CONLANG  March 2014, Week 4

CONLANG March 2014, Week 4

The Ulrimate Conlang Experiment

Matthew DeBlock <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Mar 2014 03:21:16 -0400

I saw a post about a conscript in a RPG and it got me thinking

MMORPGs are just "interactive conworlds".. so I wonder... how about an RPG designed to promote in-game conlanging. With the right design one might be able to "force them to do it"

Make it so you can speak through a microphone, but every player is generated their own random "scrambling algorithm" so that no one can understand each other.. that way they all have to "start from scratch" trying to find ways to teach each other what they mean..

ie. when I say "they are here" it becomes "gwa eji hoji", but when you say "they are here" we all hear "ki otu datu" etc..

When I say something it is first "scrambled" by my algorithm, and then before you hear it is also scrambled by your algorithm(reversed for listening)

That way there is an "in game oral version" but none of us actually hear the in game version, we all just hear our own version.

If I tried speaking, for example, plain English, not only would it come out as something different, but everyone would hear it differently each in their own "tongue", that way even if players congregated in real life, they would not understand each others version. This would prevent "out of game linguistic organization".

We would all be starting from scratch like a bunch of babies with no spoken language at all. We would see a rabbit, for example, and we have our own word for it, but to others it just sounds like a babies gibberish. (of course we do have linguistic lexicon, but its rather hard to imagine a way of "setting that aside", other than ensuring a good mix of players from diverse cultural and linguistic backgrounds)

Ill bet if the world was big enough there would even be regional languages and dialects

The main risk would be that "linguistic lords" arise. One person might be able to get everyone else to learn form them, and this one person could just speak plain English, for example, and everyone else would just learn their own phonetically adjusted version of English. But this should be easy enough to stop if the GMs(Game Masters) keep an eye out, they could even use some voice recognition software to identify people who might be inputting plain English, then review that person, and if they are, penalize them in some way, or just re-randomize their scrambler to set them back to zero from an in-game perspective.

Writing would be more difficult, perhaps just disallow all text based communication.

Or make it so you cannot write text but must "draw it out through the game interface".. but you would have to ensure the writing system makes it extremely difficult or nearly impossible to write in existing languages.. some kind of creative imaginary writing tools.. 3d perhaps.. or some kind of complicated system where it scrambles visual elements like it does for language.

Of course the biggest risk would be players organizing outside of the game and using chat software. But this could perhaps be mitigated by never allowing a player to see how their character looks, or scrambling the looks of characters like the language so they could not identify each other.

Maybe some people could search out geographic locations and set meeting points to find each other. A large enough world, with multiple "universes" and random placement in a universe would help

Technologically adept users might read their internet traffic and be able to identify which server IP their universe is in, then friends would keep making characters until they are in the same universe. this could be hindered by restricting number of character creation per account, in total or per time period. Maybe even just one character per account, and auto-detect suspicious behaviour that would indicate multiple accounts form the same user, then handle such "rule breaking" on a case by case basis.

It would also be easy enough to auto-detect "clans", groups of people who are often playing together, by simply identified characters that spend alot of time geographically near each other. And have the GMs go around checking them out, if a group is very co-ordinated,  to the point where it is clear there must be some communication, but they are not speaking in-game, just split them up and send their characters into different universes.

Long story short, I think the idea would be really cool, and might even provide some insight into the natural evolution of human language. Imagine watching several languages start evolving in the various regions of the world.. then they might start mixing, borrowing words/grammar, etc.. perhaps as the world ages eventually there comes about the rise of some "universal tongue". Maybe kingdoms go to war, and the victor forces their language on the loser, but the losers still secretly hold on to their original language, or it turns into a "class identifier" with the losing nation members having a hybrid or distorted dialect which serves as a means of "class segregation"

a fun day-dream anyway. I see no real reason why it would not work from a software perspective, and the MMORPGs out there already employ large groups to GMs to micro-manage certain elements of the game.. so from everything I know it might be feasible. I am however not a professional game coder, nor do I understand the economics of the game industry, so perhaps it's not viable.

But it is pretty to cool to think about what might happen.. maybe someday.. maybe someday