CONLANG  June 2014, Week 2

CONLANG June 2014, Week 2

Re: "Languages of the Soviet Union"/Siberian Languages

J P <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 8 Jun 2014 12:59:36 -0400

> Does anyone have opinions on Bernard Comrie's "Languages of the Soviet
> Union," or know better books on Russian languages that are not Russian?
(...)
> What I am really looking for is something that describes in some detail
> the language structures of the region.

For an overview, I suggest a paper by Gregory D. S. Anderson: "Towards a typology of the Siberian linguistic area"
http://www.livingtongues.org/docs/Siberia_Area_paper.pdf

Some other more specific typology papers from my collection that might also be useful—
Stefen Georg: Yeniseic Languages and the Siberian Linguistic Area
http://www.academia.edu/1018631/Yeniseic_Languages_and_the_Siberian_Linguistic_Area

René Schiering & Harry van der Hulst: Word accent systems in the languages of Asia
http://homepage.uconn.edu/~hdv02001/Articles-pdfs/134%20-%20Asia.pdf
(evidently actually a book chapter though I do not have the details at hand)

_j.