CONLANG  July 2013, Week 3

CONLANG July 2013, Week 3

Re: Fwd: "Even if"

Lisa Weißbach <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Jul 2013 16:47:38 +0200

2013/7/19 H. S. Teoh <[log in to unmask]>

> On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 10:34:09AM +0200, Lisa Weißbach wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I don't know if my email made it to the list - I tried sending it
> > twice a few hours ago but didn't receive it, so I have to conclude
> > that I made some kind of mistake. First time poster blues... I hope
> > you don't mind me trying to send it to you privately now; you may of
> > course respond on the list.
>
> Your message to the list did arrive, it just took some time for the
> mailing list server to bounce the messages to everybody. :) And welcome
> to the list, BTW.

Thank you! Sorry, obviously I was a little impatient - I just assumed that
posters also receive their own posts, and when I didn't I started to
worry... This time I know better :)

> [...]
> > Russian seems to have a similar category usually referred to as the
> > "unsuccessful conative" where a verb in the imperfect is contrasted
> > with the same verb in a negated perfect form: V.IMPERFECT but not
> > V.PERFECT 'I tried to V but in the end I didn't V'. This contrast
> > highlights the counterfactual modality of the imperfect, which chimes
> > with your choice of an imperative morphology since the imperative also
> > has a counterfactual feel to it.
>
> Interesting. So you're saying it's like V.IMPERFECT is in the process of
> being accomplished, but ultimately stopped short, hence "didn't
> V.PERFECT"?

Yes, that's the idea; although I should warn you that appearently, the use
of 'but not' is essential here and the intended meaning wouldn't come
across without it. Mind you, I don't speak Russian, so I don't know
first-hand if this is really happening, but Tania Kuteva comes from
Bulgaria so I assume that she - as a linguist from a Slavic-speaking area -
also has some understanding of Russian. Oh, and in the seminar where we
discussed the topics for our exams there was a girl who does speak Russian
and who confirmed that this kind of construction can be used. I'd say you
can be pretty sure of it (I seem to remember that you've learnt Russian?).
The example Kuteva gives in the manuscript is the following:

On ubeždal menja, no ne ubedil.
He convince.IMPERFECTIVE.PAST me, but not convince.PERFECTIVE.PAST
'He tried to convince me, but he couldn't.'*

*Kuteva, Tania 2010: Grammaticalization and the Evolution of Grammar: On
One Particular Kind of Grammatical Categories. In: Kang, Young-Se,
Jong-Yuri Yoon, Jongseon Hong, Jiun-Shiung Wu, Seongha Rhee, Kyoung-Ae Kim,
Dong-Ho Choi, Kee-Ho Kim and Hye-Kyung Kang (eds.): Lectures on Universal
Grammar and Individual Languages (SICOL-2010). Hankookmunhwasa: Seoul,
Korea, pp. 144-156; here: probably p. 149 or 150 (my copy has a different
pagination, the example is on page 8 of 17). This, by the way, is the
manuscript I've been talking about. Besides the inconsequential, it
examines grammatical categories of the avertive ("was on the verge of V-ing
but did not V"), the proximative ("is about to V/is on the point of V-ing")
and the avolitional ("it would be too bad if he V-ed").

> You're right that the choice of imperative morphology is because of the
> contrafactual modality -- an imperative implies that the action hasn't
> been done yet (otherwise there would be no need to demand it), hence
> contrafactual.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant - thanks for describing it more clearly
than I did!

> [...]
> > What you're describing seems to me to be semantically similar to this
> > inconsequential category - the action of you coming here is expected
> > to result in me not shattering your glass dome, but this expectation
> > is not met because I will still shatter it, whether you come or not.
> > Your last two examples are a bit trickier to fit into this scheme,
> > though, because language is taking a mental shortcut here: the most
> > important bit of information is left out, namely that the "action
> > taken in vain" is the mere prospective thought of many-eyed monsters
> > or a catastrophe assumed to prevent the speaker from "going out there"
> > or "doing this" now, not the monsters or the catastrophe themselves
> > (because they haven't appeared/happened yet - so how could they
> > prevent anyone from doing anything now?). Still, I think that the
> > semantics are comparable enough (hey, that sentence was an
> > inconsequential too - once you've got to know them, you'll start
> > seeing them everywhere).
>
> The way I perceive it, it's sorta like the equivalent of the English
> "Come what may, I'm still going to do this".  It's as though the speaker
> issuing a challenge -- I'm going to do X, let all those who oppose me
> come try to stop me, 'cos I'm gonna do it anyway! It's a kind of
> disregard for the consequences of one's actions.

Yes, and the inconsequential category definitely includes meanings such as
this one; I analysed and translated example sentences similar to yours in
my exam so I don't have a doubt that your last sentences and the earlier
ones are related semantically. Still, I think there is a small difference.
The prototypical inconsequential works like this: something happens (action
1) - it usually has certain consequences (expected result) - in this
specific case, the result doesn't occur or at least has no influence on the
agent's actions (action 2). In your last examples, the timeline looks like
it's been switched around: the agent acts in a particular manner
(corresponds to action 2!) even though something bad may happen (action 1)
which is expected to prevent the agent (expected result) - looks like
putting the cart before the horse! But it's actually quite easy to fit the
examples into the concept of the inconsequential because in fact, what we
should label "action 1" is not the bad things that will happen, but the
thought of them happening, the premonition. So the timeline should be: the
agent thinks of the possibility of bad things happening to him (action 1) -
this thought should prevent him from acting in a certain way (expected
result) - the agent acts that way anyway (action 2).

Your way of thinking about these sentences suggests yet another possible
interpretation of the inconsequential formula: the agent acts in a certain
way (action 1) - as a consequence, monsters may appear and catastrophes may
take place so that the agent is supposed to regret his actions (expected
result) - the agent doesn't regret his actions and may even interpret them
as brave (action 2).

These two interpretations basically describe the same scenario but choose
different starting points: the first one starts at the agent's
considerations preceding his actions (provided that he does think before he
acts, of course!) and ends at the action itself, whereas the second one
starts at the action and ends at the reflection after the fact (if your
agent is the type who shoots first and asks questions later). Both are
valid in my opinion, I just thought I'd point out the difference since it
demonstrates how potential agents may adopt different perspectives,
depending on their way of thinking. That could become an interesting
distinction in a conlang ;)

> > Hope that helps - or that it is at least a push in the right direction :)
> [...]
>
> That was helpful, thanks! I'm not sure if it's exactly an
> inconsequential, but at least it helps me think about it in a clearer
> way. :)

Great, that's all I could hope for! I would offer to send you Tania
Kuteva's manuscript, but I'm not sure she'd be okay with it since it is
probably copyrighted material. Would you like me to ask her?

[...]

Lisa