CONLANG  June 2013, Week 5

CONLANG June 2013, Week 5

Re: Hello, and language sketch.

Aodhán Aannestad <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 30 Jun 2013 17:57:16 -0500

On 6/30/2013 12:57 AM, Alex Fink wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jun 2013 23:28:43 -0500, Aodhán Aannestad <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Hello! I'm a longtime lurker, finally deciding to get involved a little.
>> Some of you may have met me at the last LCC, I'm with UT Austin's
>> conlang club and I drove some people around.
> 'Twas good to meet / bum rides off you there.
>
>> Anyway, on to the language. It doesn't have a name yet, sadly - I'm
>> using it for a protolang for a large project, and since said large
>> project has yet to really begin, it's not really in a state where I can
>> really name anything. (I suppose I could come up with an endonym for it
>> - it'd be something like 'Lesuy' (/lesuj/, /person-speak/) or something,
>> though that doesn't sound that great to my ears.)
> Eh, I'm in no rush to give my projects endonyms; I give them codenames or descriptive English names until then.  And anyway, endonyms are often non-transparently formed, especially in areas with lots of cross-cultural interaction, in deriving from place names or tribal names or calqued or borrowed exonyms or whatnot; so if you don't like /lesuj/ it's hardly forced on you.
Yeah, that was my reasoning behind not bothering yet. It'll have one
eventually.

>> Affixes have no
>> shape target - anything from V to a maximal syllable is in theory
>> permitted.
> This is kinda odd, unless the affixing is all really new.  (I suppose that what I'm calling "really new" could actually èxternally be "well, I have to start sòmewhere with a pre*-proto-language to have something to run diachronics on").
That's about where it stands at the moment :P

> What's the realisation of stress?  If unstressed syllables are weakerly articulated in whatever way, then weaker syllables could start to lose some of the complexity of their syllable structure (especially monophthongisation, but also cluster simplification &c), which could help set up a more canonical affix shape down the line, and as a bonus potentially yield fun morphophonology.
I'd only really thought about unstressed syllables having reduced
vowels, but I very much like this idea - somehow reducing unstressed
syllables (or at least affixes) down to simply CV or CVC max. Stress is
right-oriented, though, which could serve to create some weird
irregularities.

I'm honestly a bit worried about having extremely unpredictable
morphophonology, but we'll see what happens. Hopefully I can figure out
some nice ways to level things out.

>> any sequences of two identical vowels
>> are shrunk into one (e.g. /emnira/, 'girl', from /emni/ 'woman' + /ira/
>> 'child'). /i/ and /u/ become glides when adjacent to other vowels (e.g.
>> /dorayra/ 'boy', from /dora /'man' + /ira/).
> To ask after pedantic completeness: what happens when two different nonhigh vowels meet?  When an /i/ and a /u/ meet, which one glides?
Onglides are preferred over offglides, so whichever one's first (/ui/ >
[wi], /iu/ > [ju])

>> Word order is VSO when there's no
>> overt complementiser, and SOV when there is (so /fikol le/ 'the man has
>> gone', but /le/ /fikolti/ 'the fact that the man has gone').
> The /-ti/ is the overt complementiser in there?
Yeah.

>> Verbs don't care about person, number, or tense, but there are 5 or 7
>> aspect markers (perfective/stative (null-marked), progressive, perfect,
>> expective, intentive(?), and hortative and imperative if you count them
>> - they're mutually exclusive with aspect).
> Does whether the null-marked aspect is perfective or stative depend on like Aktionsart or some kind of inherent aspect of the verb, or is there something weirder going on here?  And then, if there are verb classes, are there any interesting semantic properties of the marked aspects?  e.g. often (afaik) inherently stative verbs automatically become inceptives or whatnot when used in a (marked) perfective.
Verbs are inherently either static or dynamic, and aspects tend to
change what they imply with each class - so progressive with dynamics is
progressive (i.e. ongoing action), but with statics it means that the
state is temporary; perfect with dynamics is perfect (i.e. completed
action), but with statics it's basically just past tense (i.e. the state
is no longer the case), etc. Null-marked dynamics are
perfective/inceptive, but null-marked statics are stative (though either
can be gnomic, and null-marked dynamics can be habitual also).

>> The only obligatory marking on nouns is case, but there's a number of
>> other potential affixes. Number is especially complex -
> Does the below imply that plain old number marking of the singular vs. plural sort, lacking specificity in the quantity and lacking a larger quantity of which it's a part, is not found?
Yeah, at least as things stand at the moment - if you don't know or
don't care how many, you just leave it unmarked. Multiples of 4 and 8
are also often used for estimates (c.f. English 'there's a hundred
people here' when there's really 118).

>> specific
>> quantities are marked directly on the noun (so/lemofyethon/ 'twenty
>> people', it's base-8 so that breaks down as /le-mo-fye-thon/
>> 'person-8-2-4' for (2*8)+4 people), and there are also suffixes for
>> 'more than half (of a group)', 'less than half (of a group)',
> Really so specifically 'more / less than half', as opposed to 'relatively many (of a group)', 'relatively few (of a group)'?  That precision seems unlikely to me.
Yeah, it's a bit more fuzzy than that - the idea is 'most' vs. 'a few'.

>> 'part (of
>> a unit)', and 'all (of a unit)'. These can be augmented by 'all' or
>> 'none', and further by 'the next' or 'the previous' (allowing for very
>> long sequences such as /lemofyethondawfag /'none of the last twenty
>> people').
> Very long single words arising from numbers seem to me to be one of those things which conlangers are prone to do but natlangs aren't.  I don't know any direct data.  But one natlang that hàs done this for two digit numbers is Hindi, and the result is that in the modern form all kinds of sandhi goes on and the system is kinda tricky to learn.
>    https://en.wikibooks.org/w/index.php?title=Hindi/Numbers
> But not many languages have a Hindi-type system.  And effects of analogy notwithstanding, my feeling is that this probably means that systems of two-digit numbers mostly don't behave like single words cross-linguistically.
>
> Information density is probably not a very good way to get at questions of synchronic wordhood, but it is at least true that grammaticalisation, including univerbation, is characteristic of regions of relatively lower information density, whereas spelling out the digits of a long number in which precision is important intrinsically has relatively high information density.  Maybe a more relevant fact is the way people reading telephone numbers and the like tend to give them structureful and nonhomogeneous prosody.
So hm - would a numerical classifiers system like
Japanese/Chinese/Korean work better for this language, do you think? I
know for Old Japanese's version of the Japanese native counting system
you had to jump through hoops to specify values between tens (e.g.
mis@ka 'thirty days',  mis@ka (a)mari k@k@n@ka 'thirty-nine days', lit.
'thirty days remainder nine days') - would you expect something with a
similar structure to occur here?

>> there's two kinds of
>> genitives, possessive and categorical (for things like 'men of that
>> village', 'the strength of an ox', 'a sword of bronze' and so on), both
>> of which form verbs (so//'the man's cat' has to be /lenase nyawa/ with
>> -/se/, not */lena nyawa/ - /lena nyawa /is grammatical, but it would be
>> heard as 'the cat is the man's').
> This is funny.  Leaving aside the use of the label "case", what we have here are two operations which build verbs on nouns.
> Now, ttbomk, it is a strong tendency that derivational or compounding operations tend to impose indefinite / nonspecific / nonreferential interpretations on their bases.  For example, take Mithun's hierarchy of types of noun incorporation (e.g. <www.stanford.edu/~tylers/notes/morphosyntax/Mithun_1984_notes.pdf‎>): the more straightforward types I (and II?) tend to name "unitary activities", like 'birdwatching'; "as you have a unitary activity, the N loses its salience (Mithun 1984: 849)"; the way the other types III and IV develop on this is by running with this nonsalience.
> On the other hand, possessives at least are most prototypically used with completely definite referential nouns, like SAP pronouns and proper names and stuff; this is totally the opposite of what derivational etc. operations tend to do.  Funny.  (For the categorical, it doesn't seem so bad to me.)
>
> Of course, if you were to have these verbs, their relativised uses for usual noun-modifying-a-noun relations is perfectly natural.
>
> Ah, hm, maybe this isn't a problem if these "cases" are regarded as _clitic_ verbs, which just can't occur phonologically free and have to lean on a noun to their left for whatever reason.  The copular /-si/ might then permit the same analysis.  I suppose that if you don't go with this cliticky kind of thing, the same nonspecificity motivations might motivate a language like this to keep /-si/ for membership in a class ('Gilbert is a farmer') and use a different mechanism for identity ('the morning star is the evening star', 'the murderer is the butler').
The clitic analysis seems to make sense (and it seems to work
structurally, too, at least if I'm remembering right the syntax trees I
drew ages ago). That is a direction for diachronic change, though -
innovating a separate copular word for use with identity and merging the
clitic copula with the categorical (which is already phonetically
similar enough that that could happen through sound change alone).

>> Locative cases are the following: inessive and exessive (both used for
>> general locatives, inessive for being within the boundaries of a place,
>> exessive for being near but outside the boundaries of a place or
>> object), superessive and subessive, proessive ('in front of') and
>> postessive ('behind'), comitative, allative (also used as a dative) and
>> ablative (also used as the agent of causatives and volitives), illative
>> and ellative, superlative ('going over') and sublative ('going under'),
>> circumlative/circumessive, and adspective ('facing') and abspective
>> ('facing away from').
> Hm, no "general" locative then.  That isn't itself weird, but what would be weird is if the system were actually as tidy as presented here; for whatever reason, systems of oblique cases and adpositions seem to be very fertile grounds for subregularities and not-very-productive metaphors and other slightly odd usages to become collocatively fixed.
>
> What happens in your language with metaphorical uses of the locative cases -- how do the speakers apply these distinctions of whether things are inessively or exessively etc. "in" a condition or a situation, or a time, or a language, or so forth?
I'm sure there's a lot of depth here I haven't yet plumbed (especially
considering this ís an idealised pre-proto-language) - I probably
haven't done enough testing either to come up with good situations for
things like this. At the moment, I'm assuming that general descriptions
are almost always correct (e.g. something during an event would be
inessive, because it's within the boundaries of the event;  but
something around the time of an event would be exessive, because it's
not, etc.).

>> Non-locative cases are benefactive (also used for the experiencer with a
>> number of perception verbs - 'see' for example has a BEN subject when
>> you would expect ERG, and giving it an ERG subject changes the meaning
>> to 'look at'),
> Good.
>
>> instrumental, causative, and comparative.
> Comparative for standards of comparison, or something wackier?  And what does causative case do?
I'm still working through what the comparative should look like, and I'm
leaning towards a combination of standard-of-comparison and what I
understand 'essive' to mean (though I'm probably wrong - my
understanding is that essive is 'as' in sentences like 'I'm playing [a
strategy game] as France' or whatever'. This does require separate
comparative morphology on the verb (since when the verb's marked
comparative, the case would be interpreted as English 'than'; but when
the verb's not marked, it'd be interpreted as 'as' or maybe 'like'), and
it might be easier to do it where comparison isn't marked on the verb
and you just have to use the case marker (something like how Japanese
yori is used).

Causative is for reasons (something like 'because of'), but it may be
unnecessary - it looks just the same as the bare verb nominaliser
(/adverbialiser) that also marks cause. Either that or the bare verb
nominaliser should be dropped and verbs should need a normal nominaliser
for this (especially since purpose is NOM+BEN - cause might ought to be
NOM+CAUS instead of just CAUS as a nominaliser).

>> Copular constructions are formed by affixing the copular verbaliser
>> /-si/ to nouns - /dorasi le/ 'the person is a man'. This allows for a
>> somewhat idiosyncratic way to express motion - while it's perfectly
>> grammatical to say /fyokh ne sakhtasoy /(/go-PROG 1-ABS river-ALL,
>> /literally 'I am going to the river'), it's much more native-sounding to
>> say /sakhtasoysi ne/ (/river-ALL-COP 1-ABS, /literally 'I am to the river').
> I wonder what the pragmatic effects of using the 'go' verb are, then.  (Hm, maybe it foregrounds manner, and the verb you've glossed 'go' is instead more like 'walk'?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Verb_framing)
The verb is especially useful when leaving destination and direction
unspecified, though it pretty much ends up meaning 'leave' in cases like
that. More often than not, though, case+COP constructions refer to
someone or something being still in transit, and so the verb is required
when referring to a whole motion action.

A good example of the contrast might be:

fi-sif le-Ø sakhta-soy alla-ki
go-WEAKEXPECT person-ABS river-ALL day-FARDEM
'I bet he'll go to the river that day' - implying that he will set out
and arrive on the same day (so the river must be within a day's journey
of his starting location)
vs.
sahkta-soy-si-sif le-Ø alla-ki
river-ALL-COP-WEAKEXPECT person-ABS day-FARDEM
'I bet he'll be on his way to the river that day' - implying that his
journey is at least more than one day long, probably ending on a
different day than the one in question (though possibly still starting
on the same day); and pragmatically implying that some other action that
is occuring on that day besides simply journeying is the overall topic
of conversation - either he's doing something on the way, or someone
else is establishing a relative chronology of disparate events in their
head.

I imagine that if the people who spoke this had cellphones, they'd use
the case+COP construction when talking about whatever transit the phone
call is being made during.

This language is very much more satellite-framing most of the time,
since you can productively use case endings on verb roots to make
compound verbs (so you can have go+ABL = 'leave', go+SUPERESS = 'ride', etc)

>> There are also two generic verbs, meaning something like 'to do (it)'
>> and 'to go (there)'. They can also be used as nominalisers (somewhat
>> ironically :P), meaning 'method' and 'process', respectively.
> Neat, though I'm not entìrely sure what the difference between 'method' and 'process' to you is.  Zero-derivation of verbs to nouns isn't a thing that happens in general, then, I take it?
Those probably aren't the best terms, and it is pretty fuzzy. 'Do' is
more used with the mental conception of an action (e.g. when there's
multiple ways to do an action that all lead to largely the same result,
'do' is used to refer to those ways), and 'go' is more used with the
actual realisation of an action (e.g. it refers to not how something is
done, but the fact that it is being done).

Zero-derivation is pretty unusual. One of the few cases where it can is
when applying case endings to verbs (as a lexical derivation process),
in which case the output can be either a noun or a verb.

>> I've got a few ideas on where to go with it from here, but
>> if anyone has any ideas I'd be happy to hear them.
> Well, what are your ideas?  Anyway, I find the brainstorming easier if you give us a bit of text to chew on, so we can see what kind of structures are asking for reduction or reinterpretation of some sort.  (The interlinearised sentences in your next message are a good start!  I'll have to read them later than right now, though, I'm already up too long.)
One of the things I'm thinking about is a process involving
demonstrative affixes, where something like this happens:
near demonstrative > topic marker > fossilised pronoun marker (e.g.
person+NEARDEM becomes 3.ANIM, and the affix ceases to be productive)
far demonstrative > (contrastive) focus marker > ??

And of course there's always the basic sound change stuff (especially
things like final consonant loss and cluster simplification, since one
of the daugher languages is planned to be straight-up CV). I may have
one branch delete unstressed high vowels and have clicks pop out of any
resulting prevelar stop(/nasal?) + velar stop clusters (e.g. [pi'kat] >
[pkat] > [O\at]).

> Alex, row row rowing

Thanks for the input! You've given me a lot to think about.