Re: OT: Mid-winter greetings

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Feb 2014 18:51:31 -0800

Adam Walker <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Ivanova quotes!! I love Ivanova quotes!!
>
> Adam

By the way, I've been working on where in the World one can find these
pugnatory peacock phalanxes, and it turns out that in Mentolatum, the
18th century arquan, one Atman Yandmnant (Atman the Goer on Walkabout),
was the first to train select cadres of attack peacocks. By the 19th century,
each of the Five Legions had their own peacock auxiliaries. Each aerial phalanx
of peacocks flies in its own characteristic formation, until needed in battle; and
it is then they dive down upon the enemy, using their fluttery tails to block the
vision and sow confusion and consternation among the ranks.

If worse comes to worse, and the legion is in dire straits, the peacocks are
trained in various forms of beak to face and talon to hand combat. Their
teeth might be tiny, but they are sharp! And they certainly know to use them!

> On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 10:51 AM, Puey McCleary
> <[log in to unmask]>wrote:
>
>>  Okay, Padraic. You're forgiven. But that was quite a close call. I
>>  almost had to send a carrier pigeon to Santa, and you know how hard he is
>>  to find at this time of the year.
>>
>>  However, I offer as a translation challenge this phrase:
>>
>>  "Why that Christmas thievin', badger lovin', undrhanded, no
> good....  cry havock and let y-slip ye peacockes of warre!"

Gar! Thu yeolnemend, qeurmarthesleufend, illhallet . . qerd! ihh grye ande
tethlsnand thm haryoyeithondes!

Cor, thou yulenimming, curomardloving illbediced ... havoc! I gry and (that)
to-thee-loosen them war-yethhounds!

Okay. So, Yeolaz is well enough known! You know all about Yeolfather and hanging up
a pair of new stockings and leaving the window open a crack and, of course, the terror
of a cold night among the Yeolcats for the naughty!

So, a curomard is a kind of badger. Only worse. He has eight beclawed legs, acidic saliva,
is about three foot long and is as mad and tenacious a fighter as you could imagine. Even a
Daine will not happily square off against a curomard! So bold and warlike is he that, even
fter you kill him fair and square, he'll still keep trying to bite your knees off or disembowel
you with his ferocious claws!

Illhallet means, literally, "crooked diced" and includes the semantic range of sneakily secret
to openly underhanded. Hallez comes from the old word yallea, and means a knucklebone.

Etymologically transparent qerd comes, ultimately, from an old Thietish root that no
longer exists in Avantimannish or Osmannish, namely *xabaq- It's been transmogrified by
Old Rumelian into hovaqere and Middle Rumelian auvecqere and Early Modern Rum.
aucqer -- to seize by raw violence. This in turn gets reborrowed into Avantimannish
military parlance as qerd, literally "have at it!", replacing the native "nemet ande fanet".

The specific phrase, of course, comes from act iii of a comic opera of VVil Shaxespear, that 16th
century darling-boy of the nascent theatre movement in Auntimoany. In this case, "Hulyus
et Antunius Faxunt Praiturias". Apparently, it seems that the Senators hired a well known hit
man to murder Hulyus (who was then autocrat of the Republic), but it turns out they ended
up talking with his twin brother, Anthunius, who was Hulyus's comrade in arms. They talk about
it over a pint down the popina and hatch their own rather comical plan to dupe the Senators.
This involves a a rather convoluted song and dance number where they convince Hulyus's own
twin brother to stand in for the autocrat on the floor of Parliament where Antunius will rush in,
saxo extracto, and pretend to kill the autocrat per plan, where much chicken blood will be
splashed about. Meanwhile, Hulyus is cleverly disguised, in plain sight, as a reporter for the local
broadsheet (and in which role he sings out the line in question -- horto io aucqere! elusent' i cuondos
di duello! ia ia!) The Senators erupt in jubilation, Hulyus takes off his reporter's saturno whence,
oclis amphivertis, the Senators recognise the real autocrat's stern features glaring at them!
The game is up now and Hulyus let's in the "dogs of war" who round up all the evil Senators
and toss them into the harbour, all to the accompaniment of the rather jolly aria, "Ad Mareas Vadiamo!"
Arm in arm, Hulyus and Antunius enjoy a rousing sing-along down the popina and a reprisal of the
famous "Bebiamo! Rebebiamo!" chorus, after which everyone exeunts stage right.

The yethhounds of war are the harimen who get the bloody job done. In Avantimannish,
they are something like berserk shock troops. They don't fight naked or anything, but
they do fight dirty and will do whatever it takes to fight today and keep on living long enough to drink
tonight! The yethhound itself is a somewhat illdefined monster of Avantimannish sawyery -- it is
indeed some kind of monster of the slobbering canine sort, but I am not yet aware of the particulars.

>>  I'd translate it myself, but at the moment I have eighteen things to do,
>>  and all of them are annoying.

Oh, do put 14 of them aside and give it a go!

>>  By the way, am I the only one listening to Vivaldi's Four Seasons at this
>>  time of the year?

I listen to it whenever it's on -- right now it's Bach. It is exciting, however,
that someone dug up all this Vivaldi music that hasn't been heard in like
600 years or something and is finally getting around to recording it. That's
what you get for being so damn prolific -- takes em centuries to record
all your music!

And now, the Firework Music!

Padraic