Monospaced Font

CONLANG  March 2014, Week 3

CONLANG March 2014, Week 3

Re: Forty Rules for Pronouncing Written Angosey

And Rosta <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2014 20:05:29 +0000

Alex Fink, On 17/03/2014 18:49:
> As I responded offlist, one of my little crusades in phonology is
> that in natlangs that have them, clicks come in full systems with
> varying accompaniment i.e. phonation and manner, not just
> isolatedly.

The probable-conlang Damin apart, I can't think of a counterexample to that. But can we be sure this not just (a relic of) an areal feature?

In Livagian, whose phonology is neither patently engelangy nor based on natlang models, there are four clicks, one for each of the four Place series. They are phonetically nasal. Phonologically they behave like obstruent nasals, which means they don't bear tone.

--And.