CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Edeinal: Language of the Edeinos

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:12:41 -0700

On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 12:49:28AM -0600, Logan Kearsley wrote:
> On 22 April 2013 22:34, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
[...]
> > Yeah, I realize that real physics *has* a 3-way color charge in
> > quarks.  I ruled that out early on in the development of the
> > Ferochromon because the Yukawa potential makes color interactions
> > obvious only at subatomic scales, and I wanted a macroscopic 3-way
> > charge. :)
>
> Just having a Yukawa potential doesn't inherently restrict it to
> subatomic scales; the range of the force is inversely proportional to
> the mass of the force carriers. If gluons were significantly lighter,
> strong nuclear force could extend over macroscopic distances.

I see. Didn't know that before. :)

> > That may be so, but then I don't know if I actually achieved *full*
> > internal consistency -- it's no small feat to create an entire
> > constructed universe that at least has the *potential* to be fully
> > self-consistent, much less to work out every last detail in full
> > consistency! With real-world physics, at least you could just do
> > experiments to rule out certain hypotheses, and you *know* (or at
> > least, we've come to expect) that the universe will turn out to be
> > consistent in the end.
>
> That's not actually a given (see "The Unreasonable Effectiveness of
> Mathematics"). The proof that the world will appear to be consistent
> under quantum mechanics is not entirely trivial, and rather
> interesting.

Interesting indeed.

> > Graham's number exploded my perception of infinity several times
> > over, and it's still a *finite* number! And in fact, a rather
> > smallish one as far as huge numbers are concerned (look up Jonathan
> > Bowers' "infinity scrapers" sometime, if you feel like having your
> > perception of infinity blown off the face of the universe, many
> > times over).
>
> I remember that experience myself. It was rather exciting.
>
> > But all of this is still in the realm of the *finite*. Infinity? Do
> > we even remotely have any idea just how unbelievably huge the first
> > countable infinity is? And here we're talking about an *uncountable*
> > infinity?  Occam's Razor already kicked in before we started
> > counting past 1, and now we're positing an uncountable number of
> > universes? I just find that a *little* hard to swallow. :-)
>
> Hm. Well, given my background in programming, I tend to think there
> are only three natural numbers of things that require no explanation-
> zero (because it's impossible), one, or infinite. Any other number,
> you better have a darn good reason for.
>
> So, either there's only one universe, or there's an uncountably
> infinite number, or physics got some 'splainin' to do.

Hold on there, I think you may have missed my point. There is a
difference between a *countable* infinity and an *uncountable* one. A
countable infinity is one in which the constituent elements may be fully
enumerated in a sequence (obviously, infinite in length). An uncountable
infinity, OTOH, is a far vaster quantity, in that it is *inherently*
impossible to enumerate its elements in any linear sequence.

The set of natural numbers, obviously, is a countable infinity, because
we can start counting from 0, 1, 2, ... and eventually all elements will
be enumerated (yes it will take infinite time, but the point is that
given *any* element of the set, we will get to it in finite time, even
if the entire set requires infinite time to fully enumerate).

The set of rational numbers has the interesting property of denseness:
between any two fractions you can always find another one. Does that
make it an uncountable infinity? Actually, no. If you make a table of
numerators and denominators and lay it out like this:

	1/1  1/2  1/3  1/4  1/5 ...
	2/1  2/2  2/3  2/4  2/5 ...
	3/1  3/2  3/3  3/4  3/5 ...
	4/1  4/2  4/3  4/4  4/5 ...

There are some repeated elements (1/1 = 2/2 = 3/3, etc.), but the point
is that *any* rational number has a place in this table. Now what you do
is to take diagonal slices of it:

	1/1
	2/1 1/2
	3/1 2/2 1/3
	4/1 3/2 2/3 1/4

which obviously also cover every element of the table. Now stick them
all together end-to-end, and you have a full enumeration of all rational
numbers. (There are some repeated elements, yes, but it's clear that any
rational number you can think of is included in this enumeration.)

In fact, by the above method, one can prove that any n-dimensional
vector of natural numbers (or, for that matter, vector of rational
numbers) is countable.

One may be tempted to think then that every infinite set is countable...
but such is not the case.  Things change in a fundamental way when you
start talking about the real numbers. The problem with the rationals is
that, even though they are dense, they nevertheless have many "holes":
sqrt(2) isn't in the set, for example, even though you can approximate
it arbitrarily closely. Neither are pi or e (2.71828...).

I won't go into the proof here, as it's non-trivial, but the set of real
numbers is of a fundamentally different kind of infinity that is, in
some sense, "infinitely larger" than the countable infinity. It is so
large, in fact, that it is actually impossible to prove, within the
currently-accepted framework of mathematics, exactly just how large it
is. In some theories, it can be made arbitrarily large in the hierarchy
of infinite quantities.

The latter is why I have a problem with the physical existence of an
*uncountable* number of universes. A *countable* infinity, though quite
mind-boggling, is still somewhat palatable, because it is enumerable.
Even if the enumeration never ends, one can, intuitively speaking, "look
down a long line of elements and extrapolate its infinite length
stretching off into the distance", so to speak. But an *uncountable*
infinity... that's something else. It's something unimaginably huge, so
inherently infinite that you cannot even cut it up into discrete chunks!
Worse yet, it is so huge that even mathematics (in its present state
anyway) cannot prove anything about its exact quantity. To me, that
suggests that it is bordering on the edge of reality vs. purely
conceptual mathematics, in that shadowy land of indeterminate state
where one can adopt different mathematical frameworks to assign any
arbitrary value to it, which to me smells very suspicious.  That's why I
have trouble accepting that there can be *that* many physically-existing
universes. One might as well say that anything that one can imagine has
actual existence somewhere "out there"!

[...]
> >> One of my CS professors has an interesting idea about consciousness
> >> & quantum mechanics which (unbeknownst to him) has a lot of
> >> similarity to ideas in _Anathem_ (which involves some made-up
> >> languages! Hah, back on topic!)
> >>
> >> Basically, it's that quantum 'randomness' isn't actually random,
> >> it's just seeing the effects of unobservable processes outside the
> >> universe that inject information into our universe. It lets you
> >> posit that spirits are real (and just exist outside our space, and
> >> take advantage of this process to manipulate physical brains inside
> >> our space) without having to give up on strict materialist physics.
> >> It seems something like that matches up pretty well with the idea
> >> of "human essence" impinging on the Ferochromon as well.
> >
> > Most fascinating!!
> >
> > I'm also a fan of higher-dimensional space speculations... Having
> > learned how to visualize 4D objects (to a certain extent), it seems
> > to me to be almost obvious to posit that perhaps there exist other
> > macroscopic dimensions outside the 3 we know (not counting
> > microscopic / confined dimensions posited by string theory).
> > Hypothetical entities that exist in such a space can be standing 1/8
> > of an inch away from our 3D space, and we would be absolutely
> > oblivious to their presence, much as hypothetical 2D beings confined
> > to the surface of a desk would be absolutely oblivious to our hand
> > hovering 1/8 of an inch above the desk.
> >
> > What may not be so obvious, in the usual discussions involving
> > higher-dimensional spaces, is that if such macroscopic dimensions
> > exist, and if there are indeed such things as living entities
> > inhabiting that extra space, then they can't possibly be made of the
> > same matter as we (or our physical bodies) are -- since otherwise,
> > why are they *not* confined to our 3D space? This is another
> > motivation for my automaton idea (quoted below), and another
> > objection to the way higher dimensions are depicted in the Flatland
> > and Spaceland novels. How are we to know, for example, if the atoms
> > and molecules we (or our body) are made of, are the consequence of
> > confinement to 3D space? If they were suddenly freed from this
> > confinement, would they not instantly disintegrate?
>
> Math. :) It is strongly suspected that the form of inverse square laws
> is directly related to the dimensionality of space (it cannot
> *possibly* be a coincidence that field strength decreases in direct
> proportion to the decreasing concentration of virtual particles in
> larger volumes of space). (It's also suspected by some that the reason
> gravity is so weak is that it's effects leak a short distance into
> higher dimensions.) So, adding an extra dimension to your atoms would
> radically change all of the available energy levels (as well as making
> closed orbits impossible; not a problem for atoms, but definitely a
> problem for solar systems), which would be bad for your health most
> certainly.

Yeah, I'm quite aware that the inverse square laws seem to be directly
tied to the dimensionality of space.

In fact, it has been proven that not only are planetary orbits
impossible above 3D; the Schroedinger equation of the hydrogen atom in
dimensions above 3 has no non-zero minima, which means that not only
will your energy levels change radically; they will vanish altogether!
So atoms as we know them cannot exist above 3D.  "Peeling" a 3D being
off into a higher-dimensional space would imply instant disintegration,
not just into the constituent atoms, but the atoms themselves would
disintegrate into fundamental particles.  Whatever *can* exist in a
higher dimensional space must therefore be of a *fundamentally*
different nature than anything we're familiar with in our 3D world.

[...]
> > Right, so one could conceivably have a conlang in which predicative
> > adjectives must be used on a generic noun, or maybe reflexive noun,
> > that refers back to the subject. So you couldn't say "the car is
> > red", but you have to say "the car is a red one" with "one" being a
> > suitable generic noun.
>
> Yup. But, to make it more interesting, rather than just allowing free
> choice of a suitable noun, I'd want a whole system of standardized
> thematically appropriate classifier-nouns (rather like Tatari Faran
> finalizers, now that I think about it).

Except that the TF finalizers are no nouns; they carry predicative
meaning (albeit said meaning has since been bleached, so they play a
mostly grammatical role now -- except for a scant few exceptions where
they still retain a bit of adverbial meaning).

[...]
> > This decision also led to some intriguing conlang considerations:
> > once TF adjectives are paired with finalizers in the same way verbs
> > are, then the above clause structure NP-ADJ-FIN completely parallels
> > the clause structure of monovalent verbal clauses NP-V-FIN.
> >
> > Furthermore, in TF, NP structure is of the form N-ADJ-CASE when an
> > adjective is present; a similar structure exists for single-verb
> > relative clauses: N-REL_V-CASE. The relative verb in the latter is
> > formed by inflecting the verb with suitable affixes to indicate that
> > it's a subordinate verb instead of the main verb.
> >
> > These two observations put together seems to imply that adjectives
> > behave almost exactly like monovalent verbs!
>
> This would not be at all unusual; Russian again provides the ANADEW,
> as actual honest-to-goodness past tense verbs (which conveniently have
> the same inflectional endings as predicate adjectives) are in fact
> historically derived from short-form predicate participles.

Really! Heh, I didn't know that. :) But it totally makes sense in
retrospect. The -0, -а, -ы endings *are* indeed shared between the two.
Why didn't I notice that before?!

> > What's more, my recent reanalysis of the TF lexicon for affixation
> > patterns shows that a significant number of adjectives are derived
> > by the adjectivising suffix -s/-as. Now, in predicative adjectival
> > statements (NP-ADJ-FIN) the NP is always in the CVY case. Given a
> > monovalent *verbal* clause where the NP is in the CVY case, the
> > subordinate form for the monovalent verb is ... guess what?
> > -s/-as/-satas when the verb is vowel-initial! So then an NP with
> > such a verb in a relative clause would be N-REL_V-CASE, where REL_V
> > has the essentially the same morphology as ADJ!
> >
> > This suggests that perhaps TF adjectives are equivalent to
> > monovalent verbs. Or at least, a good number of them can be regarded
> > as such.  It's a rather surprising conclusion, but certainly a very
> > compelling one!  In fact, it seems likely that perhaps in a
> > descendent lang these two word classes will completely merge, and
> > thus adjectives will *be* stative verbs then!
> >
> > (I did not plan for this coincidence to happen... but somehow,
> > subconciously, something must have made the equivalence, which shows
> > up as assigning essentially the same morphology between a good
> > number of adjectives and monovalent verbs. Talk about serendipity!)
>
> This of course causes one to wonder in which direction the convergence
> started out historically- did adjectives getting reanalyzed as verbs
> cause verbal inflections to change by analogy, in parallel to the
> evolution of modern Russian, or did adjectives getting used like verbs
> cause adjective inflections to change by analogy with an existing verb
> paradigm?
[...]

Hmm, that's a good question! Who knows, maybe adjectives in proto-TF
were *not* paired with finalizers? Perhaps that's a recent innovation
inspired by analogy with verbal clauses!

Many open minds should be closed for repairs. -- K5 user