CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Portamenteau as a derivational process

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Apr 2013 23:37:00 -0700

On Sat, Apr 20, 2013 at 11:40:30PM -0400, Alex Fink wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Apr 2013 23:47:47 -0700, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >Alright. Believe it or not, I actually managed to sort through the
> >entire TF lexicon! I haven't done a thorough analysis yet, but here
> >are some interesting initial observations.
>
> Awesome.  And if this is not thorough, I quail to imagine the thorough
> version...

Heh... when I started replying I intended to just give a brief overview,
but then I just couldn't resist giving all the juicy details afterwards.
:-P

> >Verbs:
> >- Conclusions:
> >   - While there are a good number of verbs derived with other affixes,
> >     they seem arbitrary and non-systematic.
>
> Hm, I wonder if this could show the "stem alternations" category:
> proto-TF verbs, in whatever inflectivity they retained, had more than
> one stem, with a lot of different lexical patterns of stem
> correspondence.

It's possible, I suppose. I wonder if this may have happened in many
things other than verbs... for example, here are some cognates (or words
that look suspiciously like cognates) of "blood":

aisu	(finalizer) bleeding, bloodily. Used with the verb _hutakas_,
	meaning to smite, strike with great force, give a beating.

asai	(finalizer) reddeningly, of a crimson, bloody color. Used with
	the adjective "red".

saipia'	(masc. n.) spear (_pia'_ means pole or shaft, so this suggests
	the derivation as "blood-shaft")

saisu	(fem. n.) blood, internal bodily fluids.

akaisu	(v) to bleed (_ak_ appears to derive from the postposition
	_aka_, "out", "out from")

It's interesting that of the above words, some appear to derive from the
stem _ais_, some from _sai_, with the noun for "blood" itself deriving
from both. It certainly suggests some kind of ancient stem alternation.

> >Nouns:
> >   - Vowels in feminine nouns show a weak tendency towards /i/, /ei/,
> >     and /u/, whereas masculine nouns lean towards /a/ (I didn't
> >     quantify this precisely, though).
>
> Hm, what is the historical basis of assignment to genders, for words
> that didn't fall in the semantic core of any of the genders?  This
> could be a remnant of a phonological family resemblance that was used
> to make those assignments.

It's possible, for sure. The current gender assignments seem to be based
on some kind of contrasting system (more on this later). Which may have
been an extrapolation from an ancient more phonologically-based
assignment system. It's interesting to note that the prevalent case
particles have /a/ in the masculine and /ei/ in the feminine, whereas
now masculine nouns appear to have a weak tendency towards /a/ and
feminine nouns towards /ei/ (and /u/), thus suggesting that, at least in
part, the ancient gender system may have been based on some kind of
vowel harmony or rhyming scheme.

[...]
> >- Conclusions:
> >   - It looks like -ra vs. -ei, -i, -ri may be vestiges of an ancient
> >     gender inflection system. (There are also a few other traces not
> >     listed here, like _minas_ / _minein_ "name (masc/fem)".)
>
> Name of a male / of a female, you mean?  Is there any cultural reason
> why that's lexicalised?

Heh, I haven't really thought about that. It's interesting to note that
this distinction seem to be quite deeply-rooted in the language; for
example, you have contrasting pairs like:

hatse'	(masc) a man's hair
suiri	(fem) a woman's hair

dukun	(masc) male servant
hina	(fem) female servant

tsuna	(masc) traditional men's garment
sura	(fem) robe (traditional women's garment)

Many words for body parts are variable-gender, with the gender of the
case particle chosen to match the owner's gender. (This may be a modern
innovation, though; in some early TF notes I hypothesized that the case
particles were ancient pronouns, so the variable gender of the body part
words may have been merely a reinterpretation of what used to be a
possessive pronoun.)

Now, outside of biological gender, a good number of current masc/fem
nouns appear to have some kind of contrasting assignment scheme:

keras	(masc) poisonous fruit
ba'as	(fem) edible fruit

baran	(masc) morning/day
mubun	(fem) night

sinkan	(masc) the daytime sky
panikan	(fem) the night sky

bunai	(masc) thumb
jiri	(fem) finger

jukasu	(masc) fast-moving, blocky lava (Hawaiian: a'a)
sinasu	(fem) slow-moving, "smoother" lava (Hawaiian: pahoehoe)

kauna	(masc) crow, predatory bird
tsuinit	(fem) songbird

kuen	(masc) a leafy tree
tinka	(fem) a coniferous tree

maha	(masc) liver (phys); heart (psych.)
umpas	(masc) heart (phys); (fem) temper, emotion (psych.)

miri'	(masc) ice, frost
miris	(fem) snow

pasanan	(masc) town
misanan	(fem) village

batsiu	insect; masc. for large insects, fem. for small insects

So maybe the san faran just like categorizing things this way. I'll have
to prod my informant for more explanations. ;-)

> >   - It seems that -n/-an is a likely nominalizing suffix, though the
> >     picture is muddied by a good amount of finalizers also showing the
> >     same suffix.
> >      * I should note also, that -n/-an is currently the productive
> >        genitive suffix; I'm not sure how this fact ties in with the
> >        above data.
>
> I can just about imagine a process whereby a nominaliser most
> canonically used on quality stems ('long' -> 'a long one') jumps from
> there to be used on possessors ('John' -> 'John's one'), and then
> through use in apposition gets its start as a genitive suffix.

I like this idea! It seems to jive with the fact that a lot of -n/-an
occurrences appear to involve words of very basic meanings (and
therefore probably of more ancient origin). The currently-productive
-n/-an genitive suffix feels like it should be a more recent
development, esp. since it doesn't exhibit many irregularities that
ancient inflections are prone to exhibit.

> >Finalizers:
> >- Conclusions:
> >   - I'm not sure how to interpret the -n/-an derivations for
> >     finalizers. They seem a bit too frequent to write off as
> >     coincidence; yet they don't really fit in with -n/-an being
> >     primarily a nominalizing suffix.
> >      * Moreover, I had previously thought that they were obligatory
> >        adverbs that over time lost their semantic content, yet they
> >        don't seem to share the derivational morphology of adverbs (see
> >        below).  Instead, they seem to related to nouns! So I really
> >        don't know what to make of this right now.
>
> Well, one could certainly try to tell some interesting stories about
> why it would be nouns found in that position.
>
> They could have started out, for instance, as old, semantically
> bleached objects.  Maybe proto-proto-...-TF favoured syntactically
> transitive verbs in some environments, and so semantic intransitives
> took a generic nonreferential complement noun, the way that Mandarin
> _chi1fan4_ 'eat (intr.)' = 'eat a meal, eat rice' has.  (Maybe they
> even frst got a start in negatives, in the French fashion of _ne
> mange mie_, _ne bois goutte_, _ne marche pas_, etc.)
>
> Or, closer to your original idea, they could have started out as nouns
> (maybe in some case form?  though maybe a zero-marked one?) with
> adverbial force.  Thinking about why these might become so useful as
> to become fixed, if not just through expressiveness, hm, perhaps they
> had some sort of completive ~ resultative force ('walked _to the
> [very] top_', 'burnt _to cinders_', 'killed _to a corpse_', etc.), and
> passed through a period where they contributed perfectivity?

I like this idea. Perhaps they were not a single class of words, but
remnants of various words that occurred frequently with the same verbs
until their semantic value has been bleached and they merged into an
eclectic collection of verb-specific finalizers. The pairing of verbs
with finalizers then took root, and eventually caused *all* verbs to
pick up a finalizer via analogy. So you'd have ancient nouns, ancient
adverbs, adjectives, and who knows what else classed as finalizers, all
retaining remnants of diverse word forms as witnessed today.

Also, the bit about not sharing the derivational morphology of adverbs
may not represent the true situation accurately. Yes I didn't find
significant evidence for shared *derivational morphology*, but then a
good proportion of basic adverbs are irreducible, and so are a large
core of finalizers. For all I know, many of the finalizers may have been
reclassified adverbs. Those finalizers that show nominal-like morphology
could have been derived from ancient nouns, like you said.

Your idea also quite accurately describes the force of TF finalizers;
you have examples like _hutakas aisu_: _hutakas_ = to strike with great
force, to beat up; _aisu_ appears to derive from "blood", so you have
what looks like the calcified remnant of an expression akin to "beat to
a bloody pulp".

Then a generic verb like _tapa_ (to walk, to go) that can be paired with
multiple finalizers, among which are _anan_ (seems to be a cognate of
_anui_ "upwards"), for "to go up". Perhaps _an_ was an ancient stem
meaning "up" or "top", which gave rise to _anui_ (to go upwards, from
the attested directional suffix _ui_), and _anan_ (with the -an
nominalizer), so perhaps _tapa anan_ meant "to go to the top", and in
the modern language _anan_ lost its use as a standalone noun, and got
reclassified as a finalizer. A similar analysis would work for _tapa
ta'an_ (to go down(wards)).

This also poses an interesting question of how to analyze certain
zero-valent expressions like: _peira ta'an_ (it is raining, from _peira_
"(neut. n.) rain", and _ta'an_, the finalizer carrying the force of
"down"). If _ta'an_ was a noun in proto-TF, then this expression is a
bit puzzling; why put two nouns together? One possible explanation may
be that it was a statement of location (TF has zero copula, so the
ancient expression may have meant "rain is [arrived] here_on_the_ground"
or something along those lines -- _ta'an_ may have meant "ground", or
perhaps the nominalization of an ancient adverb "down", so "the place
down below").

> (AFMCL, Sabasasaj also has bipartite verbal stems.  The historically
> less verbal component is also difficult to explain and has a few
> frustrating behaviours, but I do have written down that I imagine the
> ancientest cases as being nominal complements or the first sort above,
> that became fixed.)

Would my idea of TF finalizers being a merger of words of diverse
classes work in Sabasasaj as well? :) If it started out as expressions
like "kill to_a_corpse", "eat to_satiation", as you said, then what
stops the same process of semantic bleaching from applying to things
like "run really_very_fast" or "talk very_wordily" or "reddened
like_crimson", etc.?

This is particularly compelling in TF's case, as predicative adjectives
are *also* paired with finalizers, so you have expressions like:

	sura  sei     pirat       inai.
	dress CVY:FEM yellow(ADJ) bright(FIN)
	The dress is yellow.

	sinkan      sa       karat    asai.
	daytime_sky CVY:MASC red(ADJ) as_blood(FIN)
	The sky is red [like blood].

The finalizers can easily have been adjective modifiers ("the dress was
yellow -- bright yellow!"; "the sky was red -- like blood!") that got
bleached of their semantic content. (In modern-day TF, the _inai_ in
_pirat inai_ doesn't carry any factual meaning anymore; a dull yellow
dress is still _pirat inai_.)

> >   - Reduplication seems to turn up with some frequency in finalizers.
> >     They don't seem to be elsewhere besides the currently productive
> >     intensification of adjectives (_baasa_ "big" -> _basa-baasa_ "very
> >     big"). I think it's safe to interpret them as the result of
> >     onamapoia, unrelated to the reduplication of adjectives.
>
> Reduplication is weird that way, historically, just showing up with no
> particular antecedent -- maybe as you say from onomatopoeia, here, or
> some other kind of affective process.  There's no reason why proto-TF
> mightn't've had two different productive reduplication processes.

True. I sorta modelled many aspects of TF after the Austronesian
languages, where reduplication appears to be a common trait; so proto-TF
having multiple reduplication processes is well within my desired
language parameters. :)

> >Adverbs:
> >- 23/43 = 53% of adverbs are irreducible.
> [...]
> >- Conclusions:
> >   - It looks like the directional suffix -ui is the most common
> >     adverbalizing suffix.
>
> It's worth asking what the semantics of these underived TF adverbs
> are, and how internally cohesive they are as a class.  Certainly, in
> the Western grammatical tradition, 'adverb' has been a little bit
> abused as a catch-all.

Adverbs in TF are a very strictly-defined class (at least in modern-day
TF): they are modifiers that immediately follow the main verb. They
include things like "run *fast", "talk *loudly*", "jump *repeatedly*",
etc..

There are some decidedly non-IE adverbs, though, among which are what I
call "adverbs of manner". These are verb modifiers that serve that
function of what in English requires an auxiliary verb construction; for
example:

	tapa    ha         buara   na!
	walk(V) start(ADV) volcano RCP:MASC
	Start walking to the volcano!

In the English translation, the main verb is "start" modified by
"walking"; in TF, on the contrary, the main verb is "walk" and "start"
is an adverb ("startingly"?). In the same vein:

	tapa    bat       buara   na!
	walk(V) stop(ADV) volcano RCP:MASC
	Stop walking to the volcano!

Quite a good number of constructions in English that requires an
auxiliary verb are subsumed by adverbs-of-manner in TF:

	arap       pera     beira sei.
	pick_up(V) try(ADV) stone CVY:FEM
	Try to pick up the stone!

	tsana   irei          maharan so.
	talk(V) continue(ADV) story   CVY:NEUT
	Continue to tell the story.

> The TF class in -ui, I suppose, contain mostly adverbs describing
> motion (paths? manners?)

They are directional adverbs (in the above sense), for example:

	tapa baranui
	walk eastwards

	juerat ta'ui
	look   downwards

They form an interesting class, because they exhibit dialectal
differences in TF. The san faran are divided into the northern tribes
and the southern tribes, and there is a prominent volcano that roughly
forms the boundary between north and south. So you have the adverb
_buaranui_ (from _buara_ "volcano" + -n- [genitive?  ancient
nominalizer?  something else?] + -ui), which to a Northerner means
"southwards", but to a Southerner means "northwards". :)

There's also _huaranui_, from _huara_ ("lake") + -n- + _ui_, which is
only attested in Southern dialects, meaning "southwards" -- because
there is a lake on the south end of Fara, but to a Northerner, the
southern boundary is the _buara_; the lake further south is outside
their territory and therefore of little interest.

OTOH, the Northerners have a word _hiranui_, from _hirana_ (snow-capped
mountain) + _ui_. The _hirana_ here refers to a specific, particularly
spectacular stratovolcano with a snowcapped peak that lies beyond the
barrier mountains along the edge of Northern Fara. This mountain is not
visible from southern Fara, and so the Southerners have no such word. :)

For east/west:

_mubunui_: westwards (from _mubun_ "night" + _ui_)
_baranui_: eastwards (from _baran_ "morning" + _ui_)

Why west is associated with night seems a bit strange (the darkness also
rises from the east, after all!), but perhaps in proto-TF "mubun"
actually meant "sunset" and subsequently got shifted into "night".

Then you have _ta'ui_ (downwards) and _anui_ (upwards), which have
cognates that suggest the stems _ta'_ and _an_ for down and up,
respectively.

(There are probably other -ui words besides these, but I haven't
coined^H^H^H^H^H learned about them from my TF informant yet. :-P)

> >Finally, some interesting observations about the cross-category
> >distribution of affixes (as before, this doesn't include cases which
> >don't have unambiguous evidence that it isn't merely part of the
> >stem):
> >- -ai and -s occur in the most categories: verbs, nouns (all 3 genders),
> >  adjectives, adverbs, and finalizers.
> >- -an occurs in nouns of all 3 genders, adjectives, and finalizers.
> >- -n (including -an) is notably *absent* from all verbs.
>
> Of course, not all of these words need contain the derivational affix
> it looks like they might.  They could have these endings for other
> (coincidental lexical) reasons.  Or have you already accounted for
> that, and all these words contain derivational affixes as attestable
> by comparing other words containing their stem?

I've already accounted for this; there are a great many other words that
look like they have one of the above affixes, but which have no cognates
that differ only in that affix, and so can't be proven to be formed by
affixation (or equivalently, can't be proven not to have a stem that
just coincidentally contains a suffix lookalike).

> >- -su occurs in nouns of all 3 genders as well as one complement; in all
> >  cases it is clearly related to water (_usu_) or liquid (esp. blood,
> >  _saisu_, with cognates _aisu_, _akaisu_, etc.).
>
> Maybe an old liquids noun class, if the noun class system was once
> larger; more likely, to my feeling, just an old root.  Maybe _usu_ is
> original, was reduced to _-su_ in some compounds after a V-final first
> element through crasis, and then that form was generalised.

Yeah, I'm leaning towards that explanation as well.

> >So in conclusion, it looks like one may safely conclude that:
> >- -ai/-itai are verbalizing suffixes which may still be productive in
> >  modern-day TF;
> >- -ra, -ei/-i/-ri are likely vestiges of an ancient gender inflection
> >  system;
> >- -n/-an are nominalizing suffixes.
> >- -s/-as are adjectivising suffixes, and nouns having this suffix are
> >  possibly substantives;
>
> All of this looks solid.

Yeah, I was frankly quite surprised by this. My initial impression was
that the distribution of suffixes like -s or -n were too arbitrary, or,
in some cases, "inverted" from what they should be. Which may still be
the case for a (very) small number of words, but it turns out that the
distribution is much more consistent than I had thought!

Furthermore, my initial analysis seemed to suggest an uneven
distribution of the nominalizing suffixes between noun genders, but this
turned out not to be the case: the numbers were skewed by the fact that
the TF lexicon didn't have equal numbers of masc/fem/other nouns. Once
that was accounted for, the unevenness turned out to be statistically
insignificant.

> >Future directions of investigation:
>
> and looking forward to all of this!
[...]

Heh, on that note, I had just (re)discovered recently that I had
actually composed a poem in TF many years ago, which I had never
published. Due to some errors in the poem, I dug a bit deeper in my old
files, and discovered to my mixed joy/chagrin that the poem was
apparently constructed as a modernization of a sketched initial version
written in "Old Tatari Faran"! Joy, because it was really neat to
rediscover such an interestingly constructed poem; chagrin, because the
"Old Tatari Faran" as represented by the sketch showed some features
that are rather ... shall we say, difficult to reconcile with some of
the evidence I gathered in the above analyses? And also poses some hard
questions about how it could have plausibly evolved into modern TF.

The good thing, of course, is that none of this was ever published (in
fact, the notes containing the sketch explicitly stated that it was
never to be published -- I had anticipated myself, apparently :-P), so I
don't feel the pressure of having to revise a ton of TF material should
I find that I need to drastically reshape what I think Old TF should
look like.

But I may even have anticipated this latter point as well, because the
notes *also* stated that the sketch represented "an ancient poem in Old
Tatari Faran, as recited by an old lady in such-an-such a village".
(The unpublished poem was supposed to be a rendition of said ancient
poem in modern-day TF.) Meaning that the language represented by the
sketch may have been a fabrication or retcon of said old lady, and thus
may not accurately represent what Old TF *actually* was. Gah. I may have
outsmarted myself, 'cos looking over the sketch, I have a hard time
remembering what I had in mind when I wrote it. :-/

What do y'all do when you rediscover old conlang notes that had been
forgotten for many years, and find that it contradicts what you had
subsequently developed in your conlang?

On Sun, Apr 21, 2013 at 07:39:53PM +0200, BPJ wrote:
> 2013-04-20 08:47, H. S. Teoh skrev:
> >    - It seems that -n/-an is a likely nominalizing suffix, though the
> >      picture is muddied by a good amount of finalizers also showing the
> >      same suffix.
> >       * I should note also, that -n/-an is currently the productive
> >         genitive suffix; I'm not sure how this fact ties in with the
> >         above data.
>
> There is no law against homophonous suffixes, or suffixes
> becoming homophonous, is there? ;-)
[...]

True! That did occur to me as well. After all, there seems to be signs
of distinction between -s/-as for the adjectivising suffix, vs. -s/-is
for the currently-productive partitive case suffix. It's very possible
that there may have been two distinct -n suffixes in proto-proto-TF that
became lookalikes due to mergers in some ancient vowels.

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters
will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare.  Now, thanks
to the Internet, we know this is not true. -- Robert Wilensk