale, association, etc.) (I just noticed that "association" uses
three way to make the same sound: "ss", "c", "t"; that's pretty dumb IMO) or
that "ph" is pronounces "f". My point is that this might not have been
totally chosen collectively, and there might even be bad reasons. By "bad" I
mean different things. For example, I gave an example of efficiency and
coherency. I will give another example. The etymology of "woman"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woman#Etymology) which comes from "female
human" whereas "man" comes from only "human", which is kind of sexism since
"we specify" the gender only for woman. The natural languages sometime stays
impregnated with old values. Another example is the word sexism which can
mean "unequality of sexe" and "the use of the body for a finality". So if
for example it would be good for society to attain equality of sexes, but
not necessarily good to stop using the body of men and women for publicity,
then it will be difficult to do because both concepts are represented by the
same word. And you can be both sexist and not sexist at the same time which
is ridiculous IMO. Another example is the short and long scale that some
languages (such as English and French) have
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_and_short_scales) because different
culture chose differently (It's like driving "left" or "right". There's not
one better than the other, but IMO it would be better to all have the same
way. Well, to be faire this is not a good example because of risk
compensation http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Risk_compensation, but you can see
what I mean.). Do you really think there is one advantage to have a language
where trillion can both mean 10^12 and 10^18? I think it is simply illogic,
more difficult to learn, unnecessarily ambiguous, and confusing. Another
example is the "masculine" and "feminine" in French, Spanish and Catalan (to
only name languages I know). It is much much harder to learn than a language
that doesn't assigning a gender to things that don't have one. Even people
that speak such a language as their mother tongue make mistakes. And how
does assigning a gender to things is "more human", "easier to learn for
babies", or even "more poetic"? I cannot think of any advantages of such
aspects of some languages (of all natural languages I know in fact). I can
give more example if someone want. But I would like to see each of these
arguments respond or acknowledge.

<<It may not be perfect, it certainly isn't entirely logical but it works,>>
I don't see how this is an (good) argument. Cooking our food with fire also
"isn't perfect" but "works", but that's not a reason (is it?) to not invent
something better (more efficient;  like a furnace). Why isn't the same with
languages? Natural languages and fire might be more natural, but that's it.

<<and it's so easy baby can learn it,>>
I don't think a logical language would be more difficult to learn (as I
mentioned earlier). In fact, it might be the opposite since it's grammar
rules are more regular and logic. They might have a little bit more words in
order to have only one word by definition, but on the other hand, there
wouldn't be synonyms. Why do you think a not-so-logical language would be
easier to learn?

<<and those are two great advantages over the more experimental loglangs
that require intense study and even the 'experts' can't always get right.>>
It is true that some errors might be done in a logical language that
couldn't be done in a not-so-logical language; for example, if there are two
words for "or" (one inclusive and one exclusive), then someone might make an
error when using this word (mixing the two). But I think that saying
something in a logical language with some errors of this kind might still be
more accurate than a not-so-logical language with no errors (and in the end
I think these errors would become as infrequent as for people speaking
not-so-logical language). And I don't think it would be difficult for a
native speaker of a logical language to make the difference between the two
"or" for example. Are there children that speak a logical language as their
mother tongue (in order to verify the validity of invalidity of my claim)? I
think that if someone would study as much a logical languages as its
not-so-logical mother tongue (which isn't the case with these so call
'experts', right?), then s/he would be just as good.

<<The less flippant answers I can think of is that sometimes ambiguity is
itself a desired feature in language. Ambiguity allows one to deceive
without telling untruths, for example. It helps people save face, because
they aren't forced to reveal their motives or opinions. It allows for clever
wordplay and subtle references (which I suppose goes along with Leonardo's
"poetry" response).>>
As I wrote previously in this email, I agree that "ambiguity" can be desired
if it is done on purpose. And to take (again) the example of having more
than one word for "love", the only disadvantage of a logical language I can
see is that for example if X says to Y: "I [word that means I love you, but
I don't know how much] you" and Y respond "but do you [word that means love
as in wanting to be in a long term relationship with you] me or do you [word
that means love as in liking to hang out with from time to time]?" If X
didn't want to precise the kind of love s/he was feeling and didn't want to
tell that s/he didn't want to precise it (etc), then s/he would indeed have
prefer a not-so-logical language in this case (where it would have been less
likely IMO that Y ask a precision since there are no word). (but not Y). So
I guess that if one is the kind of person that likes to hide (and be hidden
from) such things, then s/he might prefer a not-so-logical language. So I
can now understand why some people might prefer to speak a not-so-logical
language. (love was just an example)

<< There's not really any part of natural language that *forces* us to lie
(or even be ambiguous), is there? >>
Well, not "forces" us, but IMO sometimes "strongly encourages" us as I've
shown in previous examples.

<<If so, no. No one really has any need for such a thing. Daily existence
and daily needs are rarely so wanting of logical expression or precision
that a loglang would foist upon it.>>
I disagree. I think it would be helpful for communication to have less
ambiguity. In addition to previous examples, I will add that having two
times 12 hours in a day sometimes leads to misunderstanding and someone can
end up somewhere at the wrong time. While it is true that we can precise if
we mean in the afternoon or morning, etc., we can forget. But in a 24 hours
base system (which some natural languages do use) one cannot forget to
precise it. (and personally, I think 24 hours is still not ideal; something
like 10 would be more useful IMO:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_time).

<<On the contrary, the very precision and rigorous order so imposed by a
highly logical language would, in my opinion,.>> I don't think a logical
language necessarily needs a rigorous order, and I think it can be both
precised and "precisely imprecise" (depending on what the speaker want to
communicate).

<<only serve to dehumanise or denaturlise the balanced chaos of ordinary
life>> What do you mean? How does it dehumanise? Why don't you want it to be
denaturalised?

<<In any event, natural languages (and of course my primary experience here
is English) are entirely capable of any reasonable amount of logic,
precision and order needed by anyone for any purpose. We in general are just
too lazy to engage in such logical speech in a consistent manner.>>
I agree. It is sometimes too difficult to say something in a logical way in
a natural language, so that most human, being lazy, don't do it.

<< If the costs of switching languages were zero, and the only difference
between natlangs and loglangs were the regularity of the grammar and the
polysemy of the words in the lexicon, then there might be very little
advantage in sticking with messy, irregular natlangs.  Some other posters on
the thread have mentioned poetry; it's possible to write poetry (and do
other forms of wordplay) in an unnaturally regular and monosemous conlang
(the many volumes of poetry published in Esperanto[*] are proof of that),
but I'll concede for the sake of argument that it's somehwat more difficult
than in the the typical natlang. >>
I agree.

<< But the costs of switching languages, or even adding an additional
language to the existing mix, are pretty high; and most loglangs (or
engelangs more generally) differ from natlangs in many other ways than
regularity and monosemy.  Many of them, including the best known examples
Loglan and Lojban, aim at perfect syntactic unambiguity, and have other
features which render them much more difficult to learn than most other
languages, if not entirely unlearnable. >> I agree that it is difficult. But
I think it is useful (and fun), so I encourage everybody that has the time
to do it. But I'm not saying we should teach a logical language in high
school right now. I think there's still a lot to do/research before reaching
this step. And if it turns out that Loglan and Lojban really are too
difficult for the average human, than it wouldn't be a good idea to teach
these languages to kids, but this doesn't apply to all logical languages.

<< [*] -- Esperanto isn't a loglang or engelang in the strict sense, nor is
it perfectly unambiguous, but I'd say it's less ambiguous than the natlangs
I'm most familiar with in both syntax and lexicon.  Wordplay in Esperanto
works in at least two ways: using words that sound similar to other words
(this method is also available in most engelangs, I reckon), and words which
are phonologically identical to other words but have a different parse (this
is unavailable in engelangs with self-segregating morphology, which I think
is most of them).>>
Interesting!

<<BTW, I think that I have already heard someone saying that there is an
advantage of irregular verbal forms as they become more audibly
distinguishable from each other.>>
If it is/was true, then a logical language would need different "suffix" at
the end of verbs in function of pronouns. But these suffixes should be the
same for all verbs (except if you find a *logical* reason for not doing it).

<<The flippant answer is that it's a whole lot more interesting.>>
In the end everybody is (or at least should be IMO) free to speak the
language they want (except maybe in court?). So if you think that a logical
language is "better", then learn one, otherwise don't. But I am happy to see
that there are other people that want to learn (and even are learning) a
logical language; so that there will be other people I will be able to speak
with and have more meaningful conversations and stop feeling like a human
that can only speak a dog language (that's an hyperbole).

*I just read the last email on the tread, so I will add my respond to them
below*

Hallo conlangers!

On Friday 18 January 2013 13:29:32 R A Brown wrote:

> On 18/01/2013 11:27, Mathieu Roy wrote:
> > What are the advantages of speaking a less logical language (a
> > language with grammar rules with a lot of exceptions, a lot of words
> > with ambiguity, etc.)?
>
> Being human?   :)

<<Yes.  Which, of course, includes being capable of using metaphor and word
play, which are off limits in a true logical language.>>
I disagree with the metaphor part. A logical language could have a word that
means "like" and implies that we are about to make a metaphor (except if you
define that a "true logical language" can't, then I wasn't talking about a
"true logical language"). But for the word play, I kind of agree, and
personally I would prefer that (what's the advantage of word play? Why do
you like it?), but there's still the way Esperanto does it as someone else
said.

<<Life is not an application of formal logic>>
Right. You can still say "I want to bang that chix" (which sounds irrational
for me) in a logical language, it's just that it won't be ambiguous and will
not have stupid grammar rules.

<<and I have been feeling for a very long time that human language and
formal logic serve *different* purposes.  Language is not about
mathematically proving or disproving assertions; it is about sharing ideas
and emotions.>>
I agree. By logical languages I didn't mean to remove words that represent
emotions for example. In fact it's quite the opposite, I'd like to add some
(see my argument about "love"). I think a logical language would help us
share our ideas and emotions more accurately. By a logical languages I don't
mean mathematic or something like that.

<<It does not surprise me at all that the Transhumanist movement is into
Lojban.  It just fits those super-rationalist nerds' pipe dream of
superiority over irrational "mere humans"!>>
It also fits many other purpose. Don't judge a tool by a minority of its
user.

<<Yep.  The loglangs I have seen look very bland and technical; natlangs and
naturalistic artlangs are far richer than those.
Speaking a loglang is live living in an apartment without wallpaper, lit by
naked light bulbs, and with furniture made of unpolished and unpainted
pieces of wood coarsely nailed together.  It works, but there is no *fun* to
it. >>
I'm not saying we should remove the paint and the wallpaper, I'm just saying
we should repair the plumbing and the holes in the wall.

<<Of course, one can come up with an untruthful sentence in a loglang; but
as there is no metaphor, such an untruthfulness is more easily revealed than
in a natlang.>>
I agree that a not-so-logical language is very often better to people that
like to lie and be lied.

FINAL THOUGH: If there were no natural languages, how would you create one
and why? Do you think it would look like our natural languages and why?