AUXLANG July 2014, Week 1

Re: How easy is Esperanto really?

Scott Raney <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 6 Jul 2014 10:37:20 -0600

On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 9:27 PM, Logan Streondj <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> thanks for replying to my message,
> I think we have a lot in common,
> and I hope that we can cooperate.

That is my hope as well.  While I'm not expecting much in the way of
actual programming help for building the generation system, kibitzing
on the design and implementation of it will always be welcome.

> I hope you can learn to understand that programming languages,
> and human languages are the different sides of the same coin.
> Horses are still horses, they are relatively the same.
> Currently with programming, it is like a whole zoo.

Part of the reason being that every programmer seems to think that
they're qualified to design their own language.  Exhibit A for that
being JavaScript, which was hacked together during a weekend coding
jag and has caused immeasurable pain and loss of productivity ever
since.  I hope to avoid repeating that mistake by *not* playing god
and completely defining the language at the start, but rather by
having *everyone* participate in the process, some by proposing new
ways of doing things and others rating the qualities (learnability,
precision, aesthetics, etc.) of the proposals.  This is based on my
belief that everyone has the tools hardwired into their brains to do
these things.

> The main "worrisome" aspect of your expressions, is that on the one hand
> you claim to support a direct-democracy approach with community,
> on the other you wish to suppress and destroy the existing ones, i.e. EO.
> This is a contradiction.

No, it isn't actually: There can only be one "law" for whether your
have to have your dog on a leash when walking on a city street, to be
defined by the people in that community.  Once that law has been
approved, all other proposals for laws regarding that situation will
have to be deprecated.  The same goes for The Auxlang which
ultimately, if we're successful, will actually be a legally defined
and approved system (i.e., an "official language" for communities with
different native languages to use when communicating).

And note that I'm not proposing anything like banning other conlangs,
which I see as an interesting and useful field of endeavor.  Only that
once the public has "voted" on one as The Auxlang (whether it be a
formal vote or merely "voting with their feet" by choosing to learn
one over another) the others must naturally revert to just being
conlangs and not auxlang candidates.

> Know that to speak unwell of another is hubris,
> and generally can only hurt the speaker.
> A good leader finds the good in others,
> compliments it, emphasizing it's value,
> and thus bringing out the best in them.

Good leaders like Hitler, Lenin/Trotsky, Mao, etc?  When you'll read
my book you'll see why I believe that "leadership" like this is to my
mind akin to simple manipulation and something that people ought to be
resistant to (and they must furthermore question and doubt anyone who
recommends *following* leaders like that).  I'm not trying to lead
anyone here, and propose something quite different: Providing tools so
that people can govern themselves *without* resorting to deferring to
leaders.

>> My mom always used to say "Nice guys have got cleat marks on their
>> faces".  FB/Google/Amazon/Microsoft/etc. didn't get where they are by
>> encouraging the competition...
>
> nor did they pay it much mind.
> The companies which tend be successful over the long term such as IBM,
> judge their progress based on their own previous achievements.
> Those that only wish to outdo the competition,
> get lazy once they are ahead.

I must admit that I don't understand IBM's success, other than to
appeal to that old saw about "nobody ever got fired for buying IBM".
Certainly they're as lazy and sloppy as Microsoft, GM, and most other
companies that have been around that long.  But I'm only referring to
what got them to their positions of power in the first place, which in
all cases involved a ruthlessness that makes auxlang zealots look like
sheep by comparison.

> Amongst some monkey primate hierarchies,
> the leaders tend to help the weak,
> and the rival(s) help the strong.

This is actually something I studied extensively while writing my
book, though mostly LPA/EEA peoples (Late Pleistocene
Appropriate/Environment of Evolutionary Adaptedness, which are the
conditions humans evolved to deal with).  But languages aren't people,
they're tools, and just as there's no real reason to keep carrying a
handsaw around once you have a good power saw, obsolete auxlang
candidates will be *replaced* by a better alternative.

> French used to be "The Auxlang".
> And before that it was Latin,
> before that, Greek.
> Simply the language of the dominant superpower.
> If as you say we are to have a global direct democracy approach.
> Then people must be able to participate,
> in the way that is easiest for them,
> in their own native language,
> or a close cousin.

Certainly this would be optimal.  Unfortunately this IMHO is beyond
our current technology, and I don't think we can wait for AI to
develop to the point to support this before implementing a new system
of government.  We may simply not survive as a species if we diddle
around too long.  Besides, there are additional benefits to having a
nice auxlang to use instead of even English (e.g., my wife will stop
asking me how to spell things!)

> If it is limited to anglophones,
> then it is an exclusive oligarchy,
> rather than an inclusive democracy.

As I've said (many times) before, using English as the basis of the
vocabulary is merely expedience, based on it's popularity as a second
language and the fact that it will become The Auxlang if we don't
create something better relatively soon.  A claim that I have yet to
see any of you make a convincing counter-argument against, BTW.

>> Of course it only works if both the language and the political system
>> are clearly better than the existing systems.  But then, I can't
>> imagine much lower of a hurdle ;-)
>
> :-) so what is your political proposal?
> And more specifically, how is your language necessary in order for it to work?

It's all laid out in my book (current draft of which is always
available as http://www.metacard.com/ThePlan.pdf).  The auxlang is
necessary because it requires common effort among people who speak
different native languages (i.e., you can't rely on an army of
translators when implementing a direct democracy).

Speaking of which, I went looking for translator employment statistics
for the EU and it turns out this information simply isn't available
because so much of the work is contracted out.  But the translation
budget is a whopping 330,000,000 euro per year.  Imagine coming up
with the couple of orders of magnitude more money necessary to run a
world-wide direct democracy. Another fun fact: English is the most
common target language (out of 24) in the EU with 15% of total
translations.  Next highest is French with 8% and most of the rest are
in the 3% range. More evidence that English is already becoming the
auxlang...

>> > What protection do the minorities have? One of the problems with a
>> > single global government is precisely the likelihood of tyranny: the
>> > disfavored groups would have nowhere to flee for refuge, and the
>> > temptation to expunge dissent would prove irresistible.
>>
>> So tribalism/nationalism is a good thing because I can always flee to
>> Jordan when my Syrian dictator starts killing my family?  Bzzzt,
>> thanks for playing...
>
> Personally I think neotribalism is great.
> If anything we need smaller polities, with greater diversity of policies.
> That can maximize diversity of life experience,
> and thus the survival chances of our species.

As you'll read in my book, I recommend this division which I see as a
solution to a lot of the petty conflicts we see in the world today,
and which unfortunately have a tendency to lead to wider conflicts
(WWI being the classic example).

> Why send to jail or worse, when can simply deport them to a polity where their "crime" is acceptable behaviour?
> Can still have larger overarching polities, to help maintain interpolity peace,
> but they need only govern interpolity relations,
> and not so much what happens within them,
> unless of course it affects other polities.

Exactly!  But inter-Locality negotiation is an important ability, as
is the ability to organize global action (on things like climate
change, guaranteeing fundamental human rights, etc., which transcend
Locality borders).
  Regards,
    Scott