CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Edeinal: Language of the Edeinos

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 2013 00:49:28 -0600

On 22 April 2013 22:34, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 06:39:22PM -0600, Logan Kearsley wrote:
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Heh. I guess it's a much more realistic take on my childhood
>> > question of "what if there were 3 electric charges", than the way
>> > the Ferochromon turned out to be. :-P
>>
>> Funny thing is, real physics *has* particles with tripartite charge
>> (quarks & gluons). Those obey the Yukawa potential that I previously
>> mentioned, but one could imagine replacing that with a regular
>> inverse-square law to get a three-way version of electricity which
>> actually would be less complicated than the Tryslmaistan version.
>
> Yeah, I realize that real physics *has* a 3-way color charge in quarks.
> I ruled that out early on in the development of the Ferochromon because
> the Yukawa potential makes color interactions obvious only at subatomic
> scales, and I wanted a macroscopic 3-way charge. :)

Just having a Yukawa potential doesn't inherently restrict it to
subatomic scales; the range of the force is inversely proportional to
the mass of the force carriers. If gluons were significantly lighter,
strong nuclear force could extend over macroscopic distances.

> That may be so, but then I don't know if I actually achieved *full*
> internal consistency -- it's no small feat to create an entire
> constructed universe that at least has the *potential* to be fully
> self-consistent, much less to work out every last detail in full
> consistency! With real-world physics, at least you could just do
> experiments to rule out certain hypotheses, and you *know* (or at least,
> we've come to expect) that the universe will turn out to be consistent
> in the end.

That's not actually a given (see "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of
Mathematics"). The proof that the world will appear to be consistent
under quantum mechanics is not entirely trivial, and rather
interesting.

> Graham's number
> exploded my perception of infinity several times over, and it's still a
> *finite* number! And in fact, a rather smallish one as far as huge
> numbers are concerned (look up Jonathan Bowers' "infinity scrapers"
> sometime, if you feel like having your perception of infinity blown off
> the face of the universe, many times over).

I remember that experience myself. It was rather exciting.

> But all of this is still in the realm of the *finite*. Infinity? Do we
> even remotely have any idea just how unbelievably huge the first
> countable infinity is? And here we're talking about an *uncountable*
> infinity?  Occam's Razor already kicked in before we started counting
> past 1, and now we're positing an uncountable number of universes? I
> just find that a *little* hard to swallow. :-)

Hm. Well, given my background in programming, I tend to think there
are only three natural numbers of things that require no explanation-
zero (because it's impossible), one, or infinite. Any other number,
you better have a darn good reason for.
So, either there's only one universe, or there's an uncountably
infinite number, or physics got some 'splainin' to do.

> The Heisenburg uncertainty principle smells suspiciously like the
> "universe computer" is running a simulation over Planck-scale
> time-steps, with after-the-fact adjustments that makes the result appear
> as though things are happening in a continuum of space-time. But once
> you start probing it enough, you discover this impenetrable uncertainty
> that somehow stops you from getting any smaller than the Planck scale.
> Maybe the reason is that smaller time (and space) scales simply don't
> exist! Maybe the universe only exists down to Planck units, and
> everything apparently smaller is only an illusion created by the
> self-correcting adjustments of the "universe computer"!

I've heard a lot of arguments for the simulation hypothesis, but
Heisenberg as a manifestation of interpolation is a new one for me.
Interesting.

> [...]
>> > The thing is, travel between cosms, if such were possible, cannot be
>> > mere physical travel, because what happens to, say, the atoms and
>> > molecules in your body once they are embedded in a space that
>> > doesn't obey the same physical laws that are holding them together
>> > in the first place?
>>
>> They don't get to be embedded there in the first place; that's the
>> point of domain walls. :) Particles encountering a domain wall either
>> a) cross over, potentially with some parameters (like mass) altered if
>> the same basic kind of particle is capable of existing on the other
>> side,
>> b) reflect off, if they can't exist on the other side
>> c) instantly decay into a bunch of particles that can exist in the
>> other space and preserve inter-universal properties (like energy).
>> E.g., if we created an alternate vacuum state in a lab that had
>> massive photons, the domain wall surrounding it would be a perfect
>> mirror for photons below a certain energy level, and a partial mirror
>> (because some will pass through converting energy to mass and dumping
>> momentum into the domain wall, while some will reflect off) for
>> photons of higher energy. Don't try poking an unknown domain wall with
>> your finger!
>
> Interesting. But that means if you walk through a domain wall, you may
> discover that all your electrons have decided to stay on the near side
> while your nuclei made it through... instant disintegration!

Indeed you might! So don't go poking it. :)

>> One of my CS professors has an interesting idea about consciousness &
>> quantum mechanics which (unbeknownst to him) has a lot of similarity
>> to ideas in _Anathem_ (which involves some made-up languages! Hah,
>> back on topic!)
>>
>> Basically, it's that quantum 'randomness' isn't actually random, it's
>> just seeing the effects of unobservable processes outside the universe
>> that inject information into our universe. It lets you posit that
>> spirits are real (and just exist outside our space, and take advantage
>> of this process to manipulate physical brains inside our space)
>> without having to give up on strict materialist physics.  It seems
>> something like that matches up pretty well with the idea of "human
>> essence" impinging on the Ferochromon as well.
>
> Most fascinating!!
>
> I'm also a fan of higher-dimensional space speculations... Having
> learned how to visualize 4D objects (to a certain extent), it seems to
> me to be almost obvious to posit that perhaps there exist other
> macroscopic dimensions outside the 3 we know (not counting microscopic /
> confined dimensions posited by string theory). Hypothetical entities
> that exist in such a space can be standing 1/8 of an inch away from our
> 3D space, and we would be absolutely oblivious to their presence, much
> as hypothetical 2D beings confined to the surface of a desk would be
> absolutely oblivious to our hand hovering 1/8 of an inch above the desk.
>
> What may not be so obvious, in the usual discussions involving
> higher-dimensional spaces, is that if such macroscopic dimensions exist,
> and if there are indeed such things as living entities inhabiting that
> extra space, then they can't possibly be made of the same matter as we
> (or our physical bodies) are -- since otherwise, why are they *not*
> confined to our 3D space? This is another motivation for my automaton
> idea (quoted below), and another objection to the way higher dimensions
> are depicted in the Flatland and Spaceland novels. How are we to know,
> for example, if the atoms and molecules we (or our body) are made of,
> are the consequence of confinement to 3D space? If they were suddenly
> freed from this confinement, would they not instantly disintegrate?

Math. :) It is strongly suspected that the form of inverse square laws
is directly related to the dimensionality of space (it cannot
*possibly* be a coincidence that field strength decreases in direct
proportion to the decreasing concentration of virtual particles in
larger volumes of space). (It's also suspected by some that the reason
gravity is so weak is that it's effects leak a short distance into
higher dimensions.) So, adding an extra dimension to your atoms would
radically change all of the available energy levels (as well as making
closed orbits impossible; not a problem for atoms, but definitely a
problem for solar systems), which would be bad for your health most
certainly.

>> > Barring actual inter-cosm travel, though, interesting things *might*
>> > be possible if you can think of some way of interacting with matter
>> > across a domain wall, say. In theory, one could build an automaton
>> > by indirectly assembling matter across a domain wall, and use that
>> > automaton to explore what's on "the other side".
>>
>> I've toyed with the idea of explorers taking along an "inter-space
>> suit" made out of domain wall that holds a bubble of their own space
>> around them. In some universes, you'd essentially be stuck in a
>> sensory deprivation box; in others, where the physical laws are
>> similar enough in the right ways, you could figure out some way to
>> exchange particles across the boundary to communicate. But in any
>> case, you could push the domain wall itself around to interact tactily
>> (if dangerously!).
>
> But if some particles of your body transfer across the domain wall but
> others don't, wouldn't you lose a hand the instant you tried pushing the
> domain wall?

You would carefully push with particle beams, not your precious hand.
It would have to be a rather large suit. More like a submersible,
actually.

>> All in all, I discovered three general classes of adjective behavior
>> while analyzing short vs. long forms in Sketch Engine.
>> 1) Adjectives that are almost exclusively used as short-form predicates.
>> 2) Adjectives that really do seem to exhibit
>> non-contextually-dependent free choice of either form in predicate
>> position.
>> 3) Adjectives that are almost never used as predicates, and get
>> stuffed into redundant noun phrases when they have to be put in
>> predicate positions.
>
> Hmm, interesting.  And in retrospect, yeah, adjectives do seem to fall
> into these three categories.
>
>> (3) is the one that really piques my conlanging interest; (1) fits
>> well with the idea of dedicated predicate words that I had during that
>> disucssion on how to come up with as many parts of speech as possible
>> that we had a few months ago, but (3) implies the possibility of a
>> language in which adjectives are never nominalized and never used as
>> predicates, and thus always have to be packaged up in a larger phrase,
>> with some generic nouns available just for that purpose. Kind of like
>> how lots of languages don't allow nouns to be counted unless they're
>> packaged up in a phrase with a special counter word.
>
> Right, so one could conceivably have a conlang in which predicative
> adjectives must be used on a generic noun, or maybe reflexive noun, that
> refers back to the subject. So you couldn't say "the car is red", but
> you have to say "the car is a red one" with "one" being a suitable
> generic noun.

Yup. But, to make it more interesting, rather than just allowing free
choice of a suitable noun, I'd want a whole system of standardized
thematically appropriate classifier-nouns (rather like Tatari Faran
finalizers, now that I think about it).

>> > In any case, the existence of the distinction inspired me to think
>> > about how predicative vs. non-predicative adjectives would work in
>> > Tatari Faran. That was when I realized that in TF, a bare adjective
>> > in utterances of the form "<noun> is <adjective>" sounds hollow and
>> > incomplete. So I decided that predicative adjectives should be
>> > paired with a finalizer, much like a verb does (in the indicative
>> > mood). For example:
>> >
>> >         kiran     teinin sa.
>> >         young_man smart  CVY:MASC
>> >         A smart young man (non-predicative; sounds incomplete).
>> >
>> >         kiran     sa       teinin tipai.
>> >         young_man CVY:MASC smart  perceptive(FIN)
>> >         The young man is smart (predicative; the finalizer makes the
>> >         utterance feel much more complete and assertive).
>> >
>> > (The finalizer, although often assigned colorful meanings by native
>> > speakers, does not actually carry any factual content. It does,
>> > however, reinforce the predicativity of the adjective.)
>> >
>> > This did mean coining a LOT more finalizers than I had initially
>> > intended, but I think the language as a whole is much more
>> > consistent and aesthetically-pleasing because of it.
>>
>> Indeed, that is quite nice. I rather like it.
> [...]
>
> Thanks!
>
> This decision also led to some intriguing conlang considerations: once
> TF adjectives are paired with finalizers in the same way verbs are, then
> the above clause structure NP-ADJ-FIN completely parallels the clause
> structure of monovalent verbal clauses NP-V-FIN.
>
> Furthermore, in TF, NP structure is of the form N-ADJ-CASE when an
> adjective is present; a similar structure exists for single-verb
> relative clauses: N-REL_V-CASE. The relative verb in the latter is
> formed by inflecting the verb with suitable affixes to indicate that
> it's a subordinate verb instead of the main verb.
>
> These two observations put together seems to imply that adjectives
> behave almost exactly like monovalent verbs!

This would not be at all unusual; Russian again provides the ANADEW,
as actual honest-to-goodness past tense verbs (which conveniently have
the same inflectional endings as predicate adjectives) are in fact
historically derived from short-form predicate participles.

> What's more, my recent reanalysis of the TF lexicon for affixation
> patterns shows that a significant number of adjectives are derived by
> the adjectivising suffix -s/-as. Now, in predicative adjectival
> statements (NP-ADJ-FIN) the NP is always in the CVY case. Given a
> monovalent *verbal* clause where the NP is in the CVY case, the
> subordinate form for the monovalent verb is ... guess what?
> -s/-as/-satas when the verb is vowel-initial! So then an NP with such a
> verb in a relative clause would be N-REL_V-CASE, where REL_V has the
> essentially the same morphology as ADJ!
>
> This suggests that perhaps TF adjectives are equivalent to monovalent
> verbs. Or at least, a good number of them can be regarded as such.  It's
> a rather surprising conclusion, but certainly a very compelling one!  In
> fact, it seems likely that perhaps in a descendent lang these two word
> classes will completely merge, and thus adjectives will *be* stative
> verbs then!
>
> (I did not plan for this coincidence to happen... but somehow,
> subconciously, something must have made the equivalence, which shows up
> as assigning essentially the same morphology between a good number of
> adjectives and monovalent verbs. Talk about serendipity!)

This of course causes one to wonder in which direction the convergence
started out historically- did adjectives getting reanalyzed as verbs
cause verbal inflections to change by analogy, in parallel to the
evolution of modern Russian, or did adjectives getting used like verbs
cause adjective inflections to change by analogy with an existing verb
paradigm?

-l.