CONLANG  April 2013, Week 4

CONLANG April 2013, Week 4

Re: Game Mechanics Help: Metalinguistics

Jasyn Jones <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:56:27 -0600

Garth Wallace wrote:

> Well, you can also incorporate Foundation-style psychohistory.

I have elements of that in the chart: predictive sociology. (I need a
better name, but that's what I'm using for now.)

15 - Actuarial processes grow more comprehensive and accurate, leading
to a highly refined body of information about personal and societal
behavior. This leads to advances in psychology, sociology, economics,
communication studies, and other social science endeavors.

16 - Greater understanding of the evolutionary pressures that affect
societies allows sociologists to mathematically model how social norms
interact with other variables (such as climate, geography, technology,
etc.) to cause the growth and death of cultures. The first laws of
social development can be propounded. Sociology improves in scope and
accuracy. Cultural maladies (norms that threaten cultural survival) can
now be identified and diagnosed.

17 - A comprehensive, integrated science of human behavior is possible,
unifying psychology and sociology. The affects of individual psychology
on social norms (and vice versa) can now be accurately modeled
mathematically. By altering individual behavior, predictable changes in
society can be effected.

18 - Predictive sociology now becomes possible, sociologists can predict
the future behavior of masses of individuals with great precision. This
ability is limited by the amount of information that can be ascertained
about the population. Such predictions are usually reliable in the short
term (within a few days), however long term predictions are much less
reliable.

19 - Predictive sociology increase in reliability. The behavior of a
population over a few months or a year can be reliably predicted.

20 - The behavior of whole populations can be predicted for years in
advance.

> The
> ability to predict how other societies will behave can be a major
> diplomatic advantage.

Indeed.

> It strikes me, though, that the main "weakness"
> of your Social stat is essentially the same one that leads to Charisma
> being treated as a "dump stat" in many RPGs: when the plot revolves
> around casting bigger and badder Magic Missiles at bigger and badder
> monsters, talking things out (in any language) gets short shrift.

Social tools are less immediately effective than technology or reliable
magic. They require lateral thinking to apply effectively. Even so,
"waking hypnosis"   the ability to edit people's attitudes and
behaviors, just by talking to them (an "18" tool)  is even more
effective in the long run than a big gun. Kill an enemy, and he's gone.
Convince one to join your side, and he's another ally.

The goal isn't to provide directly appliable tools, but to devise
abilities that are thematic (psychological, sociological, linguistic,
mathematic, etc) and useful. "Cool but not killer" is sort of the
guideline. (Though, waking hypnosis could be used to convince someone to
suicide themselves. Urk. Hadn't thought of that before.)

> Also, language barriers tend to get handwaved away (the "universal
> translator" is really just a formal excuse for this) because they get
> in the way of story movement. So in practice,
> metalinguistics-as-universal-translator may not be a major advantage

That's something I tried to address in a section on GM advice. The game
is globe-hopping, to many different places with many different
languages. Language differences are kind of annoying obstacles (a
drawback in a game, unless done right), but they help make
metalinguistics a useful ability.

Matthew George wrote:

> I'm not very sanguine about the possibility of there being non-trivial
> basic principles common to all possible languages.  Physics/mathematics is
> our best bet for universal truths, but not even that is certain.

I have no official position on this, vis a vis the Real World, but I can
assume this is the case, for the sake of the game setting. And, it being
my setting, can deem it to be so. (The Real World is not so obliging.)

In any case, metalinguistics only arises after people develop a science
of psychology so advanced that it can accurately model all possible
forms of mentation  no matter what a species thinks, or how they think,
this society can produce a set of models which describe it.

Knowing how people think gives you a leg up on knowing how they
communicate. And knowing how *all* people can think gives you a leg up on
knowing how all people can communicate. (Or so I assert, for these
purposes.)

George Corley wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 23, 2013 at 7:28 PM, Chris Peters <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

>> Agreed.  Lots of scientific conventions suggest that Prime Numbers might
>> be a good "initial exchange" to prove mutual intelligence between the two
>> parties.  "Contact" showed a fictional example of that standard.
>>
>> But then, I recall reading a Science Fiction novel by Greg Bear ("Anvil of
>> Stars"), which featured an alien race called "The Brothers".  Due to the
>> nature of their neurological wiring, "basic math" for them is related to
>> statistics and bell curves.  Discrete counting (and therefore the concept
>> of prime numbers) was counterintuitive to them.
>>
>> Just an example off the top of my head.
>
> There is evidence to suggest that humans naturally perceive quantities in
> terms of a logarithmic scale, and only learn to understand them on a linear
> scale when they learn their language's numeral system.

That's a really interesting line of inquiry. I'd love to skip ahead 20
years and see what the fruits of that would be. It would certainly
explain things like the Durkheim Constant, the decibel scale, and
"message resistance". (How people become inured to ever-more targeted
social messaging, like advertisements. Sort of analogous to "drug
resistant bacteria". As the level of messaging in a society increases,
it takes a bigger difference to make a difference.)
- -
Jasyn Jones

"To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
"Ulysses" by Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Jasyn's House of Gaming:
daddywarpig.wordpress.com

Storm Knights, my Torg webpage: