CONLANG  May 2013, Week 3

CONLANG May 2013, Week 3

Re: Conaccents.

Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 May 2013 08:34:03 -0300

2013/5/11 Nina-Kristine Johnson <[log in to unmask]>:
> "Nice! And is your conlang spoken with different accents in your
> conworld (if you have one)?"--Leonardo
>
> Well by* World* you mean like Tolkien, fantasy-stuff...no.
>
> But I am making a low-budget, YouTube movie in this language (I'm a total
> amateur!). I have some scenes filmed, already and its going well.
>
> The *World* in this movie is present-day Earth and it plays with "What if
> English was not the dominate language?" (Ehenív takes the place of
> English--English is a minority language).
>
> Yes, I have a bit of a superiority complex. LOL

:-)
I think there's no problem in creating a fictional language that will
conquer the world. Some others have already done it too, haven't they?

> Cheers!,
> N. Kristine
---

> On 11 May 2013 08:33, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> If there are two NPs following the verb, the prosody changes again:
>>
>>         tara'  sa  tapa buta' kei misanan dei bata.
>>         tara'  sa  tapa buta' kei misanan nei bata.
>>         3SG    CVY walk hut   ORG village RCP FIN
>>         [tâ4a? sā  tapà butá? keī misânan dej bata]
>>         He is walking from the hut to the village.
>>
>> There's a feature here I don't quite know how to represent in the IPA:
>> the high pitch in the NP _misanan dei_ is pronounced higher than in the
>> NP _buta' kei_. One might say that this sentence has 3 peaks: at the
>> beginning of the sentence with the first NP, falling into a valley at
>> the verb _tapa_, then rising to a (lower) peak in _buta' kei_, then to a
>> higher peak in _misanan dei_, then falling back to a low-pitch valley in
>> the finalizer _bata_.
>>
>> Interestingly enough -- and this is what I've only recently noticed --
>> this prosodic contour means that the NP immediately before the finalizer
>> receives more stress than the NP preceding it, which makes it more
>> preferable to place an NP you want to emphasize in that position. So in
>> the example above, "to the village" is emphasized; if we were to swap
>> the two NPs following the verb, then it would be "from the hut" that
>> would be emphasized. This would be the more unusual word order, since
>> generally speaking, one would tend to emphasize the destination of an
>> action more than its origin. IOW, prosody in TF has an effect on word
>> order preference! I was quite happy to discover this emergent effect.

Interesting! Do you think there's something similar to this in natlangs?

---

BTW, by "conaccent" I mean also accents created to speak natlangs,
including one's own native language. For instance, my sister has
conciously changed some features of her Brazilian Portuguese
pronunciation that she disliked, although everybody around her spoke
that way. In her (and my) native accent, there's an intrusive /i/ in
words like "mas" and "três" _ [mais] and [treis] _ but she now
pronounces them as [mas] and [tres]. It's maybe more a matter of
influence of orthography/origin than pronunciation prestige, because
the most widely-broadcast accent (Rio de Janeiro) has [maiS] and
[treiS].