Help for TEI-L Archives

TEI-L Archives

TEI-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

TEI-L Home

TEI-L  April 2013

TEI-L April 2013

Re: [Critical Edition Cheatsheet] How should we encode biblical references?

Wilhelm Ott <[log in to unmask]>

Wilhelm Ott <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:44:27 +0200

Dear Marjorie,

as Daniel STOEKL BEN EZRA <[log in to unmask]>wrote,

> It is even more complicated than that (as I don't have to tell you...)
>
> 1.      There are different Bible versions (Greek LXX, Latin Vulgate
> or Vetus Latina)
>
> 2.      There are different historical editions of the same Bible

Beyond the sources of reference which Daniel recommends
(Nestle-Aland, Sources chrétiennes, openbible, OSIS),
I want to draw your attention to a further one, documented
in the attached file.

It shows the abbreviations used in the concordance to the
Vulgate which Bonifatius Fischer had started to prepare
in 1967 on the basis of a new critical edition (of which,
while preparing the concordance, a second edition had
been published):

   Biblia sacra iuxta vulgatam versionem adiuvantibus
   Bonifatio Fischer OSB, Iohanne Gribomont OSB, H.F.D. Sparks,
   W. Thiele recensuit et brevi apparatu instruxit Robertus
   Weber OSB. Editio altera emendata, tom. I-II.
   Stuttgart: Württembergische Bibelanstalt 1975

The printed concordance (lemmatized with the help of
Roberto Busa's "Lexicon Electronicum Latinum" and
prepared and typeset by computer programs which
later led to TUSTEP), based on this text:

   Novae Concordantiae Bibliorum Sacrorum
   Iuxta Vulgatam Versionem Critice Editam
   quas digessit Bonifatius Fischer OSB. Tomus I-V.
   Stuttgart: Frommann-Holzboog 1977

The attached file shows 80 lines, one for each book
of the Vulgate. Each line starts with the abbreviation
for the book name, followed, after blanks and a colon,
by a number indicating the order used for sorting
them, and - for short books which have no chapter numbers -
followed by ".1" after the respective number.

Example:

Gn     :1
Ex     :2
SirP   :27.1
Sir    :28
Ps 151 :79
Laod   :80.1

I hope this helps.

Best from Tübingen
Wilhelm
Prof. Dr. Wilhelm Ott               phone: +49-7071-987656
Universitaet Tuebingen              fax:   +49-7071-987622
c/o Zentrum fuer Datenverarbeitung  e-mail: [log in to unmask]
Waechterstrasse 76
D-72074 Tuebingen

On Wed, 10 Apr 2013, Marjorie Burghart wrote:

> Date: Wed, 10 Apr 2013 18:08:47 +0200
> From: Marjorie Burghart <[log in to unmask]>
> To: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: [Critical Edition Cheatsheet] How should we encode biblical
>     references?
>
> Thanks Daniel for the clarification!
> I should add also that, to make matters worse, the list of abbreviations
> used for the books of the bibles will vary according to the language,
> community,etc.
> By Jove, we *do* need those good practice guide ;)
> Cheers,Marjorie
>

> On 10 April 2013 17:40, Daniel STOEKL BEN EZRA
> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
> >  Dear Marjorie ****
> >
> > It is even more complicated than that (as I don't have to tell you...)****
> >
> > **1.      **There are different Bible versions (Greek LXX, Latin Vulgate
> > or Vetus Latina)****
> >
> > **2.      **There are different historical editions of the same Bible
> > version (like a modern critical Vulgate or the Clementine Vulgate or
> > manuscript X). Even two critical editions of the same Bible version might
> > not follow the same versification (like Swete and Rahlfs for the LXX). ***
> > *
> >
> > So the interpretation needs also the type of bible used as well as the
> > edition used.****
> >
> > I would certainly recommend being in contact with the Nestle-Aland project
> > in Münster, the Biblindex project at Sources Chrétiennes and with the
> > people from the openbible project. There is also the OSIS system as point
> > of reference.****
> >
> > ** **
> >
> > Daniel****
> >
> > ** **

Gn :1 Ex :2 Lv :3 Nm :4 Dt :5 Jos :6 Jdc :7 Rt :8 1Sm :9 2Sm :10 3Rg :11 4Rg :12 1Par :13 2Par :14 1Esr :15 2Esr :16 Tb :17 Jdt :18 Est :19 Jb :20 PsG :21 PsH :22 Prv :23 Ecl :24 Ct :25 Sap :26 SirP :27.1 Sir :28 Is :29 Jr :30 Lam :31 Bar :32 Ez :33 Dn :34 Os :35 Jl :36 Am :37 Abd :38.1 Jon :39 Mi :40 Na :41 Hab :42 So :43 Agg :44 Za :45 Mal :46 1Mcc :47 2Mcc :48 Mt :49 Mc :50 Lc :51 Jo :52 Act :53 Rm :54 1Cor :55 2Cor :56 Gal :57 Eph :58 Phil :59 Col :60 1Th :61 2Th :62 1Tm :63 2Tm :64 Tt :65 Phlm :66.1 Hbr :67 Jac :68 1Pt :69 2Pt :70 1Jo :71 2Jo :72.1 3Jo :73.1 Jud :74.1 Apc :75 OrMan :76.1 3Esr :77 4Esr :78 Ps 151 :79 Laod :80.1