CONLANG  July 2013, Week 3

CONLANG July 2013, Week 3

Re: Rolling your R's

"H. S. Teoh" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Jul 2013 10:47:18 -0700

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 05:45:53PM -0300, Leonardo Castro wrote:
> My native dialect doesn't have alveolar trills, but pt-BR does have
> them in some accents. I find it easy to pronounce (bilabiar trill is
> far more difficult),

Really? I find the bilabial trill really easy. It's just a "raspberry"
(in American parlance).

> but many of my relatives are unable to pronounce the alveolar trill.
[...]

I read somewhere that many languages that have the alveolar trill also
has words for describing people who can't pronounce it. :) So it's
probably a common phenomenon.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 12:30:43PM +0200, BPJ wrote:
[...]
> I'm in fact a speaker of two somewhat different Swedish
> accents/dialects, one of them having [ɾ]/[r] as a simple/geminate
> pair and the other [ɾ]/[r]/[ɻ] in rather free variation. The
> interesting thing is that [ɻ] is an innovation; I can still
> remember a time when I didn't use it, and younger speakers of
> either of my accents have only [ɻ], so I'm conservative! There
> have always been some speakers of Gothenburg Swedish who used
> uvular /r/ as an individual trait; apparently it runs in
> families, so there may be a physiological difficulty pronouncing
> alveolar/retroflex rhotics for some. I don't normally speak with
> [ʀ] or [ʁ] but I have never had any difficulty pronouncing and
> using either even before I studied phonetics. I had a
> kindergarten teacher from Denmark when I was 2-3 y.o. and I could
> do a fabulous imitation of her accent, or so they say. I can
> produce an epiglottal trill, and I use it when imitating a dog's
> growling, but I can't use it in speech.
[...]

How many different kinds of trills are there? AFAIK, there are:

- Bilabial [B\]
- Apical:
   - Alveolar [r]
   - Retroflex (?)
- Uvular [R\]

What's an epiglottal trill? I don't even have any idea how to even begin
to pronounce that!

Are there any other possible trills?

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 03:53:33PM +0100, David McCann wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 17:45:53 -0300
> Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how common it is for people to be unable to pronounce
> > sounds of other accents of their own language...
>
> The British /r/ is a coronal approximant, but I have never managed
> either that or the flap, despite trying every piece of advice offered
> to foreign learners! Like quite a few, I use a uvular approximant. Up
> in the North East they have the uvular fricative (a pronunciation
> called a Durham burr) and I can do that, or a real Parisian trill.
> Incidentally, I don't use /r/ in words like "trip" and "drip", where
> the initial comes out as as an apical coronal affricate, as
> distinguished  from the laminal one in "chip" and "gyp".

I have a lot of trouble trilling /tr/ and /dr/. I'm still unsure whether
the trill I'm learning is alveolar [r] or retroflex (is there a symbol
for that??). The POA of my [r] is significantly nearer to the hard
palate than [t], so trying to combine [t] with [r] doesn't quite work.

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 10:09:35AM -0700, Cosman246 wrote:
> I can do a uvular trill, but not alveolar. I wonder how one could
> learn...
[...]

I wish I knew how to explain it. For about 3 decades I've been unable to
produce an alveolar trill, in spite of being given countless advice on
how to do it.  Well, I'm still not 100% sure what I'm pronouncing is an
*alveolar* trill; it's some kind of apical trill, that much is clear,
but the POA seems to be significantly nearer to the hard palate than an
alveolar trill would be expected to be.

I accidentally discovered it when trying to pronounce /ExrlU/, which I
envisioned as [Ex] followed by some kind of guttural trill. I think when
I first started it mostly came out as [x:] or [X:], but then somewhere
along the line it started trilling. I couldn't reliably produce the
trill at the time, though. I had to keep trying to say /ExrlU/ and maybe
1 out of 10 tries will get a brief trill that I couldn't hold for more
than half a second or so. I was rather excited that *something* was
trilling, so I kept trying different mouth positions to figure out how
to strengthen the trill. Most of my attempts (99%) fell flat, I have to
say. They weren't kidding when they said [r] is a difficult sound!

Eventually, I somehow managed to get a trill semi-reliably, though in
retrospect, I think it was sometimes [R\] and sometimes [r] (or whatever
the retroflex/retracted equivalent is), or some hybrid of the two (and I
couldn't control which one would come out). Both were voiceless, because
I was still using the [Exr] combination as a clutch to get the trill
going. I think the actual trilling position requires [exr] or [Eexr]; if
the vowel is too open at the onset of /xr/, it doesn't work. And I can
only produce the trill when speaking forcefully; I think it's something
to do with the amount of air pressure required to begin and sustain the
vibration.

It took me another while before I could slowly begin voicing the [r]
without destroying the trill.  Even right now, I still can't produce [r]
reliably in speech. Even in isolation, once in a while I can make an
initial [r] but usually I still need the initial [E] or [e] to get
things going. Lately, I've been experimenting with lip-widening or
tensing the muscles in the upper lateral part of my mouth (does anybody
know which muscles those might be?) to help strengthen the trill.

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 11:17:01PM +0200, Christophe Grandsire-Koevoets wrote:
> On 17 July 2013 21:15, H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> > Hehe, OK. I should look that up online when I get home. :)
> >
> > I think I can now identify the uvular trill (at least when I'm
> > saying it myself). Like others have said, it's like gargling without
> > water. A French oral tradition, perhaps? :-P :-P
> >

> Okay, I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I guess I have to since
> this bit of misinformation keeps coming back on the list: The French
> rhotic is normally *not* an uvular trill [ʀ]. It's an uvular
> *fricative* [ʁ] in most of the country (well, that or an approximant.
> Somehow the IPA uses the same symbol for both), and an alveolar trill
> [r] in some Southern accents. The uvular trill exists only in the
> speech of *some* Parisians (of whom Edith Piaf was the most well
> known), and it's an accent that is strongly decried, and made fun of,
> by the rest of France. In any case, it's not a sound you should use as
> a foreigner to speak French, as people may take it as if you were
> making fun of them (it *is* jarring). The uvular fricative is far
> easier to pronounce, so if you want to speak French I'd advise you to
> focus on that one anyway :) .

OK, good to know. I was just kidding about the *oral* tradition, though.
:)

> That said, if you just want to learn to pronounce and recognise uvular
> trills just for the sake of it, knock yourself out with Piaf, she's
> got very strong ones!
[...]

Well, currently my alien conlang officially has an [r]/[R\] contrast, so
I'd like to learn the uvular trill just so I can pronounce my own
conlang! :)

[...]
> > > Do y'all have trouble pronouncing trills? And if not, what kind of
> > > trill(s) can you pronounce, and how?
> > > ==================================
> > > RM Try as I might, I cannot produce the uvular trill of Parisian
> > > French (except when gargling ;-(((( )  though I can do uvular
> > > stops and fricatives without a problem.
> >

> Strangely enough, I have no problem pronouncing uvular trills,
> fricatives and approximants, but have a hard time with uvular stops.

I've a hard time telling the difference between a velar stop and an
uvular stop.

[...]
> > German has the uvular trill too?
> >

> It has [r], [ʁ] and [ʀ] in free variation for a single /r/ phoneme,
> mostly depending on dialect I believe. I have no idea which is the
> more common.
>
> Some Dutch dialects also have the uvular trill as realisation of their
> rhotic phoneme.

Is that the same sound in "Margriet"? My wife visited Holland last year,
and she was describing how that name has a really guttural sound that
she can't pronounce (she got told to stop trying and just say "Margaret"
like in English).

[...]
> > You've no idea how happy I am to have discovered how to pronounce
> > trills, however imperfect it may be at the moment... my entire
> > childhood of exposure to Malay and being unable to trill my /r/'s,
> > and then learning Russian in my adulthood and *still* being unable
> > to trill my /r/'s.
> >

> When I first started learning Spanish, something like 22 years ago, I
> despaired of ever getting both its rhotics right. The flap was
> relatively easy. But the trill mystified me. Until I somehow got it
> one day (after repeating about a thousand times "el perro de San Roque
> no tiene rabo"!).  Since then I never forgot it. Trilling is like
> biking: after you learn it you never forget :) . Actually, it went so
> far that when I got the trill right I somehow lost the ability to make
> correct flaps (I would trill them too much), and I had to relearn to
> make flaps! :P

OK, now I'm *really* wondering if what I think I'm pronouncing as a flap
is actually just a really fast [d], because it has absolutely *no*
resemblance to the way I'm pronouncing my trills right now!

> The trick that did it for me, IIRC, was to stop focussing on tongue
> movement and start focussing on my breath. Alveolar trills are not
> produced by consciously moving your tongue, but rather by placing your
> tongue in the right position, relaxing its tip, and letting the air
> flow do the work for you. The difficult part is relaxing the tongue
> just enough. Relaxing it too much will result in not much of anything,
> while not relaxing it enough will produce a fricative. There's a kind
> of Goldilocks zone of relaxation when it comes to trills :P.

Interesting. I *am* finding that in order to get a trill, I need a
rather forceful breath -- trying to trill while whispering doesn't work.
(Which is kinda odd, since my trills started out voiceless!) I do find
that tongue position matters a lot, as well as the shape of the mouth
cavity. I keep alluding to the muscles at the roof of my mouth, because
I found that the trill comes more easily when those muscles are tense,
which causes the mouth cavity to narrow at the top. I'm guessing that
this constricts the airflow over the tongue, which helps sustain the
trill. Since I never used to use these muscles in speech, I'm having a
really hard time integrating my [r]'s into regular speech. :)

[...]
> Palatalised trills are easy enough. My own problem is being unable to
> distinguish alveolo-palatal fricatives from postalveolar ones!
[...]

What, there's a difference?!

On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 11:43:35AM +0100, Sam Stutter wrote:
> The amount of times I hear English people attempting to do Edith Piaf
> style accents and thinking it's great French! Am I right when I tell
> them that they're doing the French equivalent of Dick van Dyke in Mary
> Poppins?
[...]

Well, you know how language stereotypes go. When I was young, we used to
mock English-speakers (specifically, British English speakers) for
"speaking with their nose", i.e., making ugly nasal sounds, esp. in a
stereotypical snobbish fashion. Ironically enough, English doesn't even
*have* nasal vowels, whereas nasal vowels are phonemic in my L1!

And before I learnt Russian, I used to believe the TV stereotypes that
it has a lot of guttural fricative sounds or otherwise "harsh" sounds
(whatever that meant).  After actually *learning* Russian, I find that
Russian is actually quite mellifluous!

On Wed, Jul 17, 2013 at 04:58:49PM -0400, J. 'Mach' Wust wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 10:59:52 +0200, taliesin the storyteller <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> >On 2013-07-17 09:18, BPJ wrote:
> >> I guess you can coarticulate a uvular and an alveolar
> >> trill/fricative but I'd guess that you're just pronouncing a
> >> voiceless uvular trill. A forcefully articulated /X/ easily becomes
> >> trilled. You should rather easily feel if the uvula is vibrating;
> >> it kind of bubbles in your throat.
> >
> >.. like gargling water without the water, really.
>
> It might also be an epiglottal trill, though. I imagine that for
> someone who couldn't pronounce either before, the uvular and the
> epiglottal trill might feel very similar. I have a hard time producing
> an epiglottal trill, but I can distinguish it from the uvular trill
> since that one, I can pronounce reliably (though not very naturally).
> So when I produce something different vibrating even further back and
> down than the uvula, I am pretty sure it must be the epiglottis. Most
> of the times I try producing that trill, it just gargles, but
> sometimes, I get a very distinct trill.
[...]

I've no idea how to even begin to pronounce an epiglottal trill! (I
didn't even know there's such a thing as an epiglottis before coming to
this list.) It'd be interesting to learn, though. It's good conlang
material. :)

VI = Visual Irritation