CONLANG  September 2013, Week 1

CONLANG September 2013, Week 1

Re: Is It True That Left-Handed People Are Smarter Than Right-Handed People?: Scientific American

Sam Stutter <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 2 Sep 2013 09:26:54 +0100

Exactly what I was thinking.

(Leftie, never-did-an-IQ-test but did do one of the replacements for the IQ test, right footed, right handed for sports except those which involve weapons of any kind, right-handed when punching, left handed when getting dressed, etc, etc). De-facto left handed due to right-side being the one which gets epileptic all the time.

Anyway, I suspect there's a degree of confirmation bias here. We all know that da Vinci was left handed and left handedness occurs in 10% of people. We remember cleverness and left handedness together because they're both noticeable qualities, whereas we don't remember right handedness or being dumb :-P

I recall the urban myth among British (and probably other countries') emergency services. It is widely believed that your average citizen tends to go a bit crazy when there's a full moon, meaning that the police, ambulance and fire services are extra busy.

A scientific study was carried out which revealed that there was no spike in activity during full moons. Policemen, etc had simply recalled that, on busy nights, they had looked up at the sky and seen a full moon. They had forgotten all those times they had looked up and not seen a full moon and when they weren't busy they hadn't looked at the sky. Furthermore, something resembling a full moon can be seen in the sky for at least 4 days every lunar month.

The same is probably true for left-right clever-dumb dichotomy. It's perhaps noticeable that the moon thing and left-handedness are 1/8 and 1/10 respectively. The brain notices patterns which simply aren't there.

The same is true for the right-left brain analytic-artistic dichotomy. They all appeal to a long-standing western tradition of "polar opposites" like male-female, good-evil, summer-winter, etc, which all appeared because the ancient Greeks were sometimes a little lazy in their thinking.

Also, hasn't the IQ test been debunked? I also think I recall the "emotional intelligence" and "kinaesthetic/visual/audio learning styles" were also declared to be nonsense. What matters is not some latent quality of intelligence, but how you deploy your available brain power and in what sphere of intelligence. There is so little we actually understand about the brain we must always be wary of people who say they have some universal truth about all human brains.