CONLANG  February 2013, Week 2

CONLANG February 2013, Week 2

Re: Field vs armchair linguistics (was:OT YAEPT -omp, -onk_

Dirk Elzinga <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 13 Feb 2013 09:59:54 -0700

I agree with what Roger said about field work; there's nothing like it. Of
course, I don't travel to primitive and exotic locales to do field work
(unless you consider small towns in the Great Basin and Southeastern Utah
to be either, or both). But the feeling of cultural dislocation is very
strong on Indian reservations. That coupled with a traditional mistrust
(and even active dislike) of white people makes for some tense moments when
being introduced into a community. [1]

It is true that, of the conlangers that I've met, most have been interested
in field work. I wonder, though, if it isn't really Field Work they're
interested in so much as finding out new and unusual things about language.
Since the bulk of the theoretical work in linguistics that I've seen is
confined to well known and well documented languages, it may be that
conlangers, in their search for the weird and exotic, are naturally drawn
to reference grammars and other products of field work.

Dirk

[1] I attended a meeting of the cultural preservation committee for a tribe
in which one of the senior members took my presence as an opportunity to
berate me, as a representative of White People Everywhere, for the losses
and depredations suffered by his people. Most of the other committee
members were embarrassed--most, but not all. I ended up not getting a whole
lot done there, but I did score some pity points and made a couple of good
friends in the community.