CONLANG  September 2014, Week 1

CONLANG September 2014, Week 1

Re: Alien sexology (was: Native american altlangs)

Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 7 Sep 2014 12:50:25 -0600

On 7 September 2014 06:18, Alex Fink <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Sep 2014 16:54:02 -0600, Logan Kearsley <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>>On 5 September 2014 16:20, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>> Maybe, a "male" who deposits the gamete in a "conveyer" who deposits it in
>>> a "female"?
>>
>>That sort of arrangement is reasonably common in fiction, but there
>>are good reasons why it doesn't happen in real life. Reproduction is
>>hard enough when you have to arrange for two mates to consent, but
>>sexual recombination is sufficiently advantageous that we deal with it
>>anyway. Require coordination of 3 parties, and that species is going
>>to get out-bred *real* fast.
>
> If models where an individual has three or more parents are probably impractical, how about going in the opposite direction: does anyone have an interesting system wherein individuals have fewer than two parents?
>
> As few as *one* parent is uninteresting in this respect, that's just asexual reproduction.  But the honeybee system is somewhere in between: females lay eggs, males fertilise them; both unfertilised and fertilised eggs are viable, but unfertilised (i.e. parthenogenetic) eggs become males and fertilised ones become females.  Of course there are further complications: females come in two castes, one (normally) nonreproductive and one (normally) that there's only one of at a time.  And the honeybee has around 18 different sex alleles distributed randomly in the population; the requirement to become a female is in fact that you get two *different* alleles, so some fertilised eggs by bad luck get two copies of the same allele and so turn male anyway -- except that the workers detect and destroy them first, presumably so as not to have the hive overrun with drones.
>
> (So how many parents does a honeybee have?  If "sometimes one, sometimes two" isn't a good enough answer, if you want à number, I'd say the golden ratio: the number of ancestors of a bee  n  generations back grows like the golden ratio to the  n-th power, whereas for us mammals with two parents this number grows like 2^n.  Is there a viable system where this number is even less?)

The are lots of species that have either mixed parthenogenic / sexual
reproduction (like bees an other eusocial insects) or hermaphraditic /
bisexual reproduction. Incidentally, the "further complications" that
produce sterile honeybee females (and sterile worker ants, etc.) could
be construed as producing a third "extra parent" sex- they don't
contribute genetic material, but they contribute labor and resources
to ensure the success of the other sexes' reproductive efforts.

There are further multiple ways to handle parthenogenic reproduction.
There's the eusocial insect route, where males are males are
distinguished by haploidy, and develop from unfertilized eggs, and
then there's clonal parthenogenesis, where unfertilized reproduction
results in all-female clone lines. In that case, males are needed to
produce more males, or to produce genetically mixed, no-clonal
females. This strategy has evolved multiple times in Drosophila flies.
Sexual reproduction is usually preferred, so most individuals have two
parents, but some females have only one, bringing the average down.
However, there are situations that prefer pathenogenesis; for example,
while aphids have a wide range of reproductive strategies, a typical
cycle is for wintering females to begin reproducing via clonal
parthenogenesis in the spring, producing tens of generations of female
clones before switching to mixed production of males (produced by
dropping chromosomes, like in honeybees) and females. Once males are
available, they begin to prefer sexual reproduction to produce the
two-parent females that will hibernate through the next winter and
found the next year's clone lines. So, the vast majority of
individuals have only one parent, which really sucks down the average,
and a small proportion have two.

In hermaphrodite / male systems, self-fertilizing hermaphrodites can
(potentially, depending on how sex determination occurs in the
specific species) produce offspring of either gender that are not
clones, which reduces the preference pressure for disexual
reproduction, but which only have a subset of the parents genes, which
means that 1-parent lines eventually become strictly homozygous and
thus effectively clonal, so the preference for disexual reproduction
steadily rises. Depending on environmental details, you could probably
get any average parent number you want between 1 and 2.

On 7 September 2014 08:23, Leonardo Castro <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> > I wonder if "homosexual sexual reproduction" would be meaningful in any
>> > imaginable species. Can we accurately say that a species with both
>> > heterosexual and homosexual sexual reproduction would not really have
>> > sexes, but races instead?
>>
>> It is meaningful. It occurs in some kinds of algae (probably a few
>> more complex creatures, but I don't know examples off the top of my
>> head) that have only one gender which produces isogametes which can
>> fertilize with any other individual's gametes of the same species.
>>

> Oh, I see... I have not considered one-sexed species. I imagined homosexual
> reproduction in a species that has two sexes, but I don't know how it would
> be different from a one-sexed species with two races.

See above about hermaphrodite/male species. Given a hermaphrodite/male
split, you could have inter-fertilizing (rather than strictly
self-fertilizing) hermaphrodites, like snails, which have the option
of engaging in homosexual sexual reproduction amongst themselves, or
heterosexual reproduction with males, while males are restricted to
the heterosexual option.

> Maybe, a male-conveyor-female system could came from "gestation
> outsourcing" by some mutated females that eventually found more beneficial
> to transfer their fecunded ovules to other females, thus having more free
> time either to help the male find resources to the offspring or to seek
> other males and females.

Cuckoo birds. This sort of thing does happen as inter-species
parasitism. Arranging for it to happen within a single species is, I
suppose, possible, but I expect it would result in a
multi-gender-morph system (which is fairly common) much more easily
than a three-sex system.

> Those "conveyors" could also have flexible strategy: once they are
> fertilized by a male, they can either give birth disomic offspring or
> transfer the ovules to a female who would add another "som" and give birth
> to trisomic offspring. If the trisomic individuals eventually get more
> adapted than the disomic ones, disomic reproduction could eventually be
> abolished in favor of trisomic reproduction.

*If* they become more fit somehow. Trisomy/triploidy has evolve lots
of times for various reasons, but never as far as I know as a result
of a three-way fusion of gametes. You'd first have to come up with
some excuse for why the conveyor gain any benefit from *allowing* the
incubator to contribute genetic material. At least to start with, it
is in the conveyors' interests to exploit incubators to preserve their
own genes while preventing the incubators from reproducing themselves.

>> There are also species that have a split between males and
>> hermaphrodites / males and parthenogenic females (and at least one,
>> though I forget the name, that has a 3-way split between diploid
>> males, haploid males, and trip-loid parthonegic females), in which
>> males (or specifically diploid males in the three-way case) exist only
>> to sexually reproduce more of themselves. Thus, they acquire genetic
>> information from the other gender(s), but don't contribute any; you
>> could make an argument for calling them a separate parasitic /
>> symbiotic race.
>>

> Interesting! Are those males anatomically similar to the females? Or do
> they really look like a separate species?

"Look like" isn't a very good criterion for that, since plenty of
species have males and females that look nothing alike, or multiple
gender morphs of a single sex that look nothing alike. However, I
found the species I was thinking of (Squalius alburnoides, the Iberian
minnow), and it turns out that it is thought the species actually
evolved from hybridization between two other closely-related species,
where the triploid females and some males represent a sexually-mixed
hybrid lineage, while diploid males maintain an independent genetic
lineage back to one of the non-hybridized ancestors, and actually have
a separate sub-species designation, with the whole thing being
referred to as a "species complex".

Goldfish (Carassius auratus) also participate in a similar species
complex where triploid females reproduce by clonal parthenogenesis or
by mixing with diploid males.

-l.