PED-EM-L Archives

PED-EM-L@LISTSERV.BROWN.EDU

PED-EM-L Home

PED-EM-L  April 2014

PED-EM-L April 2014

Re: words and expectations

"Dr. Adam Friedlander" <[log in to unmask]>

Dr. Adam Friedlander

Thu, 3 Apr 2014 21:05:38 -0400

Hi all. Sounds like we are getting pretty intense about a fairly innocuous
subject. I don't see how this is any different than what one of my mentors
referred to as "scripting." We all do it - including the folks who think
they don't. Think about how you tell someone not to drive when taking
narcotics, or how you explain asthma to a family when talking about
steroids vs. bronchodilators. You probably say the same exact thing every
time. You don't do it to be fake - you just do it because this type of
routine helps you remember to say everything that you mean to say.

Now, of course, at least 10% of us are profoundly socially awkward (30%?).
If that is you, and cordial/reassuring statements to patients in
introduction sound awkward coming out of your mouth, then you need to
adjust. Everyone's script is different, but can have the same geshtalt. If
Dr. Brown was asking specifically about mandating that everyone say exactly
the same phrase, verbatim, then I think that would be super weird, but see
my geshtalt comment in the previous sentence.

As to what you choose to say when you walk in to a room, saying something
reassuring, like "you've come to the right place" or "we're going to take
[adjective] care of you," is totally reasonable. There is nothing
subversive, dishonest, or "McDonald's" about it. Even if you accidentally
take crappy care of someone, that doesn't mean your intentions were to do
that. I'd venture a guess that we all intend to be excellent at our jobs
every day, and I think it's ok to tell patients that. If you feel like
saying that is being manipulative, then the issue isn't with word choice.
 I also doubt anyone here would say the same thing to a nervous family vs.
the family a coding child vs. the family of a belligerent psych patient.

One caveat would be saying "thank god you came here and didn't go to the
other place down the street." That is unprofessional, clearly, but lots of
places that think they are the bees knees do that. Don't be that guy.

Adam

Adam D. Friedlander, MD, FAAEM
Nothside-Forsyth Emergency Department
Northside Emergency Associates