AUXLANG March 2013, Week 3

Re: Support Angos on Kickstarter

Ben <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 Mar 2013 16:20:06 -0400

On Sat, 16 Mar 2013 12:31:30 -0600, Stephen Rice <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> A Korean and a Spaniard will have tremendous difficulty using this language.
>
>They would have trouble using any shared language: Korean and Spanish
>are so different that the L1 interference would cause problems in any
>case. But (if the people are randomly selected) the Korean is more
>likely to know a Western language (probably English) than the Spaniard
>is to know Korean. So a "westlang" is a more practical compromise.
>
>> A German and a Spaniard will have little difficulty using this language. But
>> the German and the Spaniard won't 'need' to use this language, because the
>> chances of them already knowing each other's native language is higher than
>> a Korean already knowing Spanish or vice versa.
>
>"Higher," yes. Still not good odds.

But you have to play the system when promoting/building an auxlang. You can't assume everything is so utopic that people will drop whatever thoughts they had about learning languages and conform to a new IAL.

Take a snapshot of this moment: People in Europe are likely to know each other's languages already, or know someone else who does, so creating an auxlang from Latin, Germanic, and Slavic grammar would be an inefficient use of resources. On the other hand, someone in China is not likely to know Spanish, Arabic, or Hungarian, so creating a language (like Angos) that has all of the structures of these languages in mind is relatively more economical.

>Not at all: it would give them a shared language that they could
>swiftly learn to fluency, which is better than they could do with any
>European language--or with Angos, for that matter, which would
>probably take longer to learn to fluency.

Maybe Angos is easier to learn than a eurolang? Unfortunately such testing has not been done yet.

>Yet there are problematic features: mandatory tense and plural
>marking

Or even a copula or articles. A fair amount of things I could list, really.

>> This is true of any IAL, that despite its claim of easiness, it requires
>> actual effort to learn. That's why I've geared Angos more towards hobbyists
>> and laymen as a small community rather than THE IAL OF THE CENTURY.
>
>I admit I don't quite follow your reasoning here. Hobbyists and laymen
>are at opposite poles: hobbyists typically have specialized knowledge
>of their hobby that laymen lack, as well as a degree of enthusiasm
>that ordinary people don't have. So an auxlang hobbyist will be more
>likely to learn an auxlang than an ordinary person would, meaning
>you're more likely to attract hobbyists than laymen.

I'm not pushing Angos to become 'the next big thing'. I'm pushing it to be a community of diverse people (hence both hobbyists and laymen) who want to be part of something unique.

>Further, your reply ignores the point that familiar is easier than
>unfamiliar, and if you seek refuge in the fairness argument (to be
>fair to those outside of the Indo-European community, we must import a
>lot of non-IE forms), you still run into trouble,

You're implying that Angos has 'added' unfamiliarity to make it more "fair", when in fact it has only taken away superfluous Western forms that trip up non-native speakers. Familiar may be easy, but simplicity is easier.

>because your
>inevitable initial demographic will be people who know a Western
>language--again usually English--and you are disproportionately
>disadvantaging them for no good reason. That will tend to drive them
>off--except for the hardcore hobbyists, anyway.

You think I'm 'choosing' English? I have no choice. Until I can get a translator (which I can do via funds from Kickstarter), I'm stuck with my only C2 language for disseminating the information. Ce to eska, wo bisaa dala osove ang-viombos tongwe angos? Nove omo sayu ke bisaa ba.

>This is why your initial demographic is necessarily at odds with your
>approach. Consider your book idea. Presumably the non-Angos bits are
>in English, which is fine. But it means your hypothetical audience is
>made up of English-speakers who are literate and have the resources to
>obtain the book--not a huge group to begin with, relative to the
>global population. And if you factor in willingness to learn Angos (or
>indeed any auxlang), the number plummets. So you're dealing with an
>elite of sorts, and your Web presence does too. In fact, any early
>adopters you may have will be a small, unrepresentative group, and
>that will continue to be true through the first several generations of
>users. You probably won't have any monolingual Koreans supporting you.

The physical book is just to establish credibility. Promotion happens online in the public domain, and the book itself will be available for free to download. It wouldn't make sense for me to appeal only to the elite. I'm trying to be as open as I can with what few resources I have. I can't go town to town or mail leaflets evangelizing Angos. Yes, the community will be small, and it will likely stay small for a long time. But it will still exist.

>So why design for them?

Because no on else does.