CONLANG  March 2014, Week 4

CONLANG March 2014, Week 4

Re: Requirements for viable tactile scripts (was NailScript - Text as Tuff as Nails... Literally)

Matthew DeBlock <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Mar 2014 03:50:49 -0400

Very interesting..

I'm a non-braile-reader but a quick bit of research reveals "moon script" followers use curves and shapes, and "It is claimed by its supporters to be easier to understand than Braille, though it is mainly used by people who have lost their sight as adults, and thus already have knowledge of the shapes of letters."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_type

There are also several others similar systems
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tactile_alphabets_for_the_blind

I am no expert, but I will venture to guess that reason for Braille dominance could be attributed to

a) Mechanical simplicity.

a grid of dots means it is easy to design machines to type it. A simple "press" would just have to switch on and off 6 dots, whereas this other alternatives would require some form of "typewriter" like machine, which is mechanically more complex. many swinging arms is very troublesome, each arm must be calibrated to swing at a different angle, and they can easily get tangled up.

b)spacial efficiency

I would venture to guess a grid of dots allows for a maximum spacial efficient when factoring the tactile ability for distinction. I imagine there should be tests out there somewhere to prove the "comparative average reading accuracy/speed vs. spacial requirements of these scripts"

The mechanics are likely the prime factor, as Braille popularized itself well before computers and digital printing were common. I imagine factoring in today's technology there may be "room for improvement". We have all seen embossed business cards, and the embossing is as simple as drawing a graphics and saying "make the blue part embossed". It is cheap and easy nowadays. The common embossing on business cards might not provide enough definition of depth to compete, but i imagine the principle is easy enough, and hardware specialized enough that there is perhaps room for considering alternative methods now.

But then again, the articles also reference the fact that text-to-speech is slowly bringing down the usage of Braille to some degree. so perhaps it is one of those things where "yes we can do it better now.. but we also have a an ever better alternative.. so no one is bothering to improve and outdated technique"

------
I would add to your list of advantages the fact that it can be read by
blind people as well. I take this opportunity to ask something I've been
wondering about...

I want to create a tactile script, something like Braille but that uses not
only dots but also lines and other shapes in relief. Howeverm, I don't know
how viable is to read each type and combination of shapes in relief.

Are the Braille dots much easier to read than lines and other shapes. Two
or three lines crossing each other would be a problem to read? How
difficult or easy is to distinguish a curved from a sharp corner? Which
difference in the angle of a corner would be enough to characterize two
graphemes as different ones?

Are the Moon and Fishburne scripts easier or harder to read than Braille?

http://www.rnib.org.uk/professionals/accessibleinformation/accessibleformats/alttactileformats/Pages/moon_format.aspx

Até mais!

Leonardo