BALISAGE 2013 STUDENT SUPPORT AWARDS
Students! An inexpensive way to attend a most excellent technical conference!
Balisage is the premier international conference on markup languages, technologies, theories, and practice. It is held annually during late summer in Montréal, QC. (But don't take our word for it, try Googling it: http://www.google.com/search?q=markup%20conference.)
Support for attending Balisage 2013 will be available for some full-time students in the field of markup technologies and related disciplines including Computer Science, Library and Information Science, and Digital Humanities.
Thanks to our sponsors, award winners will receive substantial support:
* Reimbursement for travel to and from Montréal
* Accommodations at the Hotel Europa, the conference venue, for the duration
* Full conference registration, including breakfast and lunch
To be eligible, you must be currently enrolled full time in an academic degree program, as documented in your CV. And you must have a demonstrable interest in and commitment to our field.
In order to qualify, please submit an application that includes the following:
* Application Letter. Tell us, in a page or two, why you want to come to Balisage, and how attending Balisage will help you. Describe your academic research program, professional interest in the field, perspective on important issues (addressed and not adequately addressed by the community and in the industry), or anything else you feel will recommend you and your work to the conference committee and Balisage community at large.
* Academic CV, listing any of the following: relevant course work, research projects (with links where applicable), published papers, conferences attended, professional employment and activity, blogging, etc.
* Letter(s) of recommendation (at least one) by professionals (academic or not) who know your work and can speak to your engagement with markup technologies.
* Permission to publicize, at the conference and in connection with it, your name and participation, in announcements and related materials such as the program. Part of the reason for Balisage is to develop professional contacts among the attendees. You want to know us, and we want to know you.
* Optional: a paper submission for the conference. (See the Call for Participation at http://www.balisage.net/Call4Participation.html.) Papers submitted in connection with an application for student support will not guarantee you win support, nor will papers submitted by applicants necessarily be accepted for the program. But a paper submission, even if not accepted for the program, will strengthen your application.
Application materials will be accepted in plain text, HTML, or PDF and are due on April 19, 2013 (the same day Balisage paper submissions are due). Please send applications to [log in to unmask], with the subject line "Student award application". Be sure you include contact information.
Awards will be offered at the discretion of the conference committee.
Find out more about the Balisage series of conferences at http://www.balisage.net. Then come to Montréal to experience the cutting edge of this fascinating field at the crossroads of technology, textual studies, database theory, and philosophy.
"There is nothing so practical as a good theory"
B. Tommie Usdin mailto:[log in to unmask]
Mulberry Technologies, Inc. http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street Phone: 301/315-9631
Suite 207 Direct Line: 301/315-9634
Rockville, MD 20850 Fax: 301/315-8285
Mulberry Technologies: A Consultancy Specializing in SGML and XML