CONLANG  June 2013, Week 4

CONLANG June 2013, Week 4

Re: Hello, and language sketch.

Aodhán Aannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Jun 2013 23:23:13 -0500

On 6/25/2013 9:47 PM, James Kane wrote:
> Okay so looking through these examples, is the -se suffix similar to Chinese 的? Are adjectives similar to Chinese adjectives in that they behave more like verbs? This seems to be the case with the possessive pronouns, where 'my cat' looks more like 'the.cat_which_is.mine'.
I'm not that familiar with Chinese, but from my knowledge, that's about
how it works. 的 after nouns though corresponds to two morphemes
(POSS+ATT), and you can use POSS as just a verb (e.g. /ne-na-thas
nyawa-Ø, //1-POSS-SUGGEST cat-ABS/ 'the cat should be mine').

> Anyway, when I said I knew more Okinawan than Japanese I was comparing a minuscule amount of knowledge of one with an even more minuscule amount of knowledge of the other.
>
> There is an animacy distinction but I'm not sure how far it extends. I don't think it's in the case particles. It is however in the verb to have, wun is animate and an is inanimate. In contrast, yan is to be for any subjects.
Yeah, Japanese does the same thing (iru/oru for 'to exist (of an animate
subject)' and aru for 'to exist (of an inanimate subject)', but that's
about as far as it goes.
Other Ryukyuan languages have a really weird setup with case particles,
e.g. Yuwan (from Amami), where both ga and nu can mark both subject and
genitive, but ga is for higher-animacy subjects and nu is for lower, and
the threshold is different when they're used as subject vs. genitive -
ga is genitive with demonstratives and respected kinship terms, nu is
the rest; ga is subject for demonstratives, respected kinship terms and
human names are zero-marked, and nu is the rest. Yeah.