CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Edeinal: Language of the Edeinos

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:39:22 -0600

On 22 April 2013 17:02, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 01:18:10PM -0600, Logan Kearsley wrote:
[...]
>> While it is clearly wildly different in many other ways, lots of your
>> descriptions of the Ferochromon remind me of various aspects of the
>> Unicorn Jelly cosmi. I wonder if that says something about general
>> psychological tendencies when humans try to make up worlds.  The
>> Ebisedi with their proclivity for describing everything in threes
>> would probably feel quite at home in Tryslmaistan (the primary cosmos
>> of Unicorn Jelly) as physics there genuinely does favor triplets of
>> everything (three electric-equivalent charges, space segmented in a
>> triangular-faceted latticework, etc.).
>
> Heh. I guess it's a much more realistic take on my childhood question of
> "what if there were 3 electric charges", than the way the Ferochromon
> turned out to be. :-P

Funny thing is, real physics *has* particles with tripartite charge
(quarks & gluons). Those obey the Yukawa potential that I previously
mentioned, but one could imagine replacing that with a regular
inverse-square law to get a three-way version of electricity which
actually would be less complicated than the Tryslmaistan version.

> So there are some fundamental things about the Ferochromon that
> "violate" the way *our* universe works. And one such thing is sight by
> instantaneous perception. :) As for light... it's arguably if light even
> exists in the Ferochromon. All matter has intrinsic brightness
> (dependent on a number of parameters like energy state, etc.), which is
> directly perceived by the sight organs. So there is no need for such a
> thing as light as a carrier of visual information! (Indeed, various
> notes I have on the Ferochromon describe it as a "very bright" and "very
> colorful" place -- probably because light and shade aren't part of the
> equation.)

This makes me wonder how perspective and range and transparency /
opacity work out. And whether information transfer is instantaneous or
not.

> I guess we started from very different footings. When I started working
> on the Ferochromon decades ago, I started from an entirely different
> premise. I didn't even consider whether suitable modifications of
> real-world physics would yield what I wanted; instead, I started by
> asking, what would a self-consistent system that could operate as a
> functioning universe look like, if it would ultimately give me
> phenomenon X, Y, Z? I didn't constrain myself with considerations such
> as "it must be mathematically analysable" or "it should be similar to
> the real world" or "it has forces analogous to the real world".
>
> I *did* require it to be self-consistent, so cop-outs like "X, Y, and Z
> happen because it's magic and magic can do anything" are ruled out.
> Cheesy clichés like elves and dragons are also excluded. And it must
> exhibit the phenomena I wanted to include (I was trying to retrofit some
> childhood story fragments into a larger cohesive whole).  Other than
> that, though, the Ferochromon was allowed to develop in fundamentally
> different ways from our universe.

If it's fully internally consistent, I bet it would turn out to be
mathematically analyzable, if any physicists/mathematicians decided
they had the free time to try analyzing it. :)
The possible natures of alternate universes is an interesting problem
in both physics & philosophy. Max Tegmark defined a hierarchy of
different cosmic structures that could reasonably be called "alternate
universes", the highest level of which is the idea that any universe
that can be imagined actually exists in some sense (kind of like
Heinlein's idea that, if universes are infinite, all fictional
universes exist somewhere), and thus every mathematically consistent
model describes some real (potentially extremely boring) universe.
I am deeply intrigued by the idea of designing mathematical systems of
sufficient complexity that they could support something like life
(like cellular automata- there are even straight-faced theories of
real physics based on the idea that our universe is some kind of
higher-dimensional cellular automaton) with no regard for the
mathematics that happens to underly our universe. But that's a whole
lot harder than just twiddling the parameters in string theories. :)

> I guess you're operating within the confines of a universe/cosm that is
> essentially the real world + some modifications. With the Ferochromon, I
> relaxed the requirement to "things must have a consistent explanation"
> but no constraint on whether that explanation even remotely looks like
> how the real world works. I don't even know if there's such a thing as
> entropy in the Ferochromon! To each his own, I suppose.

Entropy is a fairly basic consequence of information theory, so I find
it hard to imagine how an internally consistent universe could be
without it; but it's entirely conceivable that entropy in the
Ferochromon may not be nearly as *annoying* as it is here, if there
are different rules about how it gets created, destroyed, and shuffled
around.

> In the case of the Ferochromon (and no, pulling rabbits out of hats is
> *not* an accepted phenomenon there :-P), I eventually worked out enough
> details to be able to extrapolate backwards to an analogue of the Big
> Bang, and how that eventually produced the large-scale structure of the
> Ferochromon in its present state, which you can read about here:
>
>         http://conlang.eusebeia.dyndns.org/ferochromon/cosmohist.html
>
> Be forewarned, though, that terms like "energy" or "matter" are used in
> an analogical sense, and have no real relation to the definitions of
> these words in real-world physics.

Neat! Thanks for the link.

> The thing is, travel between cosms, if such were possible, cannot be
> mere physical travel, because what happens to, say, the atoms and
> molecules in your body once they are embedded in a space that doesn't
> obey the same physical laws that are holding them together in the first
> place?

They don't get to be embedded there in the first place; that's the
point of domain walls. :) Particles encountering a domain wall either
a) cross over, potentially with some parameters (like mass) altered if
the same basic kind of particle is capable of existing on the other
side,
b) reflect off, if they can't exist on the other side
c) instantly decay into a bunch of particles that can exist in the
other space and preserve inter-universal properties (like energy).
E.g., if we created an alternate vacuum state in a lab that had
massive photons, the domain wall surrounding it would be a perfect
mirror for photons below a certain energy level, and a partial mirror
(because some will pass through converting energy to mass and dumping
momentum into the domain wall, while some will reflect off) for
photons of higher energy. Don't try poking an unknown domain wall with
your finger!

But then, that's assuming your universe operates according to some
variety of string theory. Which I gather the Ferochromon almost
certainly does not.

> So ultimately, any actual travel across domain walls or between cosms
> necessarily implies metaphysical existence. (If you want such travel to
> be story-worthy, that is.) That's the conclusion I came to years ago
> w.r.t. the Ferochromon, which is why I adopted the "human essence"
> theory. (So perhaps it *isn't* so out-of-thin-air after all. :-P) That's
> the only way to make inter-cosm travel possible without immediately
> introducing a whole bunch of unresolvable contradictions or requiring
> much more elaborate rationalizations than is justifiable just to make a
> story plot work!

One of my CS professors has an interesting idea about consciousness &
quantum mechanics which (unbeknownst to him) has a lot of similarity
to ideas in _Anathem_ (which involves some made-up languages! Hah,
back on topic!)
Basically, it's that quantum 'randomness' isn't actually random, it's
just seeing the effects of unobservable processes outside the universe
that inject information into our universe. It lets you posit that
spirits are real (and just exist outside our space, and take advantage
of this process to manipulate physical brains inside our space)
without having to give up on strict materialist physics.
It seems something like that matches up pretty well with the idea of
"human essence" impinging on the Ferochromon as well.

> Barring actual inter-cosm travel, though, interesting things *might* be
> possible if you can think of some way of interacting with matter across
> a domain wall, say. In theory, one could build an automaton by
> indirectly assembling matter across a domain wall, and use that
> automaton to explore what's on "the other side".

I've toyed with the idea of explorers taking along an "inter-space
suit" made out of domain wall that holds a bubble of their own space
around them. In some universes, you'd essentially be stuck in a
sensory deprivation box; in others, where the physical laws are
similar enough in the right ways, you could figure out some way to
exchange particles across the boundary to communicate. But in any
case, you could push the domain wall itself around to interact tactily
(if dangerously!).

>> Do you have an opinion on the Cheela environment from Robert Forward's
>> _Dragon's Egg_? It's strictly still our universe, but a very strange
>> little corner of it.
>
> I (just) read the summary on Wikipedia, but since I've have never read
> the novel itself, I don't know if I *can* give an opinion about it.

For the benefit of anyone else who might be reading along and care,
then- the Cheela are made out of condensed nucleonic matter and live
on the surface of a neutron star; instead of chemical reactions, their
biological processes run on nuclear reactions, and unlike atomic
"solids" that are mostly empty space, their equivalent of solids and
liquids are actually mostly matter. Since their environment is so
dense, it's really easy to manipulate gravitational and
gravitomagnetic forces the way we play with electromagnetic forces,
and they can access nuclear color charge currents as well as electric
currents. Light comes from the ground instead of the sky (so caves
aren't dark). And their atmosphere is vaporized iron nucleii in a
continuous electron cloud, and thin enough that it's possible to touch
vacuum from the surface.

> Regardless, living at different speeds is certainly a fun issue to deal
> with, which, if you're operating within the confines of our universe, is
> something that *needs* to be considered when writing about alien races
> (due to relativity). Size is another issue that seems rarely dealt with
> in an adequate way. Unfortunately, a large number of scifi novels simply
> assume without further consideration that alien beings are approximately
> the size of an average human being.  Some may be bigger, some smaller,
> but essentially, their size is in the same ballpark as a human's size.
> So here, it's quite refreshing to see the author of Dragon's Egg deal
> with this issue in a more realistic way.

Well, for most Sci-Fi, human-ballpark *is* realistic. Brains require a
certain minimum number of components, after all. The Cheela get to
cheat by being just as massive as an average human, just way more
*dense*.

>> Incidentally, I also recently discovered some very interesting things
>> about short-vs.-long form selection for Russian predicate adjectives
>> as part of a corpus project. Gave me lots of conlanging ideas.
> [...]
>
> I've always understood the short-form adjectives as being predicative
> adjectives. Same with certain predicative verb forms (I don't know what
> the correct term is, but sometimes you want to say "X has been Y-ed" and
> you'd use a verb form that's reminiscient of the short-form adjectives).
> Now, I know that long-form adjectives *can* be used in a predicative
> sense as well, but, given my current not-so-strong grasp of the
> distinction, I'll just stick with the "use short-form when it's the
> predicate, long-form when you're only modifying the noun" rule-of-thumb.

Ah, but sometimes you *can't* (or, I should say, "natives are
incredibly unlikely to") use the short form! More generically, some
adjectives just don't get used as predicates. For example, I
discovered that, out of 618 instances of "важный" in short form, only
about 5 were anything other than predicate *adverbial* uses (i.e.,
"важный" just isn't used as a predicate for nouns), while out of 214
instances of non-short-form "важный" appearing in translations of
English predicate adjectives, only 2 or three were actual predicate
adjectives, and the rest were attributives in redundant noun phrases
(i.e. "это имеет важное значение" is used in place of "это важно").

All in all, I discovered three general classes of adjective behavior
while analyzing short vs. long forms in Sketch Engine.
1) Adjectives that are almost exclusively used as short-form predicates.
2) Adjectives that really do seem to exhibit
non-contextually-dependent free choice of either form in predicate
position.
3) Adjectives that are almost never used as predicates, and get
stuffed into redundant noun phrases when they have to be put in
predicate positions.

(3) is the one that really piques my conlanging interest; (1) fits
well with the idea of dedicated predicate words that I had during that
disucssion on how to come up with as many parts of speech as possible
that we had a few months ago, but (3) implies the possibility of a
language in which adjectives are never nominalized and never used as
predicates, and thus always have to be packaged up in a larger phrase,
with some generic nouns available just for that purpose. Kind of like
how lots of languages don't allow nouns to be counted unless they're
packaged up in a phrase with a special counter word.

> In any case, the existence of the distinction inspired me to think about
> how predicative vs. non-predicative adjectives would work in Tatari
> Faran. That was when I realized that in TF, a bare adjective in
> utterances of the form "<noun> is <adjective>" sounds hollow and
> incomplete. So I decided that predicative adjectives should be paired
> with a finalizer, much like a verb does (in the indicative mood). For
> example:
>
>         kiran     teinin sa.
>         young_man smart  CVY:MASC
>         A smart young man (non-predicative; sounds incomplete).
>
>         kiran     sa       teinin tipai.
>         young_man CVY:MASC smart  perceptive(FIN)
>         The young man is smart (predicative; the finalizer makes the
>         utterance feel much more complete and assertive).
>
> (The finalizer, although often assigned colorful meanings by native
> speakers, does not actually carry any factual content. It does, however,
> reinforce the predicativity of the adjective.)
>
> This did mean coining a LOT more finalizers than I had initially
> intended, but I think the language as a whole is much more consistent
> and aesthetically-pleasing because of it.

Indeed, that is quite nice. I rather like it.

-l.