CONLANG  July 2013, Week 3

CONLANG July 2013, Week 3

Re: The Language of Pao

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 20 Jul 2013 17:21:23 -0600

On 15 July 2013 15:09, Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 12:49 AM, MorphemeAddict <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> When I first read The Languages of Pao, I didn't realize how little
>>> information it had in it, and on re-reading it, I disliked the story so
>>> much I didn't finish it.
>
>>It isn't among Jack Vance's best works.  I lost my copy a couple of
>>years ago, and haven't been in any hurry to replace it, there are so
>>many other Vance works that I more strongly want to re-read.
>
> (Cha) It's definitely a teething book for young conlangers (do). (Cha) In Vance's defence, it was the first book I ever read where the author introduced an alien language and then provided a gloss, nowever rough (do).

I skimmed through the book again in the last week looking specifically
for information about the language, and while there isn't much, there
was a bit more than I remembered on my first read-through- in
particular, the footnote with the gloss of a sentence in actual
Paonese, which provides several more words/morphemes than the single
word quoted later on in the text.

There are a lot of Paonese names (of people and places) from which one
might try to extract more bits of structure, but except for the names
of continents (which are transparently derived from the numeral
system), no meanings are assigned to any of them, and they don't seem
to have much in the way of unified phonological structure, so I'm
pretty much just discarding those as uselessly uninformative.

The explicit description of the language amounts to claiming that it
"presents a picture of a situation rather than describing an act",
contains "no verbs or adjectives" (I didn't remember the lack of
adjectives, but I guessed that right in my first round of musings)
instead consisting mainly of "nouns, post-positions, and temporal
indices", has no "formal comparison" (exemplified by a lack of words
for "better" or "best") and no words for "prestige", "integrity",
"individuality", "honor", "justice" (which is not particularly
interesting; it's easy to just leave out specific lexical items and
circumlocute around them), and is polysynthetic.

There are two glossed sentences, the first of which actually provides
the Paonese words and the second of which just has the free English
translation and the English morpheme-by-morpheme gloss:

"There are two matters I wish to discuss with you"
_Statement-of-importance_ - _in a state of readiness_ - two; ear-of
Mercantil-_in a state of readiness_; mouth - of this person here - _in
a state of volition_
"Rhomel-en-shrai bogal-Mercantil-nli-en mous-es-nli-ro."

"The farmer chops down a tree"
Farmer _in a state of exertion_; axe _agency_; tree _in a state of
subjection to attack_

It's claimed in each case that "The italicized words represent
suffixes of condition." I suspect italicizing
_Statement-of-importance_ is just a typographical error, as that's
clearly not a suffix.

We also get the basic numerals in an octal system (ai, shrai, vida,
mina, nona, drona, hivan, imple, which I assume go 1-8 rather than 0-7
though there's no explicit statement either way), and the quoted word
"praesens", which is defined only as a "vitality word" (whatever that
means).

Jack Vance seemed to use "suffix" and "post-position" pretty much
interchangeably, which is just fine if we assume a linguistically
naive narrator who can't decide which it is. Having one of
whatever-those-are that means specifically "in a state of subjection
to attack" however makes me think that it's probably an open class,
and that plus the claimed polysynthetic nature of the language makes
me want to categorize those things as independent verb-like roots,
which act as suffixes on nominal roots, as in my original musings.

I have little clue what "temporal indices" might refer to; there's
nothing that might match that description in either of the given
glosses, which indicates to me that whatever they are, they must be
optional (i.e., not a required component of a grammatical sentence).
We can conclude that they were not simply omitted from the gloss due
to being hard to translate because the sole point of providing the
Paonese words fro gloss #1 was to demonstrate that it's not
substantially longer than the equivalent English utterance. Assuming a
linguistically naive narrator, I've got quite a bit of leeway in
making up something that might reasonably be (mis)interpreted as a
"temporal index", but this might require some re-thinking of my
original plan to include evidential complexes.

The first gloss gives us some insight into morphological structure and
some interesting morphemes, including

-en = "readiness"
-ro = "volition"
-nli = genitive
es = "this person"

I would guess that "volition" is equivalent to "agent" in more
standard terms, while "agency" (from the second gloss) probably really
means "instrumental".
The "readiness" suffix might be an existential, or perhaps a topic marker.
Genitives apparently follow their heads in compounds and use a
post-posed genitive marker, which throws some naturalistic
complication into adapting Herman Miller's scheme for arbitrarily
complex compounds.

There isn't any explicit discussion of Paonese pronouns (though there
is for Breakness pronouns, mainly to get across that they are so
egocentric that there's no need to bother with a word for "I",
because, well, duh, of course "I" am the subject), so it's
particularly interesting that "es", the obvious translational
equivalent for "I" (the addressee in that situation is the ambassador
of Mercantil, so the proper noun Mercantil must be the source of the
English "you"), is glossed as "this person here". Perhaps that's to
indicate that the word, kind of like Japanese pronominals, is
standardly used for "I" but doesn't literally mean only that, and can
be employed as a more general pronoun for a nearby or highly relevant
person in the proper discourse context. I imagine an interesting
pronouns system with a split between animate near/mid/far
demonstratives used as the rough equivalent of 1st/2nd/3rd personal
pronouns and inanimate forms used more like regular demonstratives.

Also, it looks like simple numerals can be suffixed to noun-verblike
complexes. The closed simple numeral class can probably be extended
with morphemes for "few", "none", and "many" to allow for the
expression of non-specific plurality as desired, without having number
as an obligatory grammatical category. There's no indication of how
larger numbers are formed, and those often have different grammatical
behavior, so I can have fun with that.

> (Cha) If you're doing Paonese, are you planning to do the language of the Dominuses and then create Pastiche (do)?

Oh, no. I thought that the language of Breakness sounded like maybe it
descended from Japanese, but that's about it. None of the others
really caught my interest at all.

BTW, I find that cha/do thing so incredibly annoying that I kind of
cheered a little inside when that bug lady got killed. However, now
you got me thinking about what function it might actually serve; I
don't think it's supposed to bracket sentences, but based on the claim
that leaving it out is impolite, maybe it's supposed to be a
turn-taking mechanism. And now I wonder if the writer for Doctor Who
thought about it that much....

-l.