CONLANG  August 2014, Week 2

CONLANG August 2014, Week 2

New and Improved WSL: Now With Words!

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 12 Aug 2014 20:30:14 -0600

I got all my books unpacked, and I've been fiddling with WSL some
more. The biggest breakthrough is actually giving it some vocabulary,
derived from as much Armenian as I know with some Russian thrown in to
fill in gaps and made-up-stuff with various influences for function
words that don't have nice equivalents in either of those sources.

The number of Projectors has increased to 10: positive and negative
for assertions, queries, entities, questions, and copulas.

Queries (in my terminology for describing WSL) are requests for
information, what we'd just call questions in English. WSL questions,
on the other hand, do not ask for information, but represent the idea
or the description of missing information. E.g., "What makes water
wet?" is a query, and can be a top-level clause forming a sentence on
its own, while "I wish I knew what makes water wet." is an assertion
containing a question- it's an assertion about the description of some
missing information.

The 10 Projectors are:
Positive Assertion / Sentence (PS): ka
Negative Assertion / Sentence (NS): tce
Positive Query (PQ): em
Negative Query (NQ): mi
Positive Entity (PE): vor
Negative Entity (NE): votc
Positive Question (PEQ): vem
Negative Question (NEQ): vmi
Positive Copula (PC): sa
Negative Copula (NC): satc

The phonology is a simplification of Armenian. I have some
morphonological processes in mind, but I haven't put in the effort to
codify them yet. For now, I'm basically just writing down what feels
right, and I'll go back and reverse engineer the actual rules
(probably with lots of exceptions in them) later. The most important
bits for figuring out how to pronounce things below are that
[v]/[w]/[u] are all allophones of /u/, which I am transcribing as <v>
(/u/ -> [w] / C_V, /u/ -> [u] / C_C, /u/ -> [v] / V_), and that
orthographic <c> represents /S/ and orthographic <u> represents a
schwa. Also, letters in parentheses are elided.

So, let's revisit some of the examples I used last time around, and
see how things have changed.

Basic existentials still use the thing whose existence is to be
asserted (or questioned) as the specifier of a sentence:

ka cun=u es.
PS dog=SPEC DEC
"There exists something which is a dog (declarative)" / "There's a dog".

Topic marking in an Entity clause results in projection of the topic
argument, which gives us head-internal relative clauses which can be
used as part of a noun phrase:
ka ajn vor maz=u cun=am um es=u es.
PS the PE fur=SPEC dog=TOP LOC DEC=SPEC DEC
"There exists something which is the dog and at which is fur" / "The
dog has fur." / "The
dog is furry."

And other arguments can be added to an existential, which follows
naturally from the fact that existentials are not actually
distinguished from other kinds of sentences in WSL; "existential" as a
category only arises in terms of how particular WSL Nouns translate
into English.

ka muk=u ajn luvats um es.
PS mouse=SPEC the sink LOC DEC
"There exists something which is a mouse and whose location is the
sink." / "There is a mouse in the sink."

We can turn these sentences into questions just by changing the Projector:
em muk=u ajn luvats um es?
PQ mouse=SPEC the sink LOC DEC
"Is there a mouse in the sink?"

Using topic-marking in a binary query or question clause (i.e., one
with a yes/no answer, without question words) specified which
component is up for confirmation:

em muk=am=u ajn luvats um es?
PQ mouse=TOP=SPEC the sink LOC DEC
"Is it a mouse that's in the sink?"

em muk=u ajn luvats=am um es?
PQ mouse=SPEC the sink=TOP LOC DEC
"Is it the sink that a mouse is in?"

Note that the separation of the ideas of "topic" and "specifier" allow
for the independent encoding of predicate-argument structure vs.
semantic and syntactic projection. Different combinations result in
predication, attribution, and nominalization, without having to come
up with specific syntax for each of those cases.

I have also introduced some productive derivation! Embedding Entity
clauses for simple things like "furry" is overly complex, so any Noun
can be derived into a new Noun defined by it's relationship with the
first in one of two ways: the participial derivation says "this is a
new noun representing something that bears a specified relationship to
the base noun", while the attributive derivation says "this is
something that the base noun has a specified relationship to." Both
derivations are performed by suffixing a Role to the base noun,
followed by a participial or attributive suffix.That should all become
clearer with some examples:

ka muk=u luvats um es
"the mouse is in/at the sink"

luvats muk-um-in
sink mouse-LOC-PRT
"the sink the mouse is in" (muk-um-r == "the location of the mouse,
the thing that has the relation of location to the mouse")

muk luvats-um-r
mouse sink-LOC-ATTR
"the mouse in the sink" (luvats-um-in == "the thing in the sink, the
thing which the sink has the relation of location to")

ka ajn cun maz-um-in=u es.
PS the dog fur-LOC-PRT=SPEC DEC
"There exists something which is the dog and which is furry." / "The
dog is furry."

Here, maz "fur" has undergone attributive derivation to "furry"-
something which fur is on, something which is the location of fur. We
can use these derivations to come up with some useful translated
terms. For example, like Russian does, I am overloading the idea of
location / being at something and possession. Thus, "property" or "a
possession" is "a thing which is at something/someone", while a
possessor is "something/someone which a thing is at":

ka mek-um-r=u mek-um-in um es.
PS one-LOC-ATTR=SPEC one-LOC-PRT LOC DEC
"A possessor has a possession."

and "my" / "mine" can be represented as "jes-um-r" "something which
has the relation of being at me".

The participial derivation is so named because that's pretty much what
participles are for normally anyway; in WSL, however, you can form a
participle from *any* Noun / predicate (since there isn't a distinct
class of verbs), and for *any* role (like "mazumin", "that where fur
is", or "mekumr", "that which is at someone"). A simpler example,
which matches up nicely with English derivations, is that a hunter is
a thing that bears the relation of "agent" to hunting:

ka vorsa=u vorsa-ji-(i)n i es.
PS hunt=SPEC hunt-AG-PRT AG DEC
"A hunter hunts."

Cf.

ka gal=u jes i vorsa-um-in inz es.
PS come I AG hunt-LOC-PRT DEST DEC
"I am coming to the hunting grounds." (The thing that bears the
relation of "location" to hunting)

The lack of a topic in an Entity clause results in the proposition
itself being projected, thus forming a nominalized / complement
clause.

ka jes tcus vor kata=u velo a es jo nrav=u es.
PS I EXP PE ride=SPEC bike PAT DEC THM like-SPEC DEC
"I like bike riding." / "I like that bikes are ridden."

We can also topicalize *any* argument (again, because WSL has no
distinction between predicates that are nouns and predicates that are
verbs; they're all just Nouns).

ka jes tcus vor kata=(a)m=u velo a es jo nrav=u es.
PS I EXP PE ride-TOP-SPEC bike PAT DEC THM like-SPEC DEC
"I like bike riding." / "I like the riding of bikes."

ka jes tcus vor kata=u velo=am a es jo nrav=u es.
PS me EXP PE ride-SPEC bikes-TOP PAT DEC THM like-SPEC DEC
"I like ridden bikes."

Having done so, either of those can be simplified by using a
derivation. The appropriate derivation to preserve meaning depends on
the interaction of projection (topic) and argument structure
(specifier):

ka jes tcus velo-a-r kata jo nrav=u es.
PS I EXP bike-PAT-ATTR ride THM like-SPEC DEC
"I like bike-riding."

ka jes tcus kata-(a)-in velo jo nrav=u es.
PS I EXP ride-PAT-PRT bike THM like-SPEC DEC
"I like ridden bikes."

And with more sensible objects:

ka vor meck=am a bats=u es a jes um es
PS PE bag-TOP PAT open=SPEC DEC PAT me LOC DEC
"I have a bag which is open." / "A bag which is open is at me."

ka meck bats-a-in a jes um es
PS bag open-PAT-PRT=SPEC DEC PAT me LOC DEC
"I have an open bag."

Copular sentences, as previously explained, can sometimes be expressed
simply by a compound noun phrase:

ka jes mart=u es.
PS I man=SPEC DEC
"There exists something that is both me and a man." / "I am a man".

tce jes gin=u es.
S.NEG I woman-SPEC DEC
"There does not exist a thing that is me and that is a woman." / "I am
not a woman."

So far, these are exactly the same in form as existentials.
Existentials, however, semantically allow additional arguments; thus,
they have to keep the specifier clitic in order to indicate the
boundaries of Noun phrases. These kinds of sentences don't allow for
extra arguments, however, and simple existentials usually don't need
them.
"ka cun es" and "tce jes gin es" for "there is a dog" and "I'm not a
woman" are not huge savings in articulatory effort, but perhaps they
should be allowed.
In any case, allowing noun phrases to appear with no role *and* no
specifier opens up a useful new possibility.

ka mart=u jes es
PS man=SPEC I DEC
"I am a man"

tce jes=u mart es
NS I=SPEC man DEC
"Not all men are me"

When a bare Noun phrase is used after a specifier, the clause
indicates am explicit subset relationship- not just "there is
something that satisfies the constraints of both being me and being a
man", but "the set of entities satisfying the constraint of being me
is a *subset* of the set of entities satisfying the constraint of
being men." Conversely, the set of men is not a subset of the set of
"me"s.

This also lets me demonstrate difficulty of properly translating
conjunctions/connectives:

ka mart=u jes es isk tce jes=u mart es
PS man=SPEC I DEC AND NS I=SPEC man DEC
"I am a man but not all men are me."

Here, "isk" doesn't actually mean "and" or "but"; it means the logical
operator AND, which conjoins the truth values of two sentential
clauses. I'm thinking I might be able to sneak in the distinction
between "and" and "but" via the choice of modals later on.

This leaves the question: "if we can translate copulas already, what
the heck are the copular projectors for?"

Good question!

The copular projectors are for asserting the equivalence of entities
described by different intensions.

For example, "Venus" and "the morning star" are two phrases which
refer to the same physical entity; thus, examining only logical
senses, the sentence "Venus is the morning star." is completely
vacuous- it's equivalent to "Venus is Venus"- thanks, real
informative. ;P

However, it is entirely possible that you *don't already know* that
the denotations of those phrases can be identified with each other in
the physical world. All you know are two different intensional
processes, encoded by different phrases, that describe the
denotations. Thus, it is useful to be able to assert the equivalence
of different intensions. Which we do like this:

sa ajn vtru-(u)m-in astay=u Venera=u es.
PC the morning-LOC-PRT star=SPEC Venus=SPEC DEC
"Venus is the morning star."

Using the regular Assertion / Sentential Projector results in a
slightly different interpretation, in which multiple specifiers are
equivalent to a single specifier with a conjoined / intersected Noun
phrase:

ka ajn vtru-(u)m-in astay=u Venera=u es.
PS the morning-LOC-PRT star=SPEC Venus=SPEC DEC

==

ka ajn vtru-(u)m-in astay Venera=u es.
PS the morning-LOC-PRT star Venus=SPEC DEC

"Venus, which is the morning star, exists."

Note that the copular Projector *does not*, all by itself, assert existence.
Now, what if we want to embed a copula? Say, to translate "I know that
Venus is the morning star?" We need some way to indicate that we want
to project the proposition itself, rather than the truth value of the
proposition. In regular clauses, this is handled by having separate
sentential and entity Projectors, but there is no copular entity (why
not? there could be; I just decided I didn't want one). Instead, we
shall totally abuse the topic marker; in entity clauses, the topic
marker tells you what argument to project; in sentential clauses, the
topic marker actually indicates topic, as in old info vs. new info;
and in copular clauses, the topic marker simultaneously encodes
topic-comment structure, and indicates that we want to project the
proposition rather than the truth value. I feel like this is
deliciously naturalistically irregular. :)

So, "I know that Venus is the morning star.":

ka giten=u jes sa ajn vtru-(u)m-in astay=u Venera=(a)m=u es.
("Y'know Venus? I know that it is the same as the morning star.")

ka giten=u jes sa ajn vtru-(u)m-in astay=am=u Venera=u es.
("Y'know the morning star? I know that it is the same as Venus.")

WSL is just going to require you to encode topic-comment structure if
you want to nominalize a copula. And, of course, we can still use the
trick of marking one specifier and leaving a second bare Noun phrase
in order to indicate subset relationships. Cf.:

ka planeta=u Venera es
"Venus is a planet."

sa planeta=u Venera es.
"'Venus' and 'a planet' can refer to the same thing.'

A subtle distinction, and one that is probably never useful, but the
logical difference is there- one case is talking about the entities
themselves, the other is talking about intensions. Here's another
example of the distinction being employed in perhaps a more useful
way:

tce astay=u Venera es
"Venus is not actually a star"

isk sa astay=u Venera es
"but Venus is in the set of things that are referred to as stars"

Now that we understand copulas more fully, we can revisit some of the
previous examples.

First, we can stack derivations:

sa vorsa=u vorsa-ji-(i)n-i-r es
PC hunt=SPEC hunt-AG-PRT-AG-ATTR DEC
"Hunting is the thing which a hunter (vorsajin) is the agent of"

And we can identify things with their properties:

sa maz-um-in=u ajn cun=u es.
PC fur-LOC-PRT=SPEC the dog=SPEC DEC
"A/The furry thing is the dog."

satc luvats-um-r=u ajn cun=u es.
NC sink-LOC-ATTR=SPEC the dog DEC
"The dog is not among the things in the sink."

Now, let's talk about more complex interrogatives.

There are (so far) two basic question words: "ov" ("who") and "ic"
("what"). These can be used in questions/queries or in other kinds of
clauses, with different effects. If a question word is not inside some
kind of interrogative clause, it has the effect of a concessive,
indefinite, or universal quantifier. For example:

ka xos=u jes i vor zangj=u ov i es inz es
PS talk=SPEC I AG PE call=SPEC who AG DEC DEST DEC
"I talk to whoever calls." (No interrogative anywhere.)

em xos=u jes i vor zangj=u ov i es inz es
PQ talk=SPEC I AG PE call=SPEC who AG DEC DEST DEC
"Do I talk to anyone who calls?" (The matrix is interrogative, but the
clause containing the question word isn't.)

em xos=u jes i vem zangj=u ov i es inz es
PQ talk=SPEC I AG PEQ call=SPEC who AG DEC DEST DEC
"Who do I talk to who calls?" (Both clauses are interrogative.)

The fourth option, "ka xos=u jes i vem zangj=u ov i es inz es",
doesn't make much sense.
It's something like "I talk to the question of who calls."
A more sensible example of that structure would be:

ka giten=u jes tcus vem zangj=u ov i es jo es.
"I know who calls." (Not "I know the person", but "I know the answer
to the question.")

"-ever" words often  form adverbial phrases in English, and these can
be translated by the combination of a non-interrogative question-word
clause and appropriate connectives in WSL.

ka gal=u ov es jete ka nac-bats=u dv i ajn dvr a es.
S.POS come=SPEC who DEC then S.POS INC-open=SPEC you AG the door PAT DEC.
"Whoever comes, open the door." (more literally, "If anyone comes,
open the door.")

Here, I've introduced a derivational prefix "nac", attached to the
previously-encountered "bats" ("open"). This is an inceptive prefix-
it takes any Noun / predicate and produces a new Noun referring to the
set of entities that are about to belong to / are becoming members of
the base set. The word "jete", glossed as "then", encodes the logical
implication connective. And, of course, we can play around with
altering the Projector used in either or the coordinated clauses. To
begin with, we can simply ask a question:

em gal=u ov es?
Q.POS come=SPEC who DEC
"Who comes?"

Combining that once more with implication, we get:

em gal=u ov es jete ka nac-bats=u dv i ajn dvr a es.
Q.POS come=SPEC who DEC then S.POS INC-open=SPEC you AG the door PAT DEC
"Who comes such that you open the door?" / Who do you open the door for?"

em gal=u ov es jete em nac-bats=u dv i ajn dvr a es.
Q.POS come=SPEC who DEC then S.POS INC-open=SPEC you AG the door PAT DEC
"Do you open the door for anyone and who is it?"

Final thoughts for today are on adding quantifiers.
English (and most languages, as far as I know) have annoying
ambiguities when it comes to quantifiers. E.g., "Everybody knows
somebody"- how many somebodies are there? This basically comes down to
the ordering of logical quantifiers binding variables; English does
not specify an unambiguous mapping between surface form and underlying
logical form in that respect. In WSL, however, arguments can (most of
the time) be put in any order, and we can assert that the order of
argument phrases exactly corresponds to the order of variable bindings
and quantifiers. Thus:

ka giten=u ves mek tcus mek jo es.
"Everybody knows someone." / "Everybody has somebody that they know."

ka giten=u mek jo ves mek tcus es.
"Everyone knows someone." / "There is someone who everybody knows."

Where "ves" is a quantifier-word that overrides the default "there
exists" with "for all".

Quantifier words are clearly not the same kind of thing as Nouns, so
this introduces another part of speech to the language. That means I
need syntactic rules for where they go. There are two options that I
have considered: pretend that they are, in fact, Nouns, and let them
go in any position, in any order in a Noun phrase; or, require them to
go at the beginning. I suspect that the language will be easier to use
and understand if quantifiers have a fixed position at the beginning
of Noun phrases; however, one can make arguments either way about
which rule results in the simpler grammar. Something to mull over for
the "simple vs. easy" debate.

There's still a lot else undecided about quantifiers. Like, what
happens if there are Noun phrases implicitly conjoined by using the
same Role markers? Does it make sense for one to have a quantifier and
the other not? Can they have different quantifiers? Could that even
mean anything sensible?
How many different kinds of basic quantifiers do I want/need to have?
What about compound quantifiers ("at least 5 but no more than 17 of")?

Related to quantifier ordering is resolution of distributivity vs.
collectivity in plural entities. There are *sooo* many different ways
to handle that... I am not as yet certain whether it's possible to do
anything sane with plural entities. If I can figure it out, great;
otherwise, WSL will just live with that ambiguity, just like everyone
else does.

Oo, I should go through Patrik's loglang rules and see if I can't come
up with some really annoying demonstrations of ambiguity in the
distribution / collection of plurals. :)

The issues with quantifiers in some ways mirror the as-yet-unaddressed
problems I have with modals. Which ones do I want to have? Should they
include evidential info, or information about personal will /
intentions, or strictly quantification over worlds? As there can be
complex quantifiers can there perhaps be complex modals as well?

And that then leads me back around to pondering the extreme abundance
of "es" declarative modals. Every example I've given so far has one,
and it might as well just be a spoken period, which is kind of stupid.
Even when other modals are introduced, "es" will be ridiculously
common. The same can be said for the basic positive assertion
Projector "ka". I'm thinkin' I need to come up with some elision rules
for those.

So, that's the current state of WSL. Any questions or comments
after... all that?

-l.