Help for TEI-CORRESP-SIG Archives

TEI-CORRESP-SIG Archives

TEI-CORRESP-SIG@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

TEI-CORRESP-SIG Home

TEI-CORRESP-SIG  February 2014

TEI-CORRESP-SIG February 2014

Re: First Call for papers for TEI Conference at Northwestern, October 22-24

Peter Stadler <[log in to unmask]>

Peter Stadler <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Feb 2014 10:06:41 +0100

Hello Mandy,

as always, there’s a variety of possibilities within the TEI Guidelines for the proper encoding of a specific feature ;-)
One solution could be to have a fixed set of terms (e.g. „postcard“, „letter“ and „telegram“) and simply put these as type values on the element <text>.
If you want more power to your taxonomy you should have a look at <textClass> (and its children) [1] as well as <classDecl> [2]. One of the great advantages of this second approach is to be able to link to external classification schemes which can facilitate interoperability with e.g. library catalogues.

So, personally I think it’s a good idea to provide at least some classification but how much effort to put into this depends totally on your project demands.

Hope that helps,
Peter

[1] http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/HD.html#HD43
[2] http://www.tei-c.org/release/doc/tei-p5-doc/en/html/HD.html#HD55