CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Portamenteau as a derivational process

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:32:23 -0700

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:38:26AM -0700, Roger Mills wrote:
> BTW, apologies for not going further with my "field" investigation....
> Real Life and some bodily ailments got in the way. Bah.

No problem, the offer is still open if you wish to take it up sometime.
:) My TF informant is pretty easy-going about these sort of things. ;-)

> --- On Mon, 4/22/13, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> aisu    (finalizer) bleeding, bloodily. Used with the verb _hutakas_,
>     meaning to smite, strike with great force, give a beating.
>
> asai    (finalizer) reddeningly, of a crimson, bloody color. Used with
>     the adjective "red".
>
> saipia'    (masc. n.) spear (_pia'_ means pole or shaft, so this suggests
>     the derivation as "blood-shaft")
>
> saisu    (fem. n.) blood, internal bodily fluids.
>
> akaisu    (v) to bleed (_ak_ appears to derive from the postposition
>     _aka_, "out", "out from")
>
> RM: looks immediately like -su might mean "(in a) liquid (state)-- as
> indeed you point out later in the post.  (Coincidentally, /su/ is the
> combining form of Kash /sau/  (written "sawu") 'water' and does indeed
> mean 'liquid').

Yeah, -su is pretty consistent throughout. In fact, there's even _sumu'_
"well", probably _su_ + _mu'_ (hole), i.e., "water hole".

> suiri    (fem) a woman's hair
> sura    (fem) robe (traditional women's garment)
>
> RM There's that su- again: might womanly things be considered more
> "liquidy ~  flowing than male things??

It's certainly possible! This seems to correspond with _jukasu_ vs.
_sinasu_: blocky, chunky lava vs. smooth, ropy lava.

[...]
> keras    (masc) poisonous fruit
> ba'as    (fem) edible fruit
>
> baran    (masc) morning/day
> mubun    (fem) night
>
> RM nothing odd here-- le jour, la nuit, el dia, la noche etc. etc.

True.

> sinkan    (masc) the daytime sky
> panikan    (fem) the night sky
>
> RM but why aren't these more visibly related to the foregoing?

Well, I'm not sure where _sin-_ comes from, but _pani-_ seems to be
cognate with _panis_ "star" and _panei_ "the Milky Way". So _panikan_
seems to be something like "starry sky", or "the sky of stars".

> miri'    (masc) ice, frost
> miris    (fem) snow
>
> RM el hielo, la nieve etc

True.

> pasanan    (masc) town
> misanan    (fem) village
>
> RM might pa- mean larger, or mi- mean smaller???

Hmm. I couldn't find any obvious cognates, but a remote possibility
might be _paan_ [pa:n] "wide", "expansive", "grand". Didn't find any
obvious cognates of _mi_ either, but perhaps _mihat_ "to meet, to gather
together"?

Seems to be on rather shaky ground, but assuming these aren't just
coincidences, the historical construction may have been:

pasanan < paa(n) "grand" + san "person" + an (nominalizer)
misanan < mi(hat) "to meet together" + san "person" + an (nominalizer)

I.e. the assembling together of people = village; a wide, expansive
[area/meeting] of people = town.

> batsiu    insect; masc. for large insects, fem. for small insects
>
> So maybe the san faran just like categorizing things this way. I'll have
> to prod my informant for more explanations. ;-)
>
> RM I'm not sure such things are amenable to analysis, even by a
> linguistically savvy informants. "That's just the way we say it..."

True. Plus, you may just get a folk etymology which may or may not have
any basis in fact. :) (I remember making a fool of myself trying to
explain the Hokkien term for mainland China /tŋ sũa/ as "long mountain",
due to the homophonous /tŋ/ "long", but the *real* etymology is "Tang
mountain" (i.e. of the Tang dynasty)).

> True. I sorta modelled many aspects of TF after the Austronesian
> languages, where reduplication appears to be a common trait; so
> proto-TF having multiple reduplication processes is well within my
> desired language parameters. :)
>
> RM true dat. YOu can have full reduplication (pluralizing mainly, but
> also to give a sense of "something like (base)"; partial redup (1st
> syllable usually); Kash also allowed final syll. redup.

That's interesting. I haven't really heard of any langs with final syll.
reduplication.

In TF, the reduplicated stem gets reduced in some ways (long vowels get
shortened, final consonants get dropped, etc.), with the original stem
appearing last and always bearing the accent:

baasa ['ba:sa] "large" -> basa-baasa [basa'ba:sa] "very large"
(the vowel in the 2nd syll. is phonemically /a:/ reduced to /a/, but
pronounced very laxly, like [V] or even [@] in practice).

tsat ['ts)at] "fast" -> tsa-tsat [ts)a'ts)at] "very fast".
(the final /t/ is dropped in the reduplicated stem)

tihai ['tihaj] "old" -> tiha-tihai [tiha'tihaj] "very old"
(/ai/ reduced to /a/ in the redup stem)

I wonder if a hypothetical initial-stressed redup might have given rise
to final syll. redup within TF phonotactics, maybe like:

	baasa > *baasa-basa > *baasa-sa

This doesn't really work in TF, though, 'cos the modifier-final word
order seems to prefer initial redup for prosodic reasons: an NP with an
adjective has the form N - ADJ - CASE, and the case marker is (almost)
always unstressed, and usually that means ADJ is stressed. Furthermore,
between ADJ and CASE one can insert a demonstrative, which is also
usually unstressed. Since TF is pitch-accented, that means the stressed
syllable of ADJ is high-pitched, and everything that follows must be in
descending pitch. That's a lot of syllables to cram into a descending
pitch contour if ADJ starts having tail-redup. :)

	buta'   baasa  fi- sei
	[bu"ta? 'ba:sa fi  sej]
	hut     big    DEM CVY:FEM
	That big hut

	(The secondary stress on _buta'_ is a bit crammed, and probably
	realized as mid-pitch as opposed to the usual high pitch.)

	buta'   basa~baasa fi- sei
	[bu"ta? basV'ba:sa fi  sej]
	hut     very~big   DEM CVY:FEM
	That very big hut

	(Having the redup stem in front allows room for secondary stress
	on _buta'_; it can be mid-high or even high pitch, followed by
	low-pitched _basa~_, followed by another high pitch peak on
	/ba:/, then trailing off to the end of the NP.)

	*buta'    baasa~basa fi- sei
	*[buta?   'ba:sabasV fi  sej]
	hut      *big~very   DEM CVY:FEM

	(5 syllables to squeeze into a falling pitch contour after /ba:/
	-- seems a bit of a stretch)

Prosody is one of those things that I really like about TF (even though
I do still need to iron out quite a few wrinkles). It gives it a
recognizable, characteristic flavor that was absent from Ebisédian where
grammar dominates over prosody. Recently, I even discovered that TF
prosody appears to be based on an alternating stressed/unstressed scheme
that starts counting from the *end* of a clause, which causes certain
clause structures to prefer a certain order to NPs so that key NPs
receive emphasis over peripheral NPs. That was a very happy discovery;
it gives a naturalistic ordering of utterances rather than just a
generic anything-goes "it can be in any order 'cos the grammar says so"
deal. Even natlangs with "free" word order, like Russian, seems to
gravitate toward a certain default order that gives it a characteristic
flavor. Switching that default order (which is allowed by grammar) tends
to give it an overt change in emphasis that can convey drama, irony,
etc..

> There are some decidedly non-IE adverbs, though, among which are what
> I call "adverbs of manner". These are verb modifiers that serve that
> function of what in English requires an auxiliary verb construction;
> for example:
>
>     tapa    ha         buara   na!
>     walk(V) start(ADV) volcano RCP:MASC
>     Start walking to the volcano!
>
> In the English translation, the main verb is "start" modified by
> "walking"; in TF, on the contrary, the main verb is "walk" and "start"
> is an adverb ("startingly"?). In the same vein:
>
>     tapa    bat       buara   na!
>     walk(V) stop(ADV) volcano RCP:MASC
>     Stop walking to the volcano!
>
> Quite a good number of constructions in English that requires an
> auxiliary verb are subsumed by adverbs-of-manner in TF:
>
>     arap       pera     beira sei.
>     pick_up(V) try(ADV) stone CVY:FEM
>     Try to pick up the stone!
>
>     tsana   irei          maharan so.
>     talk(V) continue(ADV) story   CVY:NEUT
>     Continue to tell the story.
>
> RM but what does TF do when the "aux." is the main verb, as in an imperative:
>  Start now! Don't walk there! Do go on (continue)!  etc.???

The examples above are all imperatives, in fact. It seems impossible to
say something like "try!" without also specifying the action one is
supposed to try. So there's no (direct) analogue to English expressions
like "Can you at least try?" or "please stop!". In TF, you have to
specify what to try, and what needs to stop, since "try" and "stop" are
adverbs and can't stand on their own.

TF imperatives are indicated by verb-initial word order (and often
omitted finalizer), whereas indicatives are indicated by verb-second
order. So, for comparison, you have:

	tara' ka       tsana   irei          maharan so
	3SG   ORG:MASC talk(V) continue(ADV) story   CVY:NEUT
	He continues telling the story.

	tsana   irei          maharan so       aniin
	talk(V) continue(ADV) story   CVY:NEUT FIN
	Continue telling the story!

You can also make hortatives by including the 3SG pronoun in imperative
word order:

	tsana   irei          tara' ka       maharan so
	talk(V) continue(ADV) 3SG   ORG:MASC story   CVY:NEUT
	Let him continue telling the story!
	(Not in the sense of "allow him", but in the sense of a
	hortative, "he shall continue to tell the story".)

Finalizers are optional in imperatives, since an imperative may or may
not be obeyed, so the action may or may not be completed; but can be
included to indicate forcefulness (emphasize that the request action
*must* be completed).

	tsana   irei          maharan so       aniin!
	talk(V) continue(ADV) story   CVY:NEUT FIN
	Continue telling the story [to the end]!

> They form an interesting class, because they exhibit dialectal
> differences in TF. The san faran are divided into the northern tribes
> and the southern tribes, and there is a prominent volcano that roughly
> forms the boundary between north and south. So you have the adverb
> _buaranui_ (from _buara_ "volcano" + -n- [genitive?  ancient
> nominalizer?  something else?] + -ui), which to a Northerner means
> "southwards", but to a Southerner means "northwards". :)
>
> RM this happens in a lot of Austronesian lgs. as well, where
> "sea(wards)" can mean east, west, north, south depending on the
> island/region; same with "inland"; and others

Cool! Yet another Austronesian feature in TF. :-)

> What do y'all do when you rediscover old conlang notes that had been
> forgotten for many years, and find that it contradicts what you had
> subsequently developed in your conlang?
>
> RM I shake my head and go, whatever made me do that??? :-))))

Hehe... I guess in the case of that TF poem, I *could* potentially go
back and retcon it to conform to my updated vision of proto-TF. :)
That's the nice thing about conlanging: you get to work with
2-dimensional time (in-world time and out-of-world time, which need not
correspond linearly).

> Except in the case of Gwr, when I discovered several original forms
> that didnt comply with the rules I eventually formulated...........In
> that case, don't repaid, create anew....

Or you could leave them as irreducibly irregular forms inherited from
who-knows-when. Like English strong verbs that still retain PIE ablaut,
or calcified expressions that no longer follow contemporary grammar
rules.

On Mon, Apr 22, 2013 at 07:41:04AM -0700, Roger Mills wrote:
> Afterthought:
>
> Some of the "finalizers" look a bit like old serial verb
> constructions.

Well, that could be an artifact of my poor glossing. :-P

But, it's an interesting thought. What if proto-TF actually had serial
verb constructions? It will have some interesting consequences, for
sure. Hmmm... I'll have to think about that a bit more!

Computerese Irregular Verb Conjugation: I have preferences.  You have
biases.  He/She has prejudices. -- Gene Wirchenko