AUXLANG March 2013, Week 3

Re: Support Angos on Kickstarter

Ben <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 20 Mar 2013 02:32:03 -0400

On Tue, 19 Mar 2013 22:09:05 -0600, Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Not at all. The people who know the relevant languages gain an
>advantage, but the people who don't aren't particularly hurt, at least
>as compared to the standard worldlang. If you give a number of groups
>some words from their own language, the number of words per language
>will tend to be small, so that the people derive no real learning
>advantage. They have perhaps 5-10% of the basic lexicon, leaving them
>with 90-95% unfamiliar. But in a westlang we simply note that most of
>the people who are likely to be interested in an auxlang know a
>Western language, and we design accordingly, so the average learner
>has more like 80-90% familiar roots.
>
>And this is inevitable: if you try to raise the percentages of
>familiar material, you about have to exclude some previously included
>group to pay for the increase. You can get around this in part using
>overlapping or just plain widespread forms, but they aren't very
>common, especially for core vocabulary.

And the way I've tried to balance this is by using a simpler grammar. I think a westlang could succeed globally if the grammar was minimal. Look at the derivations of words and merge like concepts, etc. The only problem then is getting those who want a greater range in expression for poetry and the like.

>>>If they recognize the roots, they'll probably already have some idea
>>>of the relevant paradigms.
>>
>> "Probably" again. No one has tested this. You can't be sure whether they'll
>> instinctively learn the paradigms, or whether they'll think the westlang is
>> any easier or more difficult than a worldlang.
>
>I get the idea we're talking about different things again. Let's
>restore some context:
>
>>>It doesn't matter that "wo" is easier for the Chinese; it matters that
>>>it is harder for the majority of potential users than something like
>>>"me."
>>
>> It's going to be just as difficult for a westlang. People may recognize the
>> roots, but they're still going to need to learn the
>> phonological/morphological paradigms.
>
>Now, then: what are "phonological/morphological paradigms"? It's the
>"paradigm" part that's odd; there's certainly no phonological (speech
>sound) problem with "me," and I don't see a morphological (morphemic
>structure) problem either--if we are indeed speaking of roots. Now,
>there may be  semantic problems in derivation--probably not so much
>for "me"/"wo," but certainly for something like "-yard" ("brickyard,"
>"vineyard"). Still, that can be handled by some general rules and the
>details be left to context.

Phonological aspects such as length- how long does one hold a vowel, do two like consonants/vowels at word boundaries represent a longer sound? Or stress- are there two stress points in a compound word, are one-syllable words stressed, what is the intensity of the stress?

Morphological aspects would be having a standardized verb to noun paradigm, noun to adjective, etc.

The semantics/pragmatics was the funnest (most fun?) part of creating Angos- seeing how many meanings you can get from one word in different contexts (see below).

>Minor digression: I find some of the derivations in -os a bit too strict. Thus,
>
>nesumos = man-made mouse = computer mouse
>vaos = man-made tree = tree diagram
>
>Why can't "nesumos" be (in context) a toy mouse as well? Why can't
>"vaos" be an artificial Christmas tree or a candelabra? Here and
>elsewhere, the derivational system seems to need clarification.

They can- that's why I state several times that the meanings vary depending on context (and in the final manuscript I have several examples with these roots)
'Wo me maya de nesumos mate mao' - I bought an artificial mouse for the cat
'Wo me maya de nesumos mate no-mekos' - I bought an artifical mouse for the computer

>>>On the other hand, Esperanto has had a significant presence
>>>in the sci-fi community for years, yet learning it isn't an
>>>achievement on a par with learning Klingon or Na'vi because it's too
>>>easy.
>>
>> I think it's because Esperanto isn't exclusive to those fandoms. There's an
>> underlying social implication (finvenkismo) involved with the language.
>
>Ever hear of RaĆ­mismo? Even people who don't go that far usually
>aren't strongly into finvenkismo. The existence of an external
>community with its own goals may be relevant, but it would count
>against any auxlang.

But it's the more extreme views that tend to dominate media coverage.

>> Whereas Klingon and Na'vi speakers are not political activists, Esperanto
>> speakers have for more than a century been associated with various ill-fated
>> movements.
>
>And hardly anyone outside the auxlang community knows this. The sci-fi
>crowd doesn't. No, if you listen to how knowledge of a relevant
>artlang is used, it's in terms of proving one's credentials: "I'm a
>real fan because I learned the language." And that only makes sense if
>it's something considered difficult. Some years ago I suggested that
>Lingua Franca Nova could fit into the TV series _Lost_. I no longer
>feel so confident (even if that series hadn't imploded): LFN is too
>simple; it would not provide sufficient challenge.

I think if they learned the language to a communicable degree, they would have eventually gotten around to learning its history. I say this, yet few people on Lernu have actually read Unua Libro...

>If you compare sci-fi/fantasy artlangs, they tend to have odd
>phonologies, writing systems, and grammars. They are meant to seem
>strange. (The Tolkienian languages, which weren't designed to seem
>alien but oddly familiar, are based on IE or Finnish. But they are
>anomalous in this area.) They are harder than westlangs in general,
>yet are more accessible than more recent artlangs. About the only
>modern auxlang that would work here would be Sambahsa. That would give
>them something to think about.

I think an simplified language could succeed ('success' in the sense that many people would be aware of it) if it was made solely for a fandom instead of marketed as a real-world auxiliary.

>>>Really? A-1 is described thus:
>>>
>>>Can understand and use familiar everyday expressions and very basic
>>>phrases aimed at the satisfaction of needs of a concrete type.
>>>Can introduce him/herself and others and can ask and answer questions
>>>about personal details such as where he/she lives, people he/she knows
>>>and things he/she has.
>>>
>>>Given that auxlangs usually have a small inventory of roots, that's a
>>>very good start. And A-2 gives us this:
>>>
>>>Can understand sentences and frequently used expressions related to
>>>areas of most immediate relevance (e.g. very basic personal and family
>>>information, shopping, local geography, employment).
>>>
>>>That should get you through a fair part of the Esperanto 900-word Kontakto
>>> list.
>
>I should have been clearer here: through the *concepts* of the
>Kontakto list. I certainly don't consider Esperanto "at sight." With
>that in mind, let's look at the concepts below and see how many of
>them are probably A-level:
>
>> Unless you speak English:
>> speak/talk - paroli
>> am, are, is - esti
>> eat - mangxi
>> do - fari
>> walk - marsxi
>> buy - acxeti
>> work - labori
>> play - ludi
>
>I'd say they all are.

But even 'with' supposed at-sight languages whose stock is overwhelmingly Latin (ref. Interlingua Swadesh list), the A-level vocab would still be unrecognizable for those who speak English.

Concepts like these are still fairly difficult to grasp completely, i.e., each word has its nuances. That's why I chose a noun base for Angos roots. A 'dog' is a 'dog' universally. But 'see' can overlap with 'watch', 'observe', 'stare', etc. EO 'fari' has no equivalent in English, so it's hard for those speakers to know when to use it (from my experiences in Spanish/French classes, where "hacer/faire" is taught as "do or make").

>Since you're so keen on tests, I'd like to see you prove this. As
>Kjell mentioned, there are texts for learning Interlingua that are
>completely monolingual, and this could be done for other at-sight
>auxlangs as well. There's a similar text for LFN, for example. The
>grammar doesn't seem so daunting handled this way.

I have neither the time nor the resources at the moment, but in the future this would prove to be a very interesting experiment. Take a group of people (of different native languages across different language families) and pair them with an auxiliary, and see which parts they found easy/difficult, and/or if they could use the language to a communicable degree at the end of the trial.

>>>Which explains why Esperanto has so many thousands of users. I see.
>>
>> But at what level? "Eternal beginners" are ubiquitous because of the 'fine
>> points' of EO grammar.
>
>No.
>
>1. If EKs are "ubiquitous," they should overrun this list. But how
>many are there here? There are people who haven't used Esperanto
>regularly in some time, and they make mistakes; there are some who for
>whatever reason dislike it and/or its users and are therefore
>motivated to find it difficult and make mistakes in it; but in general
>there are more competent users than not.

People don't gallivant around telling others how unsuccessful they are at a supposed easy language. I myself have only heard of EKs through Lernu users who have difficulty finding people to talk to at conferences- the majority of attendants apparently can't get past the A-level.

>2. I have argued before that EKs are standard for *all* languages,
>natlangs as well as auxlangs, and the reason we don't see them so much
>in auxlangs other than Esperanto is simply that there are so many
>Esperantists that the minority of EKs is actually large enough to
>notice. But I have seen them in other auxlangs. If Angos does succeed
>at all, you will find them there as well.

I agree, I have no doubt that they exist for all languages. But one can minimize them by recognizing why people can't get past a certain level, and adapting the language accordingly.

>To begin with, the defining characteristic of worldlangs is the
>lexicon. This is nonsense, of course: in terms of comparative
>linguistics, vocabulary is at best helpful, not typically dispositive,
>because it's the single most mutable feature of language. Indeed, as
>I've noted before, a westlang will eventually drift away from the West
>by borrowing non-western vocabulary, while a worldlang will eventually
>drift westward as users borrow western vocabulary. So beyond a limited
>point, it's a waste of time.
>
>I proposed a thought experiment a time or so: relex an Interlingua
>text with morphemes from Chinese, and a Chinese text with Interlingua
>morphemes. Will the results still be westlangs? I would say that
>fundamentally the first one is, but the second one isn't, though
>westlangs aren't as westy as some people suppose.
>
>But if vocabulary doesn't matter to classification, why is it the
>litmus test of worldlang purity?
>
>Now, you have referred to grammatical issues, which does make more
>sense, but if you're going to do that, why not drop the lexical test
>entirely and just combine a western vocabulary with a neutral,
>a-priori grammar? Of course it has been done before, but worldlangers
>typically reject it out of hand. Why not acknowledge a-priori grammar
>as mostly sufficient to be classified as a worldlang?

It's usually seen as elitist, even though it may be more practical. Worldlangers generally want the language to be representative of the people who would theoretically speak it- diverse.

-Ben