CONLANG  March 2014, Week 4

CONLANG March 2014, Week 4

Re: The Ulrimate Conlang Experiment

Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 25 Mar 2014 10:50:04 -0400

On Tue, 25 Mar 2014 03:21:16 -0400, Matthew DeBlock <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I saw a post about a conscript in a RPG and it got me thinking
>
>MMORPGs are just "interactive conworlds".. so I wonder... how about an RPG designed to promote in-game conlanging. With the right design one might be able to "force them to do it"

Keep in mind that people have choice, and given the large number of MMORPGs out there, anyone who would up playing this would probably have done so because they thought this conceit was interesting and worth trying out.  So I would imagine you don't have to twist players' arms, you don't have to play the Old Testament God and scatter people when their towers start looming too tall, nèarly as much as you're envisioning here.  If these artifices to preserving experiment conditions detract from fun too much, you won't have a player base for long!

>that way even if players congregated in real life, they would not understand each others version. This would prevent "out of game linguistic organization".

True, but this is not a good thing, as I see it.  If the underlying language(s) could be used in real life it would only help cement it / them as an important element of the fandom -- think of the Klingon / Na'vi / Dothraki fan communities.  It's an unfortunate corollary of your "every player has their own scrambling" technique that it prevents this.

>The main risk would be that "linguistic lords" arise. One person might be able to get everyone else to learn form them, and this one person could just speak plain English, for example, and everyone else would just learn their own phonetically adjusted version of English. But this should be easy enough to stop if the GMs(Game Masters) keep an eye out, they could even use some voice recognition software to identify people who might be inputting plain English, then review that person, and if they are, penalize them in some way, or just re-randomize their scrambler to set them back to zero from an in-game perspective.

Myself I wouldn't worry about this.  There will be at most one player out of probably hundreds or thousands in each dialect area whose game language ends up just being English, more likely zero.  Is it really worth the chilling effects of saying "we are monitoring everything you say and will exact punishments if we think you have too easy a time of it" on behalf of bringing probably a fraction of a percent of players in line with some ideal?

>Writing would be more difficult, perhaps just disallow all text based communication.

No, you have it precisely backwards here.  Doing transforms of the sort you envision on text is quite possible; I could probably knock out an algorithm for that in a day (though there would be glitches to smooth out).  Doing it on arbitrary spoken language from arbitrary users?  The error rates of current speech recognition techniques are still relatively high (watch some Youtube videos with the automatic captioning turned on if you need convincing), and what successes they do manage are due in no small part to having good, rich, _huge_ models of English against which the recogniser can do hidden Markov model matching and whatnot: that is, it "expects" to hear grammatical, felicious English and biasses its perception accordingly.  If you didn't have a model for the underlying language, as necessarily you wouldn't in the scenario you want, I suspect the poor accuracy of any speech recognition algorithm combined with the fact that what you hear is superficially nonsense even if it ìs working would have players write the whole system off as unusable immediately.

Perhaps you were envisioning not having to do speech recognition for your audio transforms?  The problem with that is that the sort of transformations that are easy to do on an audio stream naively -- change the speed, the pitch, put it through frequency filters and stuff -- do not change linguistic segments into different segments, much less similar sequences of segments into differently-composed sequences.  They do non-linguistic things: they make it sound like you've inhaled helium or are on the other side of a wall or whatnot.  If you gave everyone an extreme enough random scramble of _this_ sort, maybe one player could hear everyone else as chipmunks, another as vague thunderous rumbles, etc., in a way that wasn't apperceptible as English: but then is everyone supposed to spèak back in the same manner?

One case study I know of you might want to look at is the zombie groans in Urban Dead:
  http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Zombie_Speech_Translators
Kevan gave zombies a way to speak among themselves but subject to severe, lossy, mangling so that players couldn't just use English among themselves straightforwardly (and, of course, so the result sounded like zombie groans).  But in short order people figured out a coding mechanism so that they could recode English into groans that would pass unchanged through the mangling and be decoded on the other end.  If your transformation functions are anything too close to simple substitutions, the analogue of this would be liable to happen, I think.
Separately, see http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/Zamgrh !

>Of course the biggest risk would be players organizing outside of the game and using chat software. But this could perhaps be mitigated by never allowing a player to see how their character looks, or scrambling the looks of characters like the language so they could not identify each other.

What do appearances of characters have to do with anything?  Even if I knew everyone's avatar that wouldn't help me identify them in meatspace.

But, yeah, mild dark-pattern technical obstacles to using other chat apps at the same time probably wouldn't hurt.  You know, make the MMORPG window fullscreen and always in front, and make there be awkward in-world consequences of switching apps to an external IM client in the naive way, this sort of thing.

>Technologically adept users might read their internet traffic and be able to identify which server IP their universe is in, then friends would keep making characters until they are in the same universe.

But maybe I want to play with my friends.  Why mustn't I?
>It would also be easy enough to auto-detect "clans", groups of people who are often playing together, by simply identified characters that spend alot of time geographically near each other.

If there is going to be anything like enough stability for the experiment to succeed and languages to form, then the set of speakers of every variety are going to have to spend a lot of time geographically near each other.  So it seems there would be quite a large monitoring burden here.

Alex