Monospaced Font

CONLANG  March 2014, Week 4

CONLANG March 2014, Week 4

Re: A History of Angosian Language and Society

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 23 Mar 2014 11:25:32 -0400

On Sat, 22 Mar 2014 23:07:48 -0400, Daniel Bowman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Although Angosey's been in existence for about 15 years, I've never provided a clear history of how it came to be. With Alex's interest in reconstructing the script, this is a perfect time to bring together the threads and produce a coherent narrative. With the help of a nice long run in the forest, I think I have something that works. Here, we read a report by George Lucero, Professor of Angosian Studies at the University of New Angayus, Angayus.

Very interesting!

>First, though, a few words are in order for those unfamiliar with the geology and climate of Anga.

Hm, Angayus is on the planet Anga. It sounds like you've learned Justin B Rye's Lesson Seven of Xenolinguistics! :-p
[http://www.xibalba.demon.co.uk/jbr/lingo.html]

>About fifty thousand Earth years ago, small scale agricultural societies arose in protected regions of the planet. Several of the sites we have been able to access and excavate showed signs of early writing. The writing appears to be simple tallies of agricultural products and real estate transactions.

So, following the seeming path of least resistance of development of writing on Earth, this will probably be the stages of development from "proto-writing" to logography to a complex script where the logograms begin to be used for sound value alone.

>However, in one site (the modern day native city of Streydan), a pivotal event changed the course of Angosian civilization. A source about 300 years later speaks of an "angel" (Angosey: al kayetana) appearing to a village woman. Over the course of the next twenty years, the angel instructed her on the method of forecasting the weather based on the positions of the 27 other planets visible in the night sky,

Ah, is this something to do with the origin of the Angosey base 28, then? What's a "planet", and is there (exactly) one celestial luminary that's not reckoned among them? (A sun? Anga itself, if their cosmology was advanced enough then to see it as of the same kind?)

>The increasingly sophisticated mathematical developments and flourishing religious practice demanded a less cumbersome writing system, and thus within about half a millennium a "proto-runic" script was developed.

This will then be the point in time at which the script descends to alphabetic from whatever it was before (syllabic, or something even hairier?). Now why would these developments have motivated an _alphabet_, specifically?

On the religious practice side, I could see the story that correct Angosey pronunciation of the rituals etc. was considered essential, but the script as it was imprecise about phonemics and didn't provide close enough guidance to the subtleties, and so some very precise, segment-by-segment system was innovated. (Compare the use of vowel pointing in Semitic scripts. Maybe also compare the remarkable way the Vedic speakers developed phonology before even literacy, out of concern for their scared texts, and so were able to put their alphabet in the right order when they did acquire it.)

On the mathematical side, certainly advanced mathematics wants a system of writing to suit, but pronunciation isn't one of its major concerns; in general these concerns are having symbolic ways to express mathematical objects and operations, sleeker and lighter-weight than just writing them out in sentences, and without awkwardnesses like the subtractive business in Roman numerals, so that they serve as a useful aid manipulation and abstract thinking.
One element of this system will be a proper system of notation for numbers, but you've already got that well covered if writing arose from a tally system for economic transations. Beyond that, another big development is a notation for _variables_, so you don't just have to rely on giving a unique comprehensible name to each object or quantity in your problem, possibly supplemented by your language's deictic strategies. Here in western Europe things like the = and + signs were also advances, but in a logography the word used for "equals" already serves as an = sign so that's probably not a hurdle.

Offlist on pi day you were saying that early Angosey mathematics was much more differential-geometric than here, that they were really into curves and such. I wonder what influence that had.

>About a thousand years later, the cities of Streydan and Hatuley were quite large, with upwards of a hundred thousand people in each. The "proto-ceremonial" Angosey script seems to date from around this time, but its genesis is unclear. Some theories propound, for example, that the priests in charge of predicting the climate became concerned about their privileged knowledge being disseminated. The fact that the actual language used in the religious and mathematical texts at that time appears to have become relatively static; the spelling and grammar modifications that previous centuries had encoded ceased occurring. One school of thought on this is that Angosey became a sort of liturgical, ritual language, divorced from the evolution of the vulgate surrounding it.

Yeah, "becoming static" I think is a good sign that Angosey was dead, at least measured by whether it was anyone's first language. We see something like this, I think, when Akkadian takes over from Sumerian as spoken language, but Sumerian survives as ritual / classical language.

In fact, if Angosey got vèry stable here, that's good evidence that it wasn't closely related to the vernacular, because if there was such a relation then changes in the vernacular could percolate through to Angosey, like what we see with Medieval Latin spoken alongside the Romance languages.
Such a lack of a close relation is still conceivable, I think, given your story. There's room for more than one aboriginal language along the Streydan-Hatuley riparial, and one of them could have been conserved ritually / classically while another took over from it in everyday use.

Now, as for whether the proto-ceremonial script was intended as a crypto-script, to protect priestly esoterica: I think that if this had been their aim they could have done much worse than just making an isomorphic alphabet to the pre-runic one! For instance, if the religious initiates remained familiar with the old texts they could have plumped for a revival of the old logography; logographs take ages to learn and that would have kept prying eyes out quite effectively. Perhaps crypto-scripts did spring up, but in view of the structural similarities my reconstruction is based on, my first impulse is that ceremonial is not such; the more down-to-earth hypothesis that it arose as just a decorative, calligraphic variant gets my plausibility vote. Of course it could well have helped with hiding secrets later on, e.g. after the cataclysm when outside familiarity with the Angosey cult(?) was lost.

Actually, quasi-related question: did the Angosey scripts have a (shared) alphabetic order? If they did, that would have quite a large influence on the later realignment of ceremonial with contemporary runic.

>One thousand years after that, the remarkably stable Streydan-Hatuley empire

Remarkably stable -- aw, what fun is that? :-p There's a systemic bias in conworlds, I think, that not enough hàppens in history, that paging forward a thousand years leaves things looking far too much the same. Even if the Roman civilisation existed both in the 5th century BC and the 5th AD, even if the Byzantines did in the 5th and 15th centures, quite a lot of internal and external changes happened between then. (There's a TVTropes page on this, but I couldn't find it, and I don't mind; I wouldn't want to be the sort of person who knows the TVTropes name for everything...)

It's partially in response to this sort of stuff that Rosenfelder made his historical atlases, http://zompist.com/history.htm ; this might be an exercise worth undertaking for Anga at some point, if you get there.

>had reached the technological level of the late twentieth century on Earth. Advances in transportation allowed a massive expansion of the human species, and cities began to crop up across the globe. The population density was much lower than Earth's was in a similar stage of development, but it is likely that a series of nation-states occupied various parts of the planet. Records are scarce, likely because much of the communication at that time was on perishable paper-like products as opposed to the more durable clay of earlier eras.

Or even more perishable electronic etc. formats! If they could make books-on-Radon-disk, they surely had at least enough electronics knowhow to make something to read them.

>One orb was apparently a textbook on harmonic analysis, with innovations in pure math that were not realized until the 22nd century on Earth. Another was a recounting of the religious rituals still observed. Others dealt with scientific observations; one was a series of ballads and the final orb was apparently a novel. In any case, there was no indication of the sudden calamity ahead, and this is perhaps the best evidence we have of its swiftness.

I'm no archaeologist but this does make me go "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"...

>The steadiness of the climate permitted a relatively rapid recovery, and by the second millennium a new empire (middle Streydan) occupied the region. During this consolidation, the extant versions of runic and ceremonial script were gathered and codified. The final, standardized orthography was transmitted virtually without modification down to the modern day in the temples,

This is good. I wonder if something like printing was (re?)introduced at this time or soon after, or if not printing at least some other technology or standard or whatnot that would stabilise the letterforms.

>The stability of Angosey and the Angosian writing systems over ten thousand years is nothing short of remarkable. Most authors attribute this to the ritual use of the language and the life-or-death immediacy Angosian knowledge had during most of human history on the planet. However, the language and the writing system did evolve considerably before the middle-Streydan epoch, suggesting that the tongue was in more common use prior to that time.

Too remarkable for me, at this point. If this was my mythos I'd probably divide the timescales after the first great cataclysm by five or so.

Why was the rate of technological development in the middle and late Streydan periods so much slower here than just after contact with the angel, especially given the old Angosian knowledge that the people retained? Why, for that matter, wouldn't they have translated the old Angosey writings into the common language of the time, removing the linguistic import of the "life-and-death immediacy" of the knowledge? If it's all because of the cult(?) surrounding the old Angosey materials, how did thàt remain so stable over centuries, much less millennia, so as to enable this?

Alex