CONLANG  February 2014, Week 1

CONLANG February 2014, Week 1

Calendars (was Re: OT: Mid-winter greetings and other Assorted Chocolate Filled Rabbit Eyeballs

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Feb 2014 19:03:17 -0800

Puey McCleary <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>We had a discussion about spelling reform, so if no one else is going to
>mention it, I'll bring up calendar reform.  Has anyone come up with some
>interesting proposals?  13 months a year?  19 days a week?  How about a
>month all of Fridays?

Nothing so interesting as those, I'm sure!

>Conversely, now would be a good time to discuss different calender schemes
>in our languages.  Anything exotic?

Exotic, perhaps. In the World, there are several schemes in use to reckon time. Among the
Teor, for example, they make use of two calendrical systems, the Long and the Short. The
Short is what they use to record everyday events going back perhaps ten thousand years or
so. It is made up of all the "shorter cycles of heavenly mechanics" that most folks are used
to: centuries and years made up of repeating cycles of season and months and days. But
where the Teor go all out is in their Long Calendar, which is what they use for keeping their
much older histories. This calendar looks like a year calendar with its twelvefold division,
but the time span is much longer and comprises what they call an Age of Stars:

Star Ages are a measure of time used principally by the Teor. Hipparchus of Nicaea explained the

long ages of time used by the Teor after discovering the Tertiary Motion of Gea, which be the

precession of the globe around an imaginary cone originating at the world's center, the base of which

be a circle described in space around Gea. This precession is responsible for the apparent shift in Pole

Stars over the years - for as time has passed, seafaring nations have learnt that north be in the region

of a certain star, and that this pole star be not the same from age to age - and for the discrepancies noted

in ancient astrological observations. Thus, the equinoxes are found to precess through each house of the

zodiac over a period of 2100 years, which hight a zodiacal era; twelve such eras, when the equinox has

precessed through all twelve houses of the zodiac, make a Hipparchian age, which be 25·200 years.

Forty such ages make what the Teor call an Age of Stars, or 1·008·000 years. The Teor account for

eight such Ages of Stars, though believe Gea to have been created as many as twenty Ages previous.

The Ages of Stars the Teor name not, but names were later given them by other philosophers: Marax,

Uzara, Fanam, Azrael, Marakan, Pashto, Starram, Xora and Calior. These are said to be the names of the

spirits or angels that watch over each Age and may at times visit the world or else send messengers or

wardens over the world. ("Cultures of the World")

***

The calendars of Men are also based on astronomical observation, but lack the higher perfection of Teorish

calendars. The calendars devised by Men tend not to be linked with astronimical cycles, however. The

Common Calendar, which is used by most lands in Hespera, Eosphora and Phazzanea, is based on the

victory of Archthaumaturge Ogustas, emperor and pharaoh of the Remans of the Uttermost West over the

Ehrranian armies in the 89th year of the Pesqas zodiacal era.

It is a human-centric calendar and divides the life of mankind on Gea into five arbitrary periods called Ages

of Man or Ages of the Sun, each of smaller and smaller duration. A certain school of philosophy holds that

the present, Fifth Age of Man will be the last age and will culminate in a long and bloody cataclysm, an

all-consuming, all-destroying war where Mankind will be destroyed, in the not too distant future; others, of

course, being philosophers, pooh-pooh the idea out of hand.

As originally devised, based on an improper understanding of an older Kemeteian calendar reckoning, the

Common Calendar consisted of 12 months of 30 days, at the end of which an intercalary holiday of five days

was inserted. The actual length of the year is a little bit above 365 ¼ days, so this calendar was soon

discovered to be incorrect. By the second century or so, it was reformed by the insertion of a “leap day” every

four years. This leap day might be added anywhere the chief priests of the empire desired to place it. The

Christian churches continue to use the old calendar for ecclesiastical purposes, and it is now quite out of synch

with the civil calendar, having missed out on more than 500 leap days over the last two millenia. New Year is

set at 25 March on this calendar.

***

Another common system of reckoning the years has been the Olympic Calendar. The great Tabulation, a sort

of almanac of newsworthy events and olympic victors, kept at the Gymnasion at Syracuse, was reckognised

early on as a good means of keeping track of years without resorting to the names of Consuls or bothering

with regnal years or dynasties. It is reckoned from 776 before the present age, that being the year in which the
first Olympic Games was held, and is counted in olympiades of four years each. The individual years within an

olympiad are designated A, B, C and D. 2004 is year A of the 695th olympiad. The calendar begins on 1 July

of 776 bpa; though in 325 of the present era, it was decided to move the Olympic new year to the vernal

equinox in order to align it more perfectly with the usual calendars of the region. Thus, that year, 1101 on the

Olympic calendar, became known as the Long Year due to more than three months being added to it.

***
The civil calendar of many countries of the Eastlands divides the solar year into twelve equal months of 30 days
each. Within each month, there are two fortnights, the formath and the backmath, and each has its own name.
In between each fortnight is a "wanweeked day", which are days that are not part of the weeks or fortnights. So,
March 1st through 14th is the formath whilst the 16th through 29th is the backmath. The two wanweeked days
are the 15th, the Dies Meridianus and the 30th, the Dies Januarius. The D.M. is also known as the ides.

Months always begin on Sunday. At the end of February is an intercalary month of five or six days to round out
 the solar year. Government offices tend to close down, as well as other public institutions.

The months and their fortnights:

I. Yastermath (H: Hrethemath, or just Rethe) or Marcciu (March)
    1. Oldyear
    2. Newyear

II. Hrosmath or Periliu (April)
    3. Fogstide
    4. Frostsdeath

III. Thrimmilco or Maju (May)
    5. Planting
    6. Flowertide

IIII. Erelithe or Huniyu (June)
    7. Sunswaxing
    8. Springs Ende

V. Afterlithe or Pintiliu (July)
    9. Stormhome
    10. Dogsummer

VI. Wodamath (H: Hayemath) or Oguscciu (August)
    11. Summerhome
    12. Halfyear

VII. Halimath (H: Harfstmath) or Seppembril (September)
    13. Longsummer
    14. Harvest Home

VIII. Winterfilleth (H: Yellowmath) or Occembril (October)
    15. Longharvest
    16. Hallowstide

IX. Bladmath (H: Neveling) or Novembril (November)
    17. Greatcoats
    18. Longnights

X. Ereyehulo or Decimbril (December)
    19. Wintersbreath
    20. Yuletide

XI. Afteryehulo or Henuariyu (January)
    21. Sunsdimming
    22. Icehome

XII. Hornyng (H: Solmath) or Fremuariyu (February)
    23. Northblowing
    24. Ices Edge

XIII. Twixtmath or Dies Enterkalendaries (Intercalary Days)
    25. Sagartide

***

Other ways of dividing the year are by the Quarter Feasts. Quarter Feasts are major civil and religious
holidays in most countries of the Eastlands. Ordinary business generally grinds to a halt for a number of
days, governments cease to function and everyone enjoys the holiday atmosphere with family and friends.
The Aft and Forequarter Days are not generally officially sanctioned. Though many folks participate in the
 religious aspects of these holidays, they are not considered a general holiday. Many businesses and
government offices do close for a half day.

The first QF is 25 March: Annunciation to the Kristotokos; Feast of the Incarnation; New Year; Lady Day
Thereafter follow the various Aft and Forequarter Days:

April: AQD: Feast of Archangel Michael; Beating the Bounds: priest and people mark parochial territory, local
festivals and parades
May: FQD: Feast of the Respose of the Holy Evangelist and Sharma Master Marcam
June: QF: Day of the White Sun; Feast of the Conquering Sun; Feast of the Illuminated Krist; Feast of the Deeds
of Lord Mithras
July: AQD: Feast of Archangel Gabriel; Feast of St. Christopher
August: FQD: Feast of the Respose of the Holy Evangelist and Sharma Master Thomam
September: QF: The Day of Reckoning (Teleran, Husick, Heckla); Day of Giving Thanks (Auntimoany, Hoopelle,
Westmarche, Rumnias, Harrun)
Octember: AQD: Feast of Archangel Rafael; Feast of Sts. Crispin and Crispinian, martyrs
November: FQD: Feast of the Respose of the Holy Evangelist and Sharma Master Lucam
December: QF: Nativity of the Lord Krist; Metranes; Yule; First Night; Devotion of the Hundred Names
January: AQD: Feast of Archangel Oriel
February: FQD: Colloptide Morning; Shrove Tuesday; Feast of the Great Fast (First day of Great Lent)

***

Yet another division of the year into quarters is particular to Teleran. There, on the Thursday after the Quarter
Feasts, they have even more important holidays called "Bishops Dance Thursday".

At the March Quarter (the first quarter), the theme of the Dance is one of hope for the New Year and of looking
forward. The festivities are marked by the Mummers’ Parade (a festival in and of itself), various games, the bishop’s
dance itself and the feast held afterward. The bishop blesses the mummers and the people in general for a prosperous
new year. Three accolytes (in green) hold the bishop's mitre, staff and gloves. A fourth holds the bishop's book. The
dance at this quarter is of a merry character and the music is provided by reedpipes and the characteristic bagpipe
known as the "Telerani organ". The reedpipes are small shawms that are always played in pairs; the very large bagpipe
is played by two stout men, so large are they. One man  carries the bag, usually made from a whole hide, and also
blows into the bag to keep it inflated. The second man plays upon the various and quite long chanters, the longer being
nearly four feet long, the shorter about three. Two in number and capable of playing simple harmonies all by  themselves,
these chanters along with the two or three drones make for a  nice accompaniment to the higher pitched shawms. In
some places, a rather  smaller bagpipe, whose longer chanter rarely exceeds three feet in length, is played by a single
man, though still always in the company of two shawms.

At the June Quarter (the second quarter), the theme of the Dance is the Great Sermon, known in the West as the Sermon
on the Mountain. All the local clerics dress in black and bear small cane switches. They begin the chant of the Great
Sermon before the church doors, using one of these texts: chap ii. of the Sutra of the Deeds of the Lord Krist, chap iii of
the Evangel of Gnaton, chap iii. of the Sutra of Markion, chap viii of the Diatessary, or ch. ii of the Sutra of Judas Iscariot,
to which is usually added chap xv of the Sutra of Thomas the Contender. Oliphants, borne by accolytes, are blown, which
give the tone for the chant and also form a sort of underlying drone, in this case, tone iv (approximately in F). The dance
progresses through the streets and markets, the priests slowly bobbing and sweeping the streets with their switches. It is
characterised by somewhat rapid and erratic right angle turns, especially in the bazaars where there’s a little more room
(if a packed suq on a clear, warm Thursday afternoon in Summer may be called roomy!). Upon completion of the chant of
the Great Sermon, the oliphants stop suddenly and a wail of shawms and a clang of cymbals and kettle drums (previously
hidden) ushers in the much swifter Dance of Ye-Shue. The priests all gather around the bishop who sings the main parts of
the text, while the other clerics and any onlookers may shout the “amens” and clapping or stomping in time with the music.

At the September Quarter (the third quarter), the theme of the Dance is thanks for sustenance through the year and for a
bountiful growing season. After lessons and intercessions in the temple, a group of about 20 people process into the temple,
 each decked in white robes and a crown of leaves and ribbons on their heads, and having a candle in one hand and sprays
of leaves, branches and late flowers in the other. As they approach the front of the room, the bishop rises and doffs any
ceremonial garb, and they surround him in a ring. There are no specific steps to the bishop’s dance, which tends to vary by
locality as to musical accompaniment. A “low dance” out in the country might become somewhat rowdy, especially if the
dancers are good and energetic. A “high dance” in one of the chief temples might be much more sedate and stately. After
the dancing, there are closing prayers and everyone retires to a great feast prepared outside.

At the December Quarter (the fourth quarter), the theme of the Dance is purely social and one of celebration in mid-winter.
At Sunset, the people gather in the yeard before the temple and the band strikes up a raucous processional. The  bishop,
accompanied by all the priests and accolytes (all dressed in red) dance out into the yard. Rather than the usual staff of office,
the bishop carries a wand of pine with the leaves still on (never fir or holly). Once out in the yard, the priests and accolytes
form two dancing rings around the bishop. When their dance is done, the music quickens and the priests dance off to be
replaced by all the young boys and girls of the locality. They wear white with colourfully embroidered collars and cuffs. The
twelve tallest girls each bear a green painted torch (or candle if inside); the twelve tallest boys each bear a red torch. Amongst
all of them, they carry a long streamer of woven pine boughs, interspersed with holly, and they all wear wreathes of pine on
their heads. Once they’ve danced around the bishop, the music changes again and everyone joins in. All along there is singing
(sometimes more bawdy than others), and there is mead and beer for refreshment. When everyone’s tired out from dancing,
they retire to the prepared feast. This feast is often of the Twelve-Night feasts (on one of the twelve nights before Metranes);
and the food is rich and plentiful. The dishes often tend to the exotic, making use of animal parts or delicacies not usually seen
in the diet. Some common dishes are Apple Stuffed Cow Stomach, Knuckle and Knee Stew, Queen-o-Hearts (dumpling
stuffed cow heart), Pork Testicle Surprise. Normal foods like pies and pasties are found in abundance as well. At this feast,
the bishop ladles out cider for everyone.

***

A very interesting feature of the daily lives of many folks in the cities of the Eastlands is that of the clockwork calendar.
These are always large mechanisms constructed by the magistrates of the City and maintained from their funds. There
are two basic kinds, the Rumelian and the Thietish.

Rumelian Clockwork Calendars: A typical design of the old school, such as can be found upon the tower of the Curia
house at Praiturias, is two sciudi (ovoids) each divided into 14 sections and painted with mythological tableaux. This
being in the land of the Rumelians, Ares, Mercury, Saturn, Zeus and Ishtar will figure prominently. A smaller sciudos a
little above the other two is divided into twelve sections and similarly painted with appropriate mythological and
astrological scenes. Between the two main sciudi are two smaller rondelets.

The two main sciudi all have large hands that point to a tableau which represents the day of the fortnight. The middle
sciudo has a hand that points to the symbol of the present month. The smallest rondelets have a single hand between
them, one end of which has a large ring and the other end of which a large plate that reveals one rondelet and covers the
other.

The right-hand sciudos has the fourteen days of the first fortnight of the month; the left-hand sciudos has the latter fortnight's
days. The two small rondelets indicate the Dies Meridianus and the Dies Yanuarius, the middle and last days of the month
 respectively.

Usually, such civic calendars in Rumnians are located in conjunction with the city clock. These are standard circular faces
with 26 numerals for the hours and a long hand with a ring on the end that indicates the current hour of the day (or night,
depending on when you're looking at the clock). Newer clocks (after about the 12th century or so) also have a shorter
hand that points to the 364 minutes the day is divided into.

Thietish Clockwork Calendars: Calendars in the Thietish lands function similarly, but appear rather different. In Pyliciopol,
there is a particularly nice clockwork calendar. It is located on the pediment of the Staathous and consists of two large
circular discs painted with hexes and each disc has a shuttered window in it near the edge. Behind the disks are housings
containing animated tableaux -- perhaps one might be a couple engaged in a lively contradance, another might show a hunting
scene, or squirrels chasing each other up a tree, or the Sun rising and setting. Nothing overtly mythological, though many
scenes probably do refer to some ancient saw or other.

At 8 in the morning, a special gong rings in the new day and the hexe slowly revolves a little bit, revealing the new day's
tableau, which slides out into the window, pushing the shutters aside. Then it begins its animation, which continues all day
until 8 in the evening, when another gong rings out the day and the animation stops and the tableau withdraws, allowing the
shutters to close. As with the Rumelian calendars, each great disk has 14 subdivisions, the right-hand one for the first
fortnight, the other for the latter fortnight.

A smaller hexe between and below the large ones indicates the number or symbol of the current month. A small set of bronze
balls set just above the large hexes rotate very slowly (once per month) to indicate D.M. and D.Jan.

Clocks in Teutonic lands are usually separate from the calendars. Like clocks everywhere, they are round faces with the usual
13 hour numbers painted on them. Unlike the handed clocks of Rumnias, these have a gaily decorated hexe with a window
out near the edge. Bisecting the window is a gold clad copper rod that allows one to gauge the minutes. Otherwise, the window
simply reveals the current hour, much like the ringed hand of the Rumelian clocks.

***

There are, of course, smaller calendars and horologues, but they tend to be rather finicky in nature. Pocket horologues and
calendars work rather similarly, but are always thaumically driven, clockwork being too large and clumsy for such small
applications. Since the late 1700s or so, the artificers Hantonius and Hadrianus (Alixaundria), have been making very nice (and
rather dear, if truth be told) clockwork pocket horologues. Their smallest is called the Empress Wandaz (in commemmoration
of her coronation at Auntimoany in 1788 when she was 12), and at a svelte 3 inches in diameter and only 1 inch thick, it was
and remains a marvel of the artificer's art. It is, naturally, jewel encrusted, contains a standard clock on one side, a merry
animated scene on the other and its musicbox plays an equally merry rendition of Spoumoni's "Ride of Ishtar's Maidens".

Usually, a pocket timepiece or calendar is motivated by ensorcelled imps. By using a magnifying lens, one can see them turning
the wee cranks and camshafts inside the works. The thaumic calendars made by various artificers of the Eastlands often mimic
their larger brethren, even to the point of containing near microscopic animated tableaux (wee imps dancing or ice skating or
riding wee horses round a track). With these models, there is only one face, so the wheel revolves twice in a month and has
integrated indicators for D.M. and D.Jan. A small hand usually points out the current month. One very fancy model put out by
Johan Hare has the calendar on one face and the imp driven horologue on the other. You can also twist the edge ring to choose
a happy tune and with a press of the crown, the imp inside will play upon a tiny calliope.

The only problem with thaumics is that, eventually, the ensorcelments  will dissipate and the imps will disappear back into their
own world, leaving behind a useless but pretty bauble. And bugger all if you can get a new imp to take over for one that's
abandoned his place -- they never work half as well as the old ones and rarely last anywhere near as long.

A high quality ensorcelment will keep an imp imprisoned for a good ten years or so. There is a Johan Hare original, dated to 1888,
that still functions properly, but this is a rarity indeed! Eventually, even it will begin to degrade -- the more finicky imps, like the
calliope playing one, tend to go first -- and at last even the most stable of imps, like the ones that keep the movement in synch, will
depart for home.

> Weeks with three and a half days?  A lunar calendar based on the Moons of Mars?

The Hotai (the World's answer to goblins and orcs) don't have much use for calendars or day planners, but even they have their
high holidays and these are reckoned by the movements of na-Zolab, the third (and apparently only visible to them) of Gea's
satellites. They describe it as a baleful black-red disc that rises in the north and wings its way to the southwards. The name means
"little hearth". My money is on it being an artificial satellite of some sort...

> A reform of a calendar from the days when the Moon was much, much closer to Earth?  An alien calendar that

>involves a slide-rule, a crystal ball, and a working perpetual motion machine?

Alna is also home to the only truly accurate timepiece in the whole World. Under the ancient ruins of the city of Alna, there is a

vast cavern, the Gate Chamber in which is The Orrery. It accurately ticks away everything from sixtieths of a second up to the vast

stretches of Time that make the Star Ages seem a mere moment. It also shows the motions of the Sun, all the major and minor

planets, moons, larger asteroids, comets, dark bodies and mysterious clouds that hover around the Sun well beyond the ken of any
inhabitant of the planet or the scrying powers of the most astute astologer.

The Orrery predates all known speaking races of the World by a good half billion years, and it thus roughly contemporaneous with

the Great Road the Library of Ixcq and the network of Gates. No one knows who built it or why. It occupies a much larger space

than the cavern that contains it and probably exists in several alternate dimensions as well.

It is not exactly clear whether the Orrery measures time and mimics the motions of the Sun and planets, or whether the Sun and
planets move on account of the Orrery itself. It is entirely possible that Time itself emanates from the Orrery -- and what happens
Outside is but a shadow and a memory of what is happening Inside...

Hope that satisfies thy curiosity somewhat!

Padraic