CONLANG  March 2014, Week 3

CONLANG March 2014, Week 3

Re: Forty Rules for Pronouncing Written Angosey

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Mar 2014 11:06:24 -0400

On Wed, 19 Mar 2014 08:42:48 -0400, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> On Mon, 17 Mar 2014 09:11:16 -0400, Daniel Bowman <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>> >This ambiguity is not an issue in Angosey script, where the emotive aspect
>> >is spelled using the first two glyphs on the first line and the partitive
>> >suffix is written using the 12th glyph from left on the first line.
>> >The document I'm referring to is this one:
>> >http://www.unc.edu/~haksaeng/angosey/angosey_script.pdf (same as what I
>> >sent you offlist).
>> >I will write up a nicer one soon.
>>
>> Ah, I was hoping you'd post that!  There is a nice reconstruction problem
>> here, if you don't mind my stating it.

(Shame no-one else has bitten, though...)

>Correct. Sorry my responses are delayed - it's a busy time of the semester
>but I want to keep progress on this, however slow.
>
>I've put clearer versions online:
>http://www.unc.edu/~haksaeng/angosey/angosey_ceremonial_script.pdf
>http://www.unc.edu/~haksaeng/angosey/angosey_runic_script.pdf

What is the value of "au"?  I didn't see it in your forty rules, so is it just [A.V]?

>> Many of the characters in the two scripts look similar enough that one
>> wants to see them as conworld-internally deriving from a common ancestor.
>>  How might one reconstruct this ancestor?
>
>One possibility is that literacy was restricted to a very small class of
>people: Temple scribes and royal clerks.  A writing system was legislated
>similar to how hangeul arose in the Choseon dynasty - one version for
>calligraphy with brushes (ceremonial) and another for large volumes of
>writing (runic).  We can see relatively clear relationships between the two
>in some cases (for example, "OU"), but divergence in others ("AY"), which
>suggests some inconsistency - one thought I had was that written records
>were (accidentally or intentionally) destroyed at least once.  This would
>require reconstruction of the writing system by the two different classes
>(priestly and clerk), and imperfect recollection could lead to dissimilar
>characters.  However, Angosey spelling is invariant almost without
>exception, which is hard to explain using the above scenario.

Yeah, this seems a stretch to me.  What it seems you would need for this to work is not the simple destruction of some written records, but the destruction of the entire tradition of writing.  If the aftermath of some tumult was merely that the great libraries or archives or whatever had burned down, the literate would still go on writing tomorrow as they had yesterday.  On the other hand, if things got bad enough that writing simply ceased to be practiced, as happened in Mycenaean Greece in the Bronze Age collapse ~1200BC, I wouldn't expect the society's lot to turn around quickly enough for imperfect memory of the original writers to be relevant, but rather that these writers would be long dead.  E.g. in Greece the new script after a hiatus of some three centuries was entirely different even in principle to the old, the Phoenecian-derived alphabet supplanting the old defective-syllabary-with-scattered-logograms Linear B.   (Though to be honest I suppose if there wère gaps of your sort in the historic record they might be overlookable.)

I expect there are less violent ways to achieve your ends!  Ordinary graphic evolution should be up to the job.  I will focus on the medial forms, because the initial forms look to be fairly clearly recently arisen (maybe from fusion of an old interpunct?).

For instance, there are some correspondences (<a, ay, d, h, hh, k, q, n, r, s> might be instances) in which the ceremonial has a little (or in <a, r, s> not so little) counterclockwise curl at the bottom without a counterpart in the runic.  It could be that the historical shapes were more like the runic ones, and these curls were added as like a filter in ceremonialisation, replacing forms that otherwise woulda just had a straight vertical line (or something) there.

In the other direction, cases where the runic is simpler than the ceremonial could result from case where the historical shapes were more like the ceremonial ones but a cursive, heavily reduced variant displaced the original in the runic script.  Something like this could be behind <i, o, eo, d>, maaaybe <g, m> etc.

Or, some developments in one script could have been adopted to differentiate two letters, which was done differently or not at all in the other.  This is e.g. what the identity of <eo, h> in runic but not in ceremonial suggests to me.  Maybe in the proto-script <eo, h> were identical or fell together, as more or less a simple line, and this is preserved in runic.  In early ceremonial, after the curl rule acted, maybe they both looked like current ceremonial <h>.  But it was later felt they had to be differentiated in ceremonial, and this was done by making the end of the bottom curl of <eo> longer, bringing it up again through the stem.

Proto-<hh> could have been a diacriticked form of <h> (maybe even earlier they weren't distinguished in writing?): maybe it was a shorter horizontal on top of a longer one.  Then in runic the two strokes got connected up, while in ceremonial the diacritic stayed separate, ending up on the left, and its presence was enough to prevent the action of the top curling rule.  And <k, kh> could have identical in the proto-script, with a more <k>-like form, if the differentiation process went differently in the two scripts: <kh> was distinguished in runic by adding this curly diacritic on the right but in ceremonial by whether the top was curly or straight.  Maybe those two ceremonial forms were originally just alloglyphs, like Roman U and V.

And so on.

Alex