CONLANG  June 2013, Week 4

CONLANG June 2013, Week 4

Re: Hello, and language sketch.

Aodhán Aannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jun 2013 17:31:35 -0500

On 6/25/2013 4:03 PM, James Kane wrote:
> So the consonant written <r> is a flap? And /x/ is written <kh>? This seems very cool although there's quite a lot to take in, maybe a few example sentences with gloss outlining the principle features would help.

Yes, and yes. And thank you ^_^ As for glosses, that's probably a good
idea. I'll add a few here.

/roy-r-kyag sya-Ø ne-twa
see-NEG-POTENTIAL 2-ABS 1-BEN
/'I can't see you.'

/puyag Yompan-na-se le-saw-Ø/
/be.acquainted.with Yompan-CATEG-ATT person/-/3/-/ABS/
'[I] know three people from Yompan.'

/sayma-soy-si//-rod
sea-ALL-COP-STREXP
/'Surely [he] must be on [his] way to the sea!'

/ma-geg-mig//-si-mul //than/-/wos//(-//mig)/
/place-NEARDEM-INESS-COP-NECESS/ /time-Q(-INESS)
/'When do [you] need to be here?'
(explicit marking of things that are clearly adverbs probably ought to
be optional, and so it is here.)

/el-ob-kol //le-mo-fye-dawf-ag-Ø
good-enough-PERF person-8-2-none-next-ABS
/'None of the last 16 men have been good enough.'
(haven't decided on negative concord or whatever - this could end up as
/elobkol lemofyedawfag, elobirkol lemofyedawfag, /or /elobirkol
lemofyetwegag/ (dropping the 'none' affix and just using 'not all'))

/ek sya-y le-Ø //udad-kol-ti-Ø, ek-ir=pew udad-kol-se le-wos-Ø
know 2-ERG person-ABS kill-PERF-NOM-ABS, know-NEG=but kill-PERF-ATT
person-Q-ABS
/'[I] know you killed a man, but I don't know who you killed.'
(the first clause on its own could also be interpreted as 'I know you
killed him/her.')

>  From what I can tell I like the way the -se affix works although I'm not sure I quite understand it, and when the change in word order happens in relative clauses.
Here's an example, I hope it makes things clear:

/nyag-okh ne-y man-Ø
eat-PROG 1-ERG food-ABS
/'I'm eating (some) food.'
vs.
/katrari ne-y nyag-okh-se man-Ø
//burn 1-ERG //eat-PROG-ATT food-ABS
/'The food I'm eating is on fire.'

It works basically like in Middle Japanese, though MJ doesn't change any
word order:
/
ware ga tabyemono wo tab-u/
/1 SUBJ food OBJ eat/
'I'm eating (some) food.'
vs.
/ware no tab-uru tabyemono ga moy-u/
/1 SUBJ eat-RENTAIKEI //food SUBJ burn/
'The food I'm eating is on fire.'
(the rentaikei is Japanese's version of an attributive suffix, and the
subject particle changes for relative clauses.)

> Your condialects project sounds very exciting and I would be interested to have a small peak, although I know almost nothing about Japanese (indeed, I know more about Okinawan)
I'll post a thing about it when I have time, then. Odd to see someone
who knows more about Okinawan than Japanese :P

(I know most Ryukyuan languages have an animacy hierarchy distinction on
subject/genitive particles - does Okinawan do that too?)