CONLANG  July 2013, Week 2

CONLANG July 2013, Week 2

Re: Cat Language

R A Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 10 Jul 2013 16:32:27 +0100

On 10/07/2013 15:16, Padraic Brown wrote:
>> From: R A Brown
[snip]
>> I assumed those long years ago that it was being
>> claimed that the imperative mood was for communicating
>>  with other cats.  IIRC the speaker was claiming cats
>> had language of sorts for inter-feline communication.
>
> Well, clearly, there must be some use for some sort of
> imperative structure when communicating inter pares; but,
> really, how often do you actually commánd your wife to do
> this or that?

One can imagine that a mother cat might use imperatives
towards skittish kittens.

[snip]

>> FWIW those interested might read:
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_communication
>>
>> I'm wishing I hadn't mentioned this less than
>> half-remembered talk on the radio from the 1950s.
>> Obviously conlangers find cats more interesting than
>> prairie dogs.

Yet I assume many conlangers have heard birdsong in their
gardens, and possibly crickets/ cicadas or similar insects
(depending where they live) chirping.  These seem to me
possibilities for conlangs, possibly in an alien world.

> Not more interesting, really. All animal communication is
> of interest for a conlanger.

I hope so.

But all the talk has been about _Felis catus_ and/or
_Canis lupus familiaris_ communicating with humans on a
fairly basic level - mainly to get food.

[snip]

>> We don't of course have these little critters this side
>> of the Pond, but they do look a lot cuter than the cats
>> that visit my garden  ;)
>
> Just as well. They'd dig up your garden in no time at
> all!

At least the darn critters wouldn't sneak into the house
when no one is looking and find somewhere to sleep -
or would they?  (Not familiar with the habits of the various
species of Cynomys).

--
Ray