CONLANG  August 2013, Week 2

CONLANG August 2013, Week 2

Re: This topic made me think of a topic I'd pondered about on another list.

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Aug 2013 05:44:12 -0700

> From: Nicole Valicia Thompson-Andrews <[log in to unmask]>

> Boy am I glad Ben Franklin got the postal system going.

Mind you, just because your emperor is called Hendfast Heruwbld (Firm-Hands Sword-Bloody) doesn't
mean the place is uncivilised, and it's not that there's no postal system at all! In fact post office
(Grterhhdomlihh Postez) is probably one of the most robust and far-reaching entities in the Eastlands.
They maintain offices in every major city in the East, plus several major ports in Alaria (the continent beyond
the Eastern Ocean), Dharamombas (an empire of the Southern Ocean) and Breasal (the continent beyond
the ocean that lies beyond Alaria). You can send a letter (scryvon (thing written)) or packet (wrthon
(thing bound or tied up)) by local courier (only within a metropolitan area), or standard transferal, or if
going any long distance by horse courier, olifant waggon, airship or train. Airmail is handled by the Daine
of Westmarche, since they're the only one's who are a) smart enough to sort out flying and b) daft enough
to go up in a contraption that, by rights, ought to fall apart of its own volition. They're fond of visiting relations
in the Uttermost West and have agreed to carry mail as far as Nikea in the Reman Empire before heading
off to their own lands further west. Going east over the Oceans, they drop off mail to several port cities. The
caravanway is a pretty robust rail network that connects many places in the East and offers a very fast way
to send something to someone in a distant land.

> Interesting info for your settlements. How do prospective home owners pick a house to live in?

This can be a rather complex process. It's not like you can just go on Zillow or Trulia and find out information
about a house for sale. Generally, if you're planning to move to a new city within your own country, you
would have to take rooms in a local caravansary or hotel (big cities will have both) and then you spend some
time scouting out the neighborhood. If you're a jeweler (applies to any guilded craftsman, really) and looking
for a new place, you'll almost certainly have already corresponded with the Guild in your new city and will
probably have some sort of arrangement in place upon arrival. You'd just present your credentials at the Guildhouse,
and the local members will most certainly help you find a suitable house, probably within the neighborhood where
other jewelers and fine metal workers live and work. As a temporary measure, you might be put up in the
Guildhouse itself (members travelling from other places are usually put up in the Guildhouse, and this is also
where students learning the craft may live, though not all guilds work that way).

In human cities, houses in nice neighborhoods are family treasures and are very rarely sold. Long term leasing
is a more viable option for most. Of course, if your family is connected to someone living in your new city,
chances are good they'll already have a house or two you could live in.

The situation in Westmarche is rather different. Daine don't go in much for land or house *ownership* and
haven't quite sorted out how to work *money*. They also tend not to move away from where their families
live (and have lived for hundreds of years). Houses tend to grow organically as people come and go.

> Yemoran houses are connected too.

Connected to each other?

> Do couples have one sleeping platform or two?

Generally speaking, among Men it is most common that a married couple will have a single bed. Among
Daine, where multiple marriages are possible, I guess they might need a larger sleeping platform! Daine
houses in Westmarche are mostly made of brick and stone and have lots of rounded lines, circular halls
and have extensions everywhichway where families live and folks have their workshops. It's often hard
for an outsider to tell exactly how many people live in a house and indeed where a house ends and
another starts. Bedchambers are generally reserved for married folks -- young children are usually
corralled together in a large communal dormitory, older boys in another and older girls in yet another.
Unmarried folks sometimes live in the dormitories and sometimes have built their own little rooms
somewhere in the house.

> Are your streets strips or complete streets? What are they made from?

Paved roads are not the norm in much of the World, except in larger towns or cities, where streets
are cobbled. One interesting thing about towns and neighborhoods in cities is that they each their
own characteristic arrangements of cobbles -- so a savvy night-walker (or presumably a sensitive
blind person) could conceivably tell what neighborhood of a city he's in just by feeling how the stones
are laid out. Obviously, a sighted person can identify the patterns by looking. Most roads that
connect cities are basically broad dirt or gravel trails. There are a few exceptions, though. The Royal
Highway (in Auntimoany) is paved; the Rumeliards are fond of paving their roads, even those that
connect small towns. The Great West Road is a broad highway that extends from Pycleas in
Auntimoany and crosses the whole broad and vast expanse of Eosphora and Hespera ending up
near Marloyn in a Daine country of the Uttermost West. People say it was built by the gods, but I
think it probably predates the gods by a good while. Chalk it up to ancient aliens. In any event, the
Great Road is uniformly made, twenty two feet kerb to kerb and is properly graded all along the
way. That's wide enough for two olifant waggons to trundle side-by-side and have a bit of room to
spare! It has bridges and seems to be a magical artifact of some sort. (Maybe Class II or Class III
on the Thorfield Scale.) It whisks away the falling leaves of autumn and snow seems to melt away,
no matter how deep the drifts are on either side of the road. Weeds never take root in the pavements
and the Road seems to be able to alter itself to the circumstances it finds itself in. For example, when
Men first built the Caravanway, one night the Road provided them with a grade crossing and a
gaily painted red and white wicket so the watchman can stop traffic when a caravan trundles by.

The Daine of Westmarche love the smooth flatness of the Road because, apart from having invented
flight, they've also invented the actorcycle, a kind of thing that looks like a wooden horse with a
wheel under the forelimbs and a wheel under the hindlimbs and a homunculus motivator in the belly,
and boy do the young lads like to run those machines flat out! Breaking is an issue, to be sure... but
it's not like there's a lot of rush-hour traffic anyway!

Padraic