CONLANG  June 2013, Week 1

CONLANG June 2013, Week 1

My conlang DO NOT READ WITHOUT UNICODE

Jack Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Jun 2013 14:09:14 -0700

 From Dutch I have used most words and grammar, and the English number
system  has been relexed from Dutch. This means in my micronation's
conlang (Evidun), you see numbers like een honderd (which in Dutch is
not grammatically correct, nor is the Evidun twinti? een.
I aim to make this weird thing partly agglutivative (not like it already
is from the Dutch adjectivenoun combination situation).

HERE GOES:

CONLANGING

In this edition, 'Nieuwe nederlants' -- one Brits laugh while trying to
learn (and reform) Dutch.

Hello, 'Ik heet Jack' and I am very bored trying to learn a language in
between English and German. Worse, I know very little Dutch as it is and
already can introduce myself. If you are a conlanger, dive in! If you
are insulted by me fiddling with Dutch, please do not read.

Hallo, ik heet Jack en ik ben erg verveeld proberen om een taal tussen
Engels en Duits te leren. Erger nog, ik weet heel weinig Nederlanders
zoals het is en nu al kan me even voorstellen. Als je een spraak
bouwopzichter, duiken in! Als u beledigd door mij gehannes met
Nederlanders, alstublieft niet gelezen.

*SPELLING REFORM (alternative orthography)*

There is trouble in Dutch, more so than in English.

Why does W represent V? Get used to it. It's staying in my spelling
reform (along with pronunciation reforms, known as /nieuwe nederlants/).
I hate it, but it's staying.

DUIZEND is spelled wrong in this alternative orthography. It should be
'Dauzend'.

So ui becomes au. (au like ou in ouch but starting at a as in art rather
than a as in at).

Goede morgen (good morning) is pronounced Ghoede morghen. And to me that
is weird. See more in the next section.

About stress marks: These do not exist in Dutch AFAIK, but since some
words sound better with the wrong stress/intonation, the grave accent is
used for stress marking: 'intersserend' (in-ter-RES-er-ent)

I SEE NO REASON for G to represent a voiced 'kh'.

A normal conversation between me and a Dutchman would start with me
saying: 'Hallo, ik ben Jack Johnson. Spreekt jij Engels?'. In my
conlang, nieuwe nederlants, that same starter would go 'Hullo, ik ben
Jack Johnson. Sprkt j Engels?' (in that sentence,  is used instead of
ij to represent the same thing. In my conlang, which has two names, the
Dutch Nieuwe Nederlands, and the English Evidun, an accent like this:
represents what doubling the letter did in Oude nederlandse.

And 'Nieuwe' is just too fumbly to type. So in my spelling reform idea,
Nieuw is spelled with no W. This makes it easier to type. Try typing
Nieuw and then type Nieu. Simpler, eh? So no silent W's anymore.

WHAT I THINK I LEARNED FROM THE FAIL OF LEARNING DE NEDERLANDSE TAAL:
that Morgan (the English name) comes from the same root as morning (the
time of day from 4 AM to 1 PM to me (-: )

Goedemorgen also has a problem. It's the oe. But I don't care.I don't
want this to be the English orthography applied to Dutch. (That would be
gruesome (which is griezelig, among other words, in Dutch))

And that brings us to griezelig. It seems to be cognate to grisly.

I have repurposed  for the digraph 'ie'.  is non existent in the old
orthography. This makes griezelig a less grisly grzelig. But for the
voiced kh as I described it, g^ should be used. So so far we have
G^oedemorg^en, and g^rzelig^.

Lucht is unusual. X exists as ks in oudenederlandse, so in Evidun, I
will use a h-bar ? for kh. So in weird uppercase lu?tma?t recruitment
signs, it will be something to the effect of JOIN THE LU?TMA?T

or something like that. H-bar can also be used for g^, so be aware of
context, and always use g^ for the voiced-? sound whenever possible.

So the Evidun alphabet goes:

Aa Bb Cc Dd Ee Ff Gg G^g^ Hh ?? Ii IJ Jj Kk Ll Mm Nn Oo Pp Qq Rr Ss Tt
Uu Vv Ww Xx Yy Y" Zz

Note IJ and Y" mean same thing and share the lowercase letter. Not
counting IJ, the total number of letters in the Evidun alphabet is: 29,
more than in either English or Dutch (the latter of which this language
is based on)

*PRONUNCIATION REFORM*

Hats off, G for g^rt (EN big), because some Gs in this new conlang of
mine are now g as in the English gone.

At the end of words, g^ becomes this new g. So g^oed vr j to Dutchmen
who agree with my reforms (which essentially make a new language
recognisable to the Dutch as a mix of both English and Dutch), and tot
ziens to those who do not. And since goed is cognate to English good, it
is more logically pronounced the same way (ish).

The E's that end some words can be silent in this new conlang, but the E
joining goed and morgen in goedemorgen becomes a schwa, as such not
silent. In this conlang, the Dutch Z stays put for where it's a zett and
not an ess. So the old 'tot ziens' is now 'tot zns'. Awkward eh?

And the G^ is nigh-nonexistent in Evidun (Evidun: /Nieuenederlands, of
Evidn/)

Oe becomes  as in Danish 'smr' (butter). Let's just say that
goedemorgen sounds like gerdmorgan with a rounded but otherwise British
'er'.

'Het' must be pronounced with an obvious H at the beginning, but not an
? (letter name ekh), because that is taking it too far.

*LANGUAGE REFORMS IN GENERAL*

There are now no grammatical genders. So 'het' becomes like English
'it', and de is *the*definite article for everything. So 'het potld'
becomes 'de potld'. And 'het is n m dag vandg' (het is een mooie
dag vandaag -- it is a fine day today) has 'it' as the first word rather
than neuter 'the'.

'Of' as in Dutch carries over to Evidun (Evidun: /Evidn, /IPA
/?v?don/), so it is equivalent to English 'or'.

The g-hardening does not apply to -dag words (dag^, mndag dinsdag^,
woensdag^, donderdag^, vrdag^, saterdag^, sondag^)

Sj is a 'sya' and Sz (formerly nothing) is a sh. Dz is a G as in George.

A w' is a vowel-"dubbelv" (English W as in water)

/Is het Evidn of Nieuenederlandse? Dit is de vrg!/

/Heb n goede dag^!/

*Weird made up words - Bizar geconstrueerde woorden -- Bizar
geconstrurde wrden*

(I am) interested -- (Ik heb) de dacht van het uur -- (Ik heb) de da?t
van de uur

*GRAMMAR ISSUES*

There are many grammatical differences between Dutch and Evidun. Evidun
has no grammatical gender, so Dutch common and neuter ("de"- en
"het"-woorden) are out the window.

*GRAMMATICAL TERM ISSUES*

'Naamwoords' stay as such (nouns), but an independent noun (a noun that
stands freely in a sentence, like the word sentence) is called a
'bevrdnmwrd' (freed nameword) rather than 'zelfstandig naamwoord'

A tag-on noun (an adjective) is called 'kleverigenmwrd' (sticky
nameword) rather than what the Dutch call it.

*LINGUISTIC CLASSIFICATION*

Both of:

Indo-European

        Germanic

          +

            West Germanic

              #

                Low Franconian

                  *

                    Nederlandish (Dutch)

                        Evidun (most words come from here)

and

Indo-European

        Germanic

          +

            West Germanic

              #

                Anglo-Frisian

                  *

                    Anglic

                        English

                          +

                            Evidun (the numbering structure specifically)

Condensed:

Indo-European, Germanic, West Germanic, Low Franconian, Nederlandish,
the lexicon of Evidun

DITTO until 3rd comma, Anglo-Frisian, Anglic, English, numbering
structure of Evidun as described in de nummerboek.

Now what follows is an English-Dutch-Evidun-Backtranslation phrasebook
(things I need to know). This should not be in print, but it is
available online at: (link here). (STOP PRESS NOW) If this is printed,
contact your publisher and make them mark future copies of this essay
'unabridged'.

To be or not to be. That is the question. (Shakespeare)-Zijn of niet te
zijn. Dat is de vraag. (Sheekspier)-Zn of niet zn. Dit is de vrg.
(Shkspr)

Hello, my name is Jack Johnson, I am 13 years old, and I live in Prince
George - Hallo, ik heet Jack Johnson, ik ben 13 jaar oud, en ik woon in
Prince George, British Colombia, Canada. - Hallo, ik ht Dzack
Dzonson, ik ben 13 jr oud, en ik wn in Prins Jurg^en, Brits-Columbia,
Canada.

I am bored. - Ik verveel me. -- Ik emm vervl.

It is abundantly clear - I am mistaken. / Het is overduidelijk -- Ik
vergis me. / Het is overdaudelk -- Ik an vergis

I should not be constructing languages at this time of day. - Ik mag
niet, in deze tijd van de dag, worden uitvinden talen -- Ik mag^ nt, in
deze td van de dag^, worden autvinden talen. - I may not, at this tide
of day, be inventing ways of talking.

Is it confusing? - Is het verwarrend? -- Is het verwarrend?

Good afternoon -- Goedemiddag -- Goede a?ternoen

Good evening -- Goedenavond -- Goede navond