CONLANG  March 2014, Week 4

CONLANG March 2014, Week 4

A History of Angosian Language and Society

Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:07:48 -0400

Although Angosey's been in existence for about 15 years, I've never provided a clear history of how it came to be.  With Alex's interest in reconstructing the script, this is a perfect time to bring together the threads and produce a coherent narrative.  With the help of a nice long run in the forest, I think I have something that works.  Here, we read a report by George Lucero, Professor of Angosian Studies at the University of New Angayus, Angayus.

A HISTORY OF ANGOSIAN LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY
by George Lucero
March 22, 2356

The discovery of this planetary system, and the universe it inhabits, represents one of the greatest in our humanity's hundred thousand year history.  I say "our" humanity, because, of course, a parallel human history also took place on this planet.  This history spans far larger time scales, and contains events so strange that even I hesitate to put them in print.

First, though, a few words are in order for those unfamiliar with the geology and climate of Anga.  Many immigrants from Earth have commented that the weather and landscape are magnified, perhaps by a factor of ten or so.  Mountains are higher, and the best estimates of the highest one on the planet range from 25 to 35 kilometers.  The planet is very geologically active with many regions of earthquake and volcanic activity.  Although the planet has dozens of moons, the tides are much smaller than expected, usually only about 30 meters on average, though they vary on a day to day basis.  The climate is extremely variable from year to year, with the axial tilt and even length of year undergoing wild variations.  This deviation is predictable out to several years in the future, but not beyond - a fact that plays a prominent role in the rise and fall of civilizations.  Concerning the inevitable objections that Earth-based scientists will raise about the impossibility of this place:   I am told that the discoverers of Yellowstone were ridiculed, the observers of bioluminescent life in the deep were doubted as well, etc, and we must not let such doubts concern us here.  I hope that the Earth scientists can one day see for themselves.  Until then, I offer them this.

While the studies of exoarcheaology and teleolinguistics are still in their infancy, we can still draw broad conclusions about the early human history of Anga.  Recognizably "modern" humans have existed here for several million Earth years, if not longer; the lack of evolutionary development during this time is still quite puzzling.  However, we know nothing about their customs, language, and society, as they left precious few artifacts behind.  It appears that they existed as nomadic bands of hunter-gatherers with a combined population of perhaps ten million.  Here, I note that the land surface of Anga is about twenty times that of Earth: this should give some indication of the sparseness of human habitation during the prehistorical period.

About fifty thousand Earth years ago, small scale agricultural societies arose in protected regions of the planet.  Several of the sites we have been able to access and excavate showed signs of early writing.  The writing appears to be simple tallies of agricultural products and real estate transactions.  However, in one site (the modern day native city of Streydan), a pivotal event changed the course of Angosian civilization.  A source about 300 years later speaks of an "angel" (Angosey:  al kayetana) appearing to a village woman.  Over the course of the next twenty years, the angel instructed her on the method of forecasting the weather based on the positions of the  27 other planets visible in the night sky, and charged her to keep careful track of their position over time.  When her forecasts proved correct, her followers inscribed the first corpus of writing found on the planet-a rudimentary formula for calculating the length of the following year based on precisely timed observations.

The ability to predict the broad weather trends a year in advance greatly increased agricultural productivity in the region, and a civilization called "pre-Streydan" was born.  The city of proto-Streydan was built in the bluffs across the river from the present city's location.  The village of proto-Hatuley arose by the sea, and all up and down the river valley, small collections of dwellings began to emerge.  The predictors disseminated their yearly forecasts possibly by means of clay tablets, as some such objects have been discovered in strata dating from this period.

The increasingly sophisticated mathematical developments and flourishing religious practice demanded a less cumbersome writing system, and thus within about half a millennium a "proto-runic" script was developed.  This script was suitable for embossing into clay, and was also increasingly used to write on stone monuments and papyrus-like scrolls (although few examples of these survive).  Due to the extreme importance of the information encoded in this script, it is believed that a very high percentage of the population was literate (perhaps as much as 20%, even in the early stages of pre-Streydan).  As a result, the writing was widely adopted, possibly with modifications to accommodate local language variations.

About a thousand years later, the cities of Streydan and Hatuley were quite large, with upwards of a hundred thousand people in each.  The "proto-ceremonial" Angosey script seems to date from around this time, but its genesis is unclear.  Some theories propound, for example, that the priests in charge of predicting the climate became concerned about their privileged knowledge being disseminated.  The fact that the actual language used in the religious and mathematical texts at that time appears to have become relatively static; the spelling and grammar modifications that previous centuries had encoded ceased occurring.  One school of thought on this is that Angosey became a sort of liturgical, ritual language, divorced from the evolution of the vulgate surrounding it.

One thousand years after that, the remarkably stable Streydan-Hatuley empire had reached the technological level of the late twentieth century on Earth.  Advances in transportation allowed a massive expansion of the human species, and cities began to crop up across the globe.  The population density was much lower than Earth's was in a similar stage of development, but it is likely that a series of nation-states occupied various parts of the planet.  Records are scarce, likely because much of the communication at that time was on perishable paper-like products as opposed to the more durable clay of earlier eras.

What happened after that would forever be a mystery if it were not for the discovery of the quartz globes at Ankhalasay.  Thirty-five of the forty eight orbs were destroyed in a geological lab as the scientists there attempted to ascertain the date of the samples.  The thirty sixth, however, was scanned using a laser to try and determine the nature of the cloudy inclusions present inside of it.  It was then that the investigators discovered an entire book encoded via the radon transform, and that is how we have the twelve texts that told us so much about both the technological and scientific prowess of that age as well as the swiftness of its fall.

One orb was apparently a textbook on harmonic analysis, with innovations in pure math that were not realized until the 22nd century on Earth.  Another was a recounting of the religious rituals still observed.  Others dealt with scientific observations; one was a series of ballads and the final orb was apparently a novel.  In any case, there was no indication of the sudden calamity ahead, and this is perhaps the best evidence we have of its swiftness.  Arguments as to what actually happened range from scientific (sudden climate change) to the supernatural.  This article will not speculate on the actual event.  Rather, it is clear that, whatever it was, it utterly destroyed the global civilization.  Over 99% of the population perished.

For the next four thousand years, the climate apparently remained steady, no longer varying as it had before.  Some accounts from that period indicate that there was perpetual day, or that the sky was obscured.  The Angosian liturgical writings of this period are almost universally laments.  Scientific and mathematical knowledge declined.

The steadiness of the climate permitted a relatively rapid recovery, and by the second millennium a new empire (middle Streydan) occupied the region.  During this consolidation, the extant versions of runic and ceremonial script were gathered and codified.  The final, standardized orthography was transmitted virtually without modification down to the modern day in the temples, and the secret language of the Angosey does not seem to have changed substantially during that time either.  While estimates of global population are difficult to come by, they generally agree around 100 million.  The level of technology reached approximately the equivalent of 14th century Earth.

The second great crisis in the human history of Anga occurred because the climate switched from the steady state back to the wild variations of four thousand years earlier.  While human population dropped by about half, knowledge of the ancient texts permitted some societies to remain relatively stable.  This stage (late Streydan), has persisted up until contact from Earth, about six thousand years later.

The stability of Angosey and the Angosian writing systems over ten thousand years is nothing short of remarkable.  Most authors attribute this to the ritual use of the language and the life-or-death immediacy Angosian knowledge had during most of human history on the planet.  However, the language and the writing system did evolve considerably before the middle-Streydan epoch, suggesting that the tongue was in more common use prior to that time.