CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Edeinal: Language of the Edeinos

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 2013 16:02:11 -0700

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:18:10PM -0600, Logan Kearsley wrote:
> On 12 April 2013 13:04, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > On Thu, Apr 11, 2013 at 10:58:14PM -0600, Logan Kearsley wrote:
> >> On 11 April 2013 20:00, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> [...]
> >>
> >> I wonder, have you ever come across the webcomic Unicorn Jelly (and
> >> sequels)?
[...]
> > Hmm. I skimmed quickly over some pages of it, and I note that it
> > comes nowhere near the level of ... alienness ... of Ferochromon,
> > the Ebisédian homeworld. ;-) For one thing, it's still largely based
> > on things familiar to our universe, perhaps with a modification or
> > three.
>
> There is a bit of a selection effect in the story universe- weirder
> cosmi are implied to exist, but the characters only visit places where
> it's possible for them to exist!

This is an interesting point. I guess it depends on how you view
existence. As far as Ferochromon goes, the Ebisédi themselves are
essentially human manifestations in the Ferochromon. According to my
retconned pulled-out-of-thin-air-one-day rationalization, the human body
on Earth is a consequence or "manifestation" of the "human essence" in
order to conform to the laws of this universe. Travelling to the
Ferochromon, therefore, involves acquiring a somewhat different body
that "interfaces better" with the way the Ferochromon works, so the
bodies of the Ebisédi are different from ours in some fundamental ways,
but the same underlying human essence continues to exist more-or-less
unchanged (so they continue being humanoid in shape, etc.).

> While it is clearly wildly different in many other ways, lots of your
> descriptions of the Ferochromon remind me of various aspects of the
> Unicorn Jelly cosmi. I wonder if that says something about general
> psychological tendencies when humans try to make up worlds.  The
> Ebisedi with their proclivity for describing everything in threes
> would probably feel quite at home in Tryslmaistan (the primary cosmos
> of Unicorn Jelly) as physics there genuinely does favor triplets of
> everything (three electric-equivalent charges, space segmented in a
> triangular-faceted latticework, etc.).

Heh. I guess it's a much more realistic take on my childhood question of
"what if there were 3 electric charges", than the way the Ferochromon
turned out to be. :-P

> > Photons don't exist here; light is an inherent property of matter.
> > Sight, while still (more or less) based on perspective projection,
> > is definitely *not* what we understand as sight in the Terran
> > universe.
>
> That's... odd. Do you have an explanation for how light/sight does
> work in the Ferochromon?

Well, the thing about the Ferochromon is that it is not necessarily
describable by mathematical equations and such, the way our universe can
be described. It's certainly not just a physical theory with some
parameters twiddled, as you describe below. It's an entirely,
fundamentally *different* world that doesn't even operate according to
how we understand a physical universe should work. It *is* internally
self-consistent, but that says nothing about whether there is any
correspondence to the way physics in our world works, except perhaps
some superficial resemblances.

So there are some fundamental things about the Ferochromon that
"violate" the way *our* universe works. And one such thing is sight by
instantaneous perception. :) As for light... it's arguably if light even
exists in the Ferochromon. All matter has intrinsic brightness
(dependent on a number of parameters like energy state, etc.), which is
directly perceived by the sight organs. So there is no need for such a
thing as light as a carrier of visual information! (Indeed, various
notes I have on the Ferochromon describe it as a "very bright" and "very
colorful" place -- probably because light and shade aren't part of the
equation.)

[...]
> My alternate-universe building tends to be in the vein of a) keeping
> to things that could actually be explained by real physical theories,
> just with the parameters twiddled and b) making Space Fantasy sort of
> stuff actually possible. E.g., "what would physics have to look like
> to get planets that really are flat, so you can sail a ship off the
> edge?"

I guess we started from very different footings. When I started working
on the Ferochromon decades ago, I started from an entirely different
premise. I didn't even consider whether suitable modifications of
real-world physics would yield what I wanted; instead, I started by
asking, what would a self-consistent system that could operate as a
functioning universe look like, if it would ultimately give me
phenomenon X, Y, Z? I didn't constrain myself with considerations such
as "it must be mathematically analysable" or "it should be similar to
the real world" or "it has forces analogous to the real world".

I *did* require it to be self-consistent, so cop-outs like "X, Y, and Z
happen because it's magic and magic can do anything" are ruled out.
Cheesy clichés like elves and dragons are also excluded. And it must
exhibit the phenomena I wanted to include (I was trying to retrofit some
childhood story fragments into a larger cohesive whole).  Other than
that, though, the Ferochromon was allowed to develop in fundamentally
different ways from our universe.

> My favorite attempt so far was a universe where gravitons have
> mass, so gravity obeys a Yukawa potential, which means planets are
> held together by surface tension, and can take on a wide variety of
> odd shapes (including flat discs). Never managed to figure out how to
> tweak things to ensure that stars still worked, though (or *some* kind
> of natural energy source, anyway; I'm not quite willing to evoke
> magical entropy-reducing structures built into the cosmos yet!) I'm
> not sure if this is a symptom or a cause of the fact that every time I
> try to write fantasy, it accidentally ends up being hard science
> fiction by the end.

I guess you're operating within the confines of a universe/cosm that is
essentially the real world + some modifications. With the Ferochromon, I
relaxed the requirement to "things must have a consistent explanation"
but no constraint on whether that explanation even remotely looks like
how the real world works. I don't even know if there's such a thing as
entropy in the Ferochromon! To each his own, I suppose.

> > Well, that's quite enough hijacking of this thread. :-P  This is all
> > just barely scratching the surface of the Ferochromon, of course,
> > but further details belong in elsewhere. :) Suffice it to say that
> > the Ferochromon is very, *very* alien, much more so than most
> > fantasy alien worlds.
>
> I believe it! Thinking up truly weird universes is fun, but it's just
> hard to come up with ways to tell stories in them.

For me, the obstacle is probably more to do with my poor story-telling
skills than any inherent difficulty with the Ferochromon itself. That it
is possible to write stories about it is almost a given by its very
construction: I was trying to rationalize many story fragments I've
created in my childhood so that they could all happen within the same
universe/cosm.

Since childhood, I've always hated cop-out explanations like "it's
magic, so it just happens", which I regarded as an euphemism for "we
don't know how to make the plot work, so we'll just throw in this
arbitrary random inconsistent event that just ``happens'' to be exactly
what the plot needs to unfold the way we want it to". I have no qualms
about including magic or other "non-scientific" things in a fictional
universe (that's why it's *fiction*!), but it has to be internally
self-consistent, and rationalizable in terms of established rules of how
things work, not some random pull-it-out-of-a-hat thing.

Put another way, if one *could* pull rabbits out of hats, then the
explanation "'cos hats can just magically produce rabbits on demand" is
not acceptable. An acceptable explanation might be "because something in
the hat is linked to a parallel space where a bunch of rabbits have been
put there by the hat maker". But once this explanation is accepted, its
consequences would have to be as well: it implies the existence of a
parallel space, so then one must consider the possibility of other
things existing in this space. It also implies the hatmaker can access
this space, which then opens up the question of whether others can, too,
and why, or why not. And why would the rabbits stay put in that space
instead of running off and doing something else? It also opens up the
question of whether/why such links only exist in hats, and what about
other kinds of objects? All of these must be acceptably rationalizable,
and they must integrate with the rest of the cosm as a cohesive whole.
This includes deeper questions like where the posited parallel space
came from, how it came to be, and what it implies about the structure of
the cosm.

In the case of the Ferochromon (and no, pulling rabbits out of hats is
*not* an accepted phenomenon there :-P), I eventually worked out enough
details to be able to extrapolate backwards to an analogue of the Big
Bang, and how that eventually produced the large-scale structure of the
Ferochromon in its present state, which you can read about here:

	http://conlang.eusebeia.dyndns.org/ferochromon/cosmohist.html

Be forewarned, though, that terms like "energy" or "matter" are used in
an analogical sense, and have no real relation to the definitions of
these words in real-world physics.

> Every once in a while I think of doing a story involving inter-cosmic
> travel, but I have never yet been able to get my hard-science-oriented
> brain past the problem of how to transport characters across a domain
> wall separating regions of space with different laws (or how to allow
> them to do interesting things through a domain wall)..

The thing is, travel between cosms, if such were possible, cannot be
mere physical travel, because what happens to, say, the atoms and
molecules in your body once they are embedded in a space that doesn't
obey the same physical laws that are holding them together in the first
place? Assuming particles from our universe can even exist in the
destination cosm, the drastic change in physical laws necessitates the
instant disintegration of any organic being upon arrival. The atoms and
molecules simply wouldn't work the way they do here, and the body ceases
to function. Molecules wouldn't even hold together, much less attach to
each other to form a solid object, so your body simply disintegrates
(and so does your spacecraft).  Moreoever, what of the very quarks and
leptons that constitute the atoms themselves? If there are no such
things as quarks or leptons in the destination cosm, then on what basis
does a physical being from here exist there? You wouldn't be able to
"arrive" there at all, assuming you can even get there!

So ultimately, any actual travel across domain walls or between cosms
necessarily implies metaphysical existence. (If you want such travel to
be story-worthy, that is.) That's the conclusion I came to years ago
w.r.t. the Ferochromon, which is why I adopted the "human essence"
theory. (So perhaps it *isn't* so out-of-thin-air after all. :-P) That's
the only way to make inter-cosm travel possible without immediately
introducing a whole bunch of unresolvable contradictions or requiring
much more elaborate rationalizations than is justifiable just to make a
story plot work!

Barring actual inter-cosm travel, though, interesting things *might* be
possible if you can think of some way of interacting with matter across
a domain wall, say. In theory, one could build an automaton by
indirectly assembling matter across a domain wall, and use that
automaton to explore what's on "the other side".

I have actually thought about this idea for a story fragment (unrelated
to the Ferochromon) involving exploration of a space which has 4 spatial
dimensions (i.e., not 3 spatial + 1 temporal, as in general relativity,
but 4 spatial + 1 temporal). Others have dealt with this idea before, of
course, such as Edwin Abbott's "Flatland" or Rudy Rucker's "Spaceland",
but one problem I have with their treatments is that they presume the
possibility of a lower-dimensional being, being "peeled" off from their
confinement in lower-dimensional space and still continuing to exist as
before inside a higher-dimensional space. The analogy is often made with
"peeling", say, a sticker of a cartoon character from the surface of the
paper and standing it upright in 3D space, but my objection is, real
living beings aren't stickers; they are made of atoms and molecules that
are in constant flux. Metabolism is going on all the time, and
biological processes take place, much of which involves diffusion of
molecules between cell structures, tissue, etc.. How could such a
dynamic entity be simply "peeled off" from its containing space without
any consequences? Wouldn't the diffusing molecules simply diffuse out of
the body altogether when given the additional degree of freedom in 4D
space, leading to the disintegration of the body?  Rucker rationalized
this by having his protagonist grow 4D thickness, so that he acquires a
kind of protective membrane that continues confining his body to 3D
space when he climbs out into 4D space. But still, this isn't entirely
free of problems.

This led me to think that a more plausible scenario might be if we 3D
beings somehow discover a way to "stack" things along a 4th direction
(assuming our universe is actually a brane in an ambient 4D space, of
course), such that we can eventually assemble a functioning 4D machine.
We could then use this machine to explore the spatial directions we
can't access, and transmit this information back to us. We ourselves
can't exist outside of our own 3D universe, but the machine can, and it
acts as our proxy to explore the realms beyond, so to speak. And what if
we tether it back to our 3D space, with a neurological hookup to our
brain that can transmit visual images in real-time? We could then
explore hyperspace as though we were there, without actually being
there.

The same thing could apply to inter-domain wall exploration: assuming we
can get close enough to the domain wall to manipulate matter on the
other side, we can build an automaton that can explore the other side
and transmit the information back to us. The automaton could, in theory,
travel to the next domain wall, and assemble another automaton on the
other side, and so forth, and so we could, in theory, explore domains
separated from us by arbitrarily many intervening domain walls this way.

> Do you have an opinion on the Cheela environment from Robert Forward's
> _Dragon's Egg_? It's strictly still our universe, but a very strange
> little corner of it.

I (just) read the summary on Wikipedia, but since I've have never read
the novel itself, I don't know if I *can* give an opinion about it.

Regardless, living at different speeds is certainly a fun issue to deal
with, which, if you're operating within the confines of our universe, is
something that *needs* to be considered when writing about alien races
(due to relativity). Size is another issue that seems rarely dealt with
in an adequate way. Unfortunately, a large number of scifi novels simply
assume without further consideration that alien beings are approximately
the size of an average human being.  Some may be bigger, some smaller,
but essentially, their size is in the same ballpark as a human's size.
So here, it's quite refreshing to see the author of Dragon's Egg deal
with this issue in a more realistic way.

In any case, as you say, this *is* still our universe, even if it's a
rather strange corner of it. A very interesting corner, to be sure, so
perhaps there's truth to that adage that fact is stranger than fiction.
:)  The Ferochromon is strange in a different way, in that it questions
the very basis for a universe to exist, and decides to answer it in a
vastly different way than our universe.

[...]
> >> I now find myself somewhat annoyed that I know that I know how to
> >> use the "-li" vs. prosodic interrogatives Russian, but I have no
> >> idea how to *explain* it. Sometimes, one just feels better than the
> >> other. And I suppose my non-native intuitions about that are
> >> probably slightly different from native intuitions anyway.
> >
> > I guess my command of Russian is still not that good, but my last
> > impression was that ли constructions were used mainly in indirect
> > questions (he asked whether this was permitted) whereas prosodic
> > interrogatives were used in direct/quotes discourse. Or at least,
> > when I last tried to use a ли construction as a direct question with
> > my Russian friend, he didn't quite understand what I was trying to
> > say.
>
> It definitely *is* used for indirect speech, and less common in direct
> discourse, but every once in a while it pops up in direct discourse
> anyway. I kind of suspect it might be a formulaic / idiomatic thing.

Could be, yeah.

> >> And that reminds me about how I had such a difficult time in my
> >> semantics class this afternoon trying to explain the proper
> >> colloquial usage of "rebjata" and why it is not quite the same as
> >> "dudes" or "guys"; I probably made a complete hash of it, and
> >> really wished our actual Russian student were around to help me
> >> out, but sadly she is gone and won't be back from Russia again
> >> until the fall.  And it's not like there's a serious shortage of
> >> Russians to ask around here, but none of them were in class with
> >> me....
> >
> > Ребята? Isn't that more like "boyz" than "dudes"? (Not that I'd
> > know, though -- my conversational Russian is still rather poor, as
> > my main exposure to the language is via written materials.)
>
> Well, sort of... like I said, it's *not* really the same as "dudes".
> But "boyz" feels wrong to me, too, 'cause my 80-year-old grandma would
> *not* address a group of young men as "dudes" or "boyz-with-a-z",
> while 80-year-old Ukrainian women most definitely throw around
> "ребята" like it ain't no thang.

Yeah, no translation is perfect, especially when it comes to slang /
colloqualisms!

> Incidentally, I also recently discovered some very interesting things
> about short-vs.-long form selection for Russian predicate adjectives
> as part of a corpus project. Gave me lots of conlanging ideas.
[...]

I've always understood the short-form adjectives as being predicative
adjectives. Same with certain predicative verb forms (I don't know what
the correct term is, but sometimes you want to say "X has been Y-ed" and
you'd use a verb form that's reminiscient of the short-form adjectives).
Now, I know that long-form adjectives *can* be used in a predicative
sense as well, but, given my current not-so-strong grasp of the
distinction, I'll just stick with the "use short-form when it's the
predicate, long-form when you're only modifying the noun" rule-of-thumb.

In any case, the existence of the distinction inspired me to think about
how predicative vs. non-predicative adjectives would work in Tatari
Faran. That was when I realized that in TF, a bare adjective in
utterances of the form "<noun> is <adjective>" sounds hollow and
incomplete. So I decided that predicative adjectives should be paired
with a finalizer, much like a verb does (in the indicative mood). For
example:

	kiran     teinin sa.
	young_man smart  CVY:MASC
	A smart young man (non-predicative; sounds incomplete).

	kiran     sa       teinin tipai.
	young_man CVY:MASC smart  perceptive(FIN)
	The young man is smart (predicative; the finalizer makes the
	utterance feel much more complete and assertive).

(The finalizer, although often assigned colorful meanings by native
speakers, does not actually carry any factual content. It does, however,
reinforce the predicativity of the adjective.)

This did mean coining a LOT more finalizers than I had initially
intended, but I think the language as a whole is much more consistent
and aesthetically-pleasing because of it.

Having a smoking section in a restaurant is like having a peeing section
in a swimming pool. -- Edward Burr