CONLANG  July 2014, Week 2

CONLANG July 2014, Week 2

Re: Proto-Ulo (a reconstruction) and Sacral Ulok

Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Jul 2014 19:42:30 -0400

>>Is this an explicit attempt to make two related languages of similar inventory with perverse correspondences?  If so it kinda shows, in light of the switching of stop voicing which is fed to other changes to voiced stops in each case, and the opposite behaviour of the labialised stops in each case.  But if there's enough time for Ulok and Ulop to get so distinct and then to be brought together again so that they could undergo what seem to be areal later parts of these changes, like voiced stop nasalisation and /r/ > /w/, I'd also expect there to be lots of little context-sensitive changes to make things less clean, which you haven't shown here...

>>Or maybe not?  Your Mars languages, phonologically, have the extenuated, exhausted feel that I also get e.g. from the development from Austronesian up through Polynesian, merging and losing phonemes with no replenishment till all that survives is a small retinue of very common sounds (e.g. Ulop earns an /N/ by honest toil but doesn't get to keep even that).  I don't suppose there's a reason languages of that type would tend to be resistant to context-sensitive changes?  (Or on the first hand, is it just Bayes I'm seeing?)

The perversity was a result of thoughtlessness. This history of this idea is as follows: initially, I thought the three known languages Ulok, Siye, and Utu Nes were not able to be related at all, other than lexical and some syntactic borrowing. Then, later I'd been reading about Nostratic and New Guinea languages, so I tried to connect them, principally through the pronominal systems. This schema was far too complicated, so I ditched it, but not before some lexical entries had been made. Then, more recently, I realized that the Ulok and Siye pronominal systems looked too much alike for my taste. So I went back to the Elamite source which I had initially used for the construction of Ulok, and derived new endings for pronominal numbers and persons and the participial endings. But I didn't like that, either, not at least as the replacement for current Ulok. So I decided that some bits of Ulok resembled Siye by chance, and that Ulok and Ulop were daughters of Proto-Ulo. The attempt I posted here the other day was a first draft - I've already composed a second draft, which has less time depth, less bizarre changes, and a few etyma that are different because they never were related.

FWIW, Tide, the grandmother of Siye, does have the velar nasal - the disappearance of the velar nasal intervocalically was the first step in the eventual vowel contraction - as a coda, it created the nasal vowels. Siye and Ulok are "exhausted" because they are least common denominator, phonologically (and demiurgically, they were constructed with the opposite ethos of the 40 consonant phonologies of the ZBB). Another issue is that the orthography is inspired by ancient writing systems in natlangs, which fail to distinguish sounds that one might wish to be distinguished. Local dialects and unacknowledged languages have more diverse phonologies, although not particularly rich ones - American vowel shifts are a great aid here! It should be noted that one of my favorite languages is Hawaiian, and another Piraha!

On Wed, 9 Jul 2014 17:01:50 -0400, Anthony Miles <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>>The absorption of Ulop words into Siye vocabulary was facilitated by the third person animate suffix /-m/, which matched the oral-nasal contrast in Siye.

>Facilitated?  Perhaps the coda /-m/ would fail to obstruct these borrowings given that it had a reasonable rendering on the Siye side, but how would it facìlitate them, unless it matched morphologically with a Siye form too?

Perhaps facilitated is too strong a word.

>>Many place names on both side of the border, however, have origins in the Ulop tongue. Examples include the Sipu River (Ulok ‘fimu’, Siye ‘saki’), the Walong district (Ulok ‘tahlop’, Siye ‘kumayam’), and the Soliye Wastelands (Ulok ‘sonike’ black’).

>Place names in what language?  Neither Ulok nor Siye, evidently.  Is it Utu Nes?

The place names are Ulop, but the regions are now Ulok- or Siye-speaking. The Utu Nes language area is entirely within the Ulok-speaking area. And yes, there plenty of Ulok place names that have Utu Nes origins.

>>(I feel like I’m missing a feature in the Proto-Ulo reconstruction, that particular one which caused a reversal in the ‘voiced’ and ‘unvoiced’ stops. Any suggestions?)

>The sequence I'm most familiar with is that the voiced member comes to be breathy-voiced, then passes to aspirated, and then the aspirated : tenuis contrast shifts to tenuis : voiced.  This is not unlike Armenian, some languages of the Sinitic sphere, etc. (and I wanted to cite Punjabi, but no).  So some breathy voicing in the *voiced series could be original.

It's a neat sequence, but my second draft rejected it. The breathy-voiced > aspirated is a sequence I'm trying to work into Kingspeech, so I'll pass on it here.

>>*t	*tw
>>*d	*dw

>Phonemic rounded coronals are already a little weird; their not extending beyond the stops is a little weirder...

I really, really want to use them, but I bow to your wisdom and will use them elsewhere (a descendent of Mycenaean Greek, perhaps)?

>>One of the features of liturgical language is the use of conjunct-disjunct suffixes with the secular language.

>I'm not familiar with this use of "conjunct" and "disjunct".  What do they do?  Some crosscutting version of marking person, as seems to be going on in your examples?

Conjunct and disjunct are terms used in discussions of Awa Pit, a Barbacoan language of South AMerica. Fundamentally, conjunct marks the knower (1st person in statements, 2nd person in questions) and disjunct marks the other persons. In Awa Pit and Utu Nes, it is strongly tied to person marking rather than volition or agency, as it is in other languages alleged to possess this feature. It's a strange but workable system, not that Ulok's personal conjugation suffixes aren't, and since Utu Nes is the sacred language of the Ulok-speakers, every Ulo whose parents raised them right and taught them their prayers would know some. The Revivalists, of course, would say that many people's parents have been lax in this regard.