Re: Pakuni Decipherment Contribution

Padraic Brown <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Feb 2014 11:48:24 -0800

George Mann <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Especially helpful is that bit about where to put my documents online.  Yeah,
> it's tough.  Box uploads really fast whereas Scribd doesn't.  I have a
> ton to upload and will have a ton to maintain online.  I hope that people will
> be able to trust Box accounts.  Were you saying that people can put viruses with
> the documents ?

I didn't say you did or would. Just that it's a possibility and that many folks don't trust randomly
linked .doc files. Especially from unknown, first time posters, who haven't bothered to
introduce themselves. It's not a big deal, just a red flag.

> I'll re-read what you said and look it up online.  When
> I'm done, there's going to be volumes and volumes online on all sorts of
> different languages.  Would someone like that put viruses with their documents
> in a Box account ?

Since I did/don't know who you are, I have no way of knowing what you might be up to.
It could be malicious. But is probably not. It is best to steer clear of suspicious links until
the person in question is better known as regards motive.

>Seems unlikely to me.  I'll also try to get on Scribd what I can.
>
> About so-called "egotistical" passages : I get excited about what I do,

That's great! We all do get excited about what we do! That's why this community exists.

> maybe I exaggerate or don't know what I'm talking about.

It wasn't really a matter of exaggeration, and I doubt very much you don't know what
you're talking about. I freely admit to knowing nothing at all about the conlang you
have been working to document. Nevertheless, your writings speak for themselves and
that self-centered style can very easily rub folks the wrong way. We like it when people
are passionate about conlangery. And let's face it: you're passionate about documenting
a second rate conlang featured on a third rate 1970s kids television show. Sure, it's
historical! But it's really nothing to write home about. But that said, who else is going
to do all that work of documentation but a die hard fan or a person who has enkindled
some passion for that particular work! Thát is appreciated hereabouts more than the
fluff.

> Maybe you're mistaking didactic rhetoric for egotistical.

No, not really.

> I'm a scholar in my religion

Jesuit? Benedictine? Something else?

> and I don't write like most Westerners.  We're heavy on
> didactic-type stuff.  I'm just imitating the Saints.  If you were studying
> Sanskrit, would you call Krishna egotistical for going on and on about
> reincarnation and meritorious mortifications ?

The thing is, you weren't imitating the saints. You were raising up your own
work over every one else's and in so doing, depricating their efforts. That's
egotistical. You were also making charges of religious persecution that
happened in another well known conlanging forum. I can't speak to the
truth or fallacy of the claim, but would tend to suspect that "persecution"
is probably a bit strong of a word.

> That's their worldview.  We
> have ours.  I don't barf when I read Sanskrit works, I try to understand
> them and appreciate the Linguistic phenomena at play.

I dó barf when a writer comes across so terribly full of himself. More especially
when the topic itself doesn't really warrant. Still moreso when it's his first (known)
post to the group! This is also not a good imitation of the saints! I won't stand
here and say we're all perfect people on Conlang (God knows I've stepped on a
few toes!), but by in large, we tend towards the humble and the uplifting of the
works of others. We appreciate that kind of attitude in others!

> It's a very
> non-Anthropologist viewpoint to not react so strongly to minority rhetorical
> styles.  I'll tell my Ba'hai friend about it some time and we'll have a laugh together.

Knock yourself out!

> Maybe you'll join us.

Probably not. I don't really see the point in having a laugh (with a Bahai or otherwise)
over this. But I would suggest you at least tell your Bahai friend what it actually is I
nonanthropologically reacted to: it was not some "minority rhetorical style" but your
obvious attempt to make yourself appear better than someone else. The best humor
is based in truth.

Now, on to the Pakuni itself!

> Posting here is a good idea, people e-mail you.

Yes, I have to say you've gotten a bit of a ball rolling here! At the very least, you've made
a lot of people aware of a relatively unknown conlang. That too is appreciated!

> # Defence of the claim that Pakuni is very very important in the history of
> mainstream conlangs
>
> I don't really think this is necessary, but Pakuni was the first real
> conlang on TV or movies.

Not thé first. Mostly what you see coming before (and a lot of what comes after) is
mumbojumbo. Garbled natural languages, random gibberish or even blatant use of
unlikely-to-be-recognised natural languages.

Syldavian makes appearances on tv and in the cinema rather earlier than the 1970s.
There's been some discussion of conlangs in movies from the 1960s (Hitchcock's
"The Lady Vanishes"; Rossen's "Lilith", etc)

> It's also got the largest corpus of any mainstream conlang, bigger than Dothraki or
> Avatar's (but not as many words as Avatar's, only like 218).

For a very peculiar (and very idiosyncratic) definition of "largest", perhaps....

> (The corpus is mostly "Oganza bisasa !"
> repeated over and over and over.  It's very telegraphic. )

That's not really enough of a corpus to count as "largest" by really almost anyone's
definition. Most conlangers on this list have languages with more texts or more
detailed grammars or larger lexicons.

I am curious: how large is Pakuni's corpus? How many words int he lexicon? How
large are the texts in the language?

> I, together with Okrand and the Dothraki guy,

David Peterson.

> see Pakuni as very important in the history of mainstream conlangs.

As do I, but possibly not for the same reasons you do. I find it important simply
because it was made especially for a tv series and by someone who took the task
seriously enough to do a halfway decent job of it!

> Pakuni influenced Star Wars' proto-conlangs

Could be. It might be interesting to ask George Lucas about that.

> and then Star Trek's Klingon.  Pakuni was built on Tolkein's conlangs and laid
> the foundation for the entire mainstream conlang scene today.

Not really. It was and still is a veritable unknown. No one on this list has EVER
mentioned Pakuni or Fromkin as inspirations for their conlanging. I never considered
Pakuni anything close to an inspiration, and I used to watch LotL as a kid! I haven't
seen it mentioned as a fundamental inspiration on other forums either. I'm not
saying no one has ever been inspired by it, just that not one of the hundreds of
people who have talked about their sources of inspiration have mentioned Pakuni.

Many people dó, however, list Tolkien and his conlangs as clear founts of inspiration.

To say Pakuni has laid any kind of foundation for the entirety of mainstream
conlanging (whatever that might actually mean) is very much an overstatement.

> To say it's not important because nobody knows much about it is, interesting.

Isn't it. It's rather hard for a conlang and a conlanger to be the influences you claim
when the conlang is practically unkown and the maker of the conlang never gets a
mention. And again, note that no one has said Pakuni is "unimportant"! It is not the
huge and fundamental force in the conlanging world you have been making it out
to be.

> Compare Land
> of the Lost to the Star Wars films and do more research on conlangs and
> proto-conlangs in history, that's my advice.

Well, LotL was a second rate kids television show (I know that, cos I used to watch it
in reruns in the 1980s and even then knew it was pretty hokey.) Star wars was pretty
high mythology (though pretty lousy on the conlang angle), though I wasn't really
aware of those things when I was a kid.

I have indeed researched many conlangs, and am well aware of those that have come
before, and after reading your original post here, took a look at Pakuni itself. I wasn't
and still am not terribly impressed with the language itself -- it is a reasonably good
commercial grade product, well worth the money the producers spent and got the job
done, etc. but it really is nothing to write home about!

You point being?

> Pakuni is right up there with
> the conlangs and proto-conlangs (artificial language pheonomena) of Gargantua,
> Gulliver, Burroughs, Klingon, Dark Crystal, and Na'vi in the history of
> mainstream conlangs.

Arguable. Certainly it is not the calibre of Klingon or Na'vi. There is probably more to it
than Barsoomian or Skeksis. I would certainly say that Dothraki, invented as it was by an
actual conlanger, probably outclasses them all on artistic, gut-level rankings; but in matters
of completeness and expanse, clearly Pakuni is beaten by Klingon (and possible Na'vi).

> I've found that tons of people remember Pakuni, even
> in Hollywood, and many of them are aware that it was a made-up language.  This
> is my position from doing research on conlangs and proto-conlangs, and it seems
> to have some reflection in the Dothraki guy's blogs (can't remember his
> name - yet - it's coming), as well as those of Conlang Librarian, Langmaker,
> and other online historians of conlangs, as well as some I've found in
> books.  So nothing I've found negates that.

There really is no question that Pakuni hás a(n interesting) place in the annals of
conlanging history. The only question, really, is why you insist on such a central and
high place for it. That I don't think is warranted. But that's really a matter of personal
opinion!

> # A summary of decipherment contributions over the years

What would really be nice to see is a collaborative and reasonably authoritative grammar
and lexicon for this conlang. There are a lot "sources" out there somewhere --including this
grammar by Fromkin that everyone talks about, but so far no one has really made much of
a useful collation of all that data.

I'm sure this must be a goal of the decipherment community, and it's clear that,
whatever our particular differences of opinion might be, you lot have the energy and passion
for it!

> # Things that need to be done for Pakuni
>
> I, sigh, want to welcome anyone who wants to make a decipherment contribution.

To be honest, that aspect of it is not for me. I've said to Thomas a number of times
that I have no actual interest in the language itself. I truly appreciate his (and your
and the others') work on it, though! My interest is simply to document the essential
facts about the language and point out the resources available. To that end, I wrote
and continue to edit the Pakuni article at Frath Wiki.

> The effort especially needs someone to compare Pakuni to Kwa languages and
> figure out its relationship to them.

This I think is putting the cart before the horse. You all don't really even have a solid
and authoritative description of the conlang as it stands! Get the facts documented,
then work on interpretation!

> I compared it to Modern Akan and found
> that to Modern Akan it's like German is to English.  She applied regular
> sound change rules of some complexity (with multiple steps, like German vs.
> English) to derive her words.  Because she mentions other Kwa languages, someone
> would have to work on all of those, too.

Sounds like a promising direction, though.

> Also, it'd be cool if someone
> could machine-analyze all of the spoken dialogue and determine exactly what
> allophones the actors were saying.

I've talked about this with Alexander. You can take this for what little it's worth:
you're dealing with actors, not native language speakers. In my opinion, I think
this will be a futile exercise that will yield no actual data. If Fromkin mentioned
nothing about "allophones", then chances are good that actors will know nothing
at all about them. What you're really dealing with there is simply the vagaries of
how relatively ill-prepared actors are realising the pronunciation of a rather simple
made-to-order conlang. In other words, I think you're reading too deeply into it!

> (Wish-list.)  It'd also be cool if
> someone could then take Fromkin's conlang-creation method and expand the
> language to about 10,000 words. :D

You'd be guilty of doing what Laurel did. Or adding a hat and raincoat to the Mona Lisa.

If you're going to do something like that, me I'd rather see you -- yes you! -- come up with your
own secondary creation, create your own conlangs, give them your own peoples and
tell us your own stories! If you have the passion for a B-rate tv conlang, I can only wonder
what wonders you could come up with on your own!

> Then, if we could have a complete set of
> scriptures comparable to that of Sanskrit, giving all all the cultural, poetic,
> and linguistic phenomena we could ever want, that would be nice.

Wishful thinking!

Again, you're asking WAY too much. This is a kids' tv show that features some
rather simplistic hominids -- it's not an anthro text book, it's not a Bible study.

What you're asking for in this instance simply is not there. There is nothing to base
all this on and anything so created would really just be someone else's work. You're
asking someone to write Cicero when they only have a Latin I text to work from!

>I never
> finished "The Shepherd's Journal" for Atlantean, but I am a good
> way done on it, though it's a bit short.  What else ?  Oh, there's tons
> of stuff that professionally-trained Linguists could do with Pakuni and which
> would be welcome.

Sure. Any reasonably good conlanger còuld "do something" with Pakuni. But not
many would. What would be the point? I wouldn't touch it (leastways not for free!)
cos it's not mine.

> I think that Fromkin included several kinds of Speech Errors
> in the Pakuni corpus along with Assimilation and Hunter's Taboo
> Deformation.

Possible, though from conversation with Thomas, I am not entirely convinced.

I continue to think you're reading way too much into Fromkin's work here. She wasn't
contracted to devise a Complete World -- she was contracted to make a language for
a kind of people that already had a world around them. I think one of the design goals
was linguistic simplicity, such that children watching the show could learn the language.
That goal does not lend itself well to supposedly built-in speech errors and tabu
replacement! Not impossible, but really not very likely given what this language
actually is.

> Also, if someone were to establish the way to match Pakuni to the
> Kwa languages, it would allow for an even better decipherment of the corpus, as
> I've heard from Alexander that some words in the corpus are still not
> covered by Fromkin's lexicon.

If there is a relationship, sure.

> As far as my claims to "firsts" on Pakuni, my corpus of Pakuni is much
> more detailed than Barr's and I think scholastically rigorous and useful to
> decipherers (the first decipherment listed following a transcription was my best
> guess, the rest are in no particular order).  It's also less readable
> because I include a lot of essential context, as well as a bunch of other
> stuff.

That's a problem. I read a lot of the files you posted, and quite honestly, there is
a lot of fluff. A lot of irrelevant depictions of what you're seeing on the screen.
There's certainly a lot of useful information in there, though.

> The entire thing is machine-readable and searchable with Word like a
> concordance.  I marked each deciphered word with / // or /// to make its degree
> of certainty in my mind, and all abbreviations are explained at the top of the
> document, and so on and so forth.

That at least is a plus. It gives some reassurance to others working on the same
problems -- if two people come up with a similar decipherment and are pretty
sure of it, then perhaps it's a good decipherment!

> Compare for yourself.  Aside from the corpus
> and the writings I've done trying to make more accessible everyone's
> decipherment efforts, I haven't done much that hasn't already been done
> in some form.  I think I am the first professionally-trained Linguist to work on
> Pakuni since Fromkin, which is depressing and frustatrating.

You have a PhD in linguistics? Not that it really matters. Most people don't
toss their academic weight around like that.

> My mentor in
> college told me Fromkin was on his PhD committee and he took several classes
> from her.
>
> Everybody's work on Pakuni has been really awesome.

To be quite fair: when we scrape off the fluff and disregard the personal angst and
delusions of religious persecution, your work is no less awesome that I can see!

> I do have criticisms
> and notes on each which I put in my book which people who enjoy conlanging may
> appreciate.  I try to draw lines where someone's work developing Pakuni
> resulted in a proto-conlang or conlang.

This I agree with. When you take someone else's work and develop a new language
from it, it ceases being the language you were trying to decipher and document in the
first place. This is where I disagree with some of your wish-list items above.

> Because I've been receiving a lot
> of lack of appreciation for my insights on the Pakuni-associated conlangs,
> I'd like to say some positive things about them.  Laurel's developed
> words are very, very clever for a non-Linguist, and I've studied a number of
> proto-conlangs by non-Conlangers.  Very clever.  LL 90s pseudo-Pakuni I
> haven't looked at so closely, I think it's based on English, Latin,
> gibberish, and some 70s Pakuni.  Jorma's Pakuni has its moments, too.  It
> seems to be highly idiomatic, more than any language I've studied.  I think
> he made / woman masa / into / shadow hag manusa / using an infix -nu-, which I
> found interesting.  (For all of this, I'm going off memory, so the exact
> details are in my book.)  I think the few words he made up himself were based on
> English or just gibberish-sounding words.  / apple margala / is probably based
> on Margarita, maybe Gala apples.

(:

> None of the people who made or developed Pakuni were conlangers as I know the
> type from Conlang List and Zompist Bboard.

Once you make a language, you become a conlanger! By definition. Fromkin started
out a mere linguist, and through the crucible of Pakuni has joined the ranks of the
glossopoet.

> The big non-Conlanger move for Fromkin was basing it on Modern Akan instead of
> something from Neanderthal times.

That's a rather bizarre statement. As a linguist -- a person who knows pretty well that
no one knows anything at all about what Neanderthals said or even whether they spoke
a language or not -- she did the right thing in not speculating in that direction. Certainly
she could have worked entirely from imagination and created a language ex nihilo. She
chose, apparently, to base her work on a natural language. That's nothing to complain
about, and given the nature of the project, was an ideal choice. A language not known
to most of the show's audience and one which has some interesting features that could
be built up into a language that would please the producers.

> Alexander is very adamant that the Pakuni are aliens

That's not really how I understood him, but whatever.

>but the show's creators in interview after interview say they were
> supposed to be "the missing link", like a Neanderthal or Cro-Magnon
> man or something like this, a monkey-man.  There's no implications of
> anything else, by Gerrold or anyone.  So having them speak a modern relative of
> Modern Akan is not a move I'd attribute to a Conlanger.

Let's not overstate matters here: it's a tv show, not a history or an anthro text book!
The producers approached a linguist saying something like, hey, can you create a
language for a bunch of ape-men? Again, you're reading way too much into her
choice. There is no *in world* relationship between Modern Akan and Pakuni!
If there is anything to the connection at all, it is simply one of artistic inspiration!

> Like the Dothraki
> guy says on his blog, all mainstream conlangers before him and Tolkein were just
> Linguists hired to make conlangs, not Conlangers, people who know how to make
> Conlangs because of their study and creation of them.

Can you point to your source for this? This doesn't sound like what David most
likely said...

> It's a learned skill,
> this is something I argue for in my book.  On this list at least, my ideas of
> who's a Conlanger and who's not and what Conlangs should do have met
> with some resistance, but they shouldn't.  They're concepts for
> discussion, I'm trying to discuss the topics in question using the terms and
> the phenomena.

I'd certainly be interested in hearing your thoughts about these things, outside
the context of this thread on Pakuni.

> One point I try to make in my book is that the people in Hollywood should hire
> Conlangers, not Linguists who are not Conlangers, because the latter do not know
> how to do it right.

This I'd agree wholeheartedly on! This is one reason why the LCS has set itself up as
a clearinghouse for people -- Hollywood types and others who are interesting in having
a conlang made -- to hire actual conlangers (whether they are conlangers who are also
linguists, or just conlangers who are artists but non-linguists) to do these jobs!

> Conlanging is its own set of knowledge and experience.  I
> also continue with topics brought up in previous works of mine on the history of
> conlangs, that Conlangs are like natural languages in not being re-lexes of
> English and having their own grammar.  I call "proto-conlangs" made-up
> words which don't have a grammar.

I think the usual term for that is "naming language". You know, just basically a list of
nouns and verbs without any kind of glue.

A proto-conlang is simply a putative ancestor of a current conlang. For example, the
proto-conlang behind Avantimannish would ultimately be Thietish, an ancestral form
of the former.

>Anyway :
>
> These guys and me also have a reference grammar and lexicon that Fromkin made
> which Alexander says is not complete.  But get ahold of it if you're
> interested, nothing online that I could find matches it.

It would be very nice if the information in that reference grammar could itself be put on
line. I know you guys have been working hard at deciphering words and so forth, but surely
there's a lot of authoritatively known data in that grammar of Fromkin's??

> I hope to make a website for the Pakuni decipherment effort to guide people to all the contributions.

When you do, I'd be happy to link to it at Frath Wiki. The more solid information about a
conlang like this, the better!

> I'm working on a bunch of documents on Pakuni.  I hope to get them online,
> maybe post the link here, in the future.  I hope to add to future decipherment
> contributions to this place so that they're all available at one Box
> account.
>
> Thomas Alexander's going to post something on Feb 1 and again on March 1 on
> Fiat Lingua.

That's now been done, and the link posted. Let us know when you get yours up!

Padraic